Pearl: NYC/Canada/NE

DuckTollerFans

Hello -

We just booked this for a late May vacation.   I think this is a new itinerary for the Pearl (but been done on plenty others.)

It could be I'm not using the search function right - was hoping to see some dailies for the trip assuming that there's not that much variation even if it is a different ship.

Also, looking through the excursions - nothing even listed for the last 2 days: Portland and Newport.  Isn't that odd for only 90 days out?

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

I suggest you head over to the Canada/NE forum for great info on your ports. 

Plenty of options other than NCL tours.  (But yes, it seems odd not to have those posted now.)

Make sure to get a Holy Donut in Portland. The best donuts ever! 

Yep, I've been checking that forum too - lots of good ideas of what to do/not to do. Thanks for the donut recommendation.  I see Breweries in our future there too.

I'm guessing with such a port intensive journey the dailies will not be too full of activities.

We got the Excursion credits as one of our perks. Kind of comparing the NCL excursions to private ones. 

49 minutes ago, DuckTollerFans said:

We got the Excursion credits as one of our perks. Kind of comparing the NCL excursions to private ones. 

Totally understandable, we do that as well.  I would just caution you that there's just no comparison between a big bus tour with 50 of your new friends, and a small private excursion.   Or, in some ports, just DIY. 

BTW, in case this is of any help to you, here's the link to my review (with photos) of our Canada/NE cruise last September out of Cape Liberty (on Celebrity), including what we did (and ate 😊) in each port.  (I nicknamed it "the lobster roll cruise.")  I believe the ports that overlap with yours are Bar Harbor, Portland, and Halifax.

• Like 1

Hey, DTF ... I think I still have last season's Dawn N/E Canada ship excursion listing somewhere, if that help. They are overpriced as usual. For port info, did you see my semi-live review or that from "Shadow" with videos on YT.

Have a great cruise.

Henry

Hi Henry,

I found your listing from last year and made a ton of notes specific to the ports, etc.  Very helpful! I remember reading it last year.

Observation: The process with the border inspection (#63) I don't think our enhanced licenses mean much anymore; of course we have passports, too.  Part of the reason we liked the enhanced licenses was because we are about an hour away from the crossing on our end of the state, and was very convenient for trips to the Falls or Toronto.

I see many lobster rolls in my future.................

7 minutes ago, DuckTollerFans said:

<snipped>  I see many lobster rolls in my future.................

Cool, if you still aren't seeing shorex options & prices, post here & I will upload for reference ... under 100 days, NCL should be posting most of them by now.  Most definitely, do lobsters and/or lobster rolls in Bar Harbor, just walk up the small hill & turn the corner, great place.  There is a great place in Newport, RI for lobster roll (didn't do that during our tender stop) ... we're drove up there in July/August, wow - almost as good, not to mention Boston's waterfront.  I'll find the one in Newport & post here, next time we head north, definitely going there again, worth the trip (Uber or taxi over from the ship, about 15 minutes away or less from the harbor/tender point).  

I dunno about our NYS EDL either ... we clear CBP on the ship in Bar Harbor, faster than we're told onboard, tendering wasn't too bad - just watch for delay & doing shorex on your own, don't book a 10 am trip to Arcadia Nat'l Park.  Then, once back in NY, still have to get a quick passport check to exit the secured area of terminal.  

Actually, still got the Pearl on my short list, just not sure about repeating C/NE again - will see, don't be surprised if we book a last minute & pop up in the Roll Call.  Our house - downsizing, zero maintenance afterward - under contract to close later next month, packing & moving & not exactly in a cruise mode now.  

Later & best regards !!  Happy cruising.  

7 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Actually, still got the Pearl on my short list, just not sure about repeating C/NE again - will see, don't be surprised if we book a last minute & pop up in the Roll Call.  Our house - downsizing, zero maintenance afterward - under contract to close later next month, packing & moving & not exactly in a cruise mode now.  

Well, we got a guarantee obstructed ocean view at a great rate.  You might need to get away from all your moving endeavors!