Plugs and sockets

Karen Amiss

You can count on one US outlet and one 3-prong European outlet. 

Anyone who is cyber security savvy knows to never, ever plug a device into a public USB port. That includes malls, airports and cruise ships. If you do plug in, there is a high risk for thrift and exploitation of personal information on your phone. 

15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

there is a high risk for thrift

I'd love to read your factual information source regarding cyber security on a cruise ship.  Got a reference?  Meanwhile, I'll watch for some of that "thrift" at malls and airports. 😉

19 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

I'd love to read your factual information source regarding cyber security on a cruise ship.  Got a reference?  Meanwhile, I'll watch for some of that "thrift" at malls and airports. 😉

It is a fact that public USB ports have potential risks, but saying you should never, ever plug into one is a step too far.

For example, if you have a relatively new iPhone then you are safe as long as you watch out for the dialog box asking if you trust the computer you have plugged into. If that comes up (which is extremely unlikely) then there is an issue, and you should certainly not select "trust". Otherwise, the port is safe.

The risk on an NCL ship is remote. Depending on your device, it actually becomes zero as long as you don't click the box asking if it is OK to transfer all your data to the computer you have plugged into.

I did read a few articles about this a while ago. They all basically said that there is a potential risk, but extremely few actual examples of it happening in practice.

I use the USB ports on NCL ships when available. As long as you know what to look out for then it is very low risk.

Edited by KeithJenner

2 hours ago, Karen Amiss said:

Hi

I am sailing on the Norwegian Spirit next week, what sort of plugs do l need, eg, uk or USA and will there be USB charging sockets in the cabin?

Many thanks 

The Spirit used to have US, Europe and UK outlets, but I believe that they got rid of the UK ones during the refurb, so it is now Europe and US (which is the standard on NCL ships).

36 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

It is a fact that public USB ports have potential risks, but saying you should never, ever plug into one is a step too far.

https://www.kcra.com/article/rossen-reports-hackers-taking-advantage-of-public-phone-chargers/

I'll stick to bringing my Anker power block - https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-speed-pd-5/A2056111  It's a known entity as I use them all the time at home and work, there's no rick of it having been compromised and it doesn't weigh much or take up much room.  It also consolidates the USB charging needs into a single plug.  It goes in my carry-on so if I need it while on layover in the airport I can just pull it out and plug it in to an outlet, and I'm not stuck at one of those charging tables.

22 minutes ago, hallux said:

https://www.kcra.com/article/rossen-reports-hackers-taking-advantage-of-public-phone-chargers/

I'll stick to bringing my Anker power block - https://www.anker.com/products/variant/powerport-speed-pd-5/A2056111  It's a known entity as I use them all the time at home and work, there's no rick of it having been compromised and it doesn't weigh much or take up much room.  It also consolidates the USB charging needs into a single plug.  It goes in my carry-on so if I need it while on layover in the airport I can just pull it out and plug it in to an outlet, and I'm not stuck at one of those charging tables.

Yep, absolutely. Charging blocks are excellent. I use them a lot.

To be clear, I am not advocating using public USB ports as a first choice. I would plug into a normal electric outlet as my first choice. However, as long as you are aware of the risks, and for example know never to click “trust” (and never use that particular USB port again) then they are a lot less risky than was suggested by the earlier post.

We have three people in a room, so the USB ports are useful for charging, especially as they are near the bed so

you can use your phone as a clock/alarm, and the charging block also needs charging itself.

IMHO, ship's quasi "public" wall outlet integrated/bedside USB port(s) are just as secure (insecure) like the ship's open WiFi inTRAnet/inTERnet (which can be easily spooled & faked, not password protected) when charging ... depending on the device(s) you are connected to, its rings of security and what you store on it.  

Besides, the risks of your room steward or someone with access to the stateroom to tap that USB wiring circuits are relatively low vs. someone evil spooling a fake SSiD "NCL_shipname" for unsuspecting WiFi users to connect to, start pushing trojans and malware ... no worst than NCL marketing putting bytes & cookies via the browser interface or NCL App, each & every time you connect, on the ship and off the ship from elsewhere.  

Then, there are folks advocating using those free WiFi in ports and sit at Starbucks, Dunkin or McD's, etc. and probably not doing VPN tunneling ... you don't need to be exposed and/or hacked via an USB wiring tap ...  The "risks" - in theory - exist if you connect & plug into any wall outlets (could be electrical or wired Ethernet data network) for the paranoid.  

Invest in a quality standalone USB power bank ... 10,000 mAH capacity or equivalent, compact with enough reserve and TSA/airline travel-friendly to come along, and avoid directly charging your device.  Still worried, stay off those iPhones, iPads & smartphones, use a Linux laptop or Chromebook to go online as those OS are less vulunerable to hacking.  

Now, a word about those stateroom ip-based smart telephone system ... it has a (2-way) speakerphone function and if you are worried, disconnect it from the wall b/c you never know, "big brother" can be listening at 3 a.m.  Or, the interactive (smart) HDTV ... where you can use the remote control buttons to bring up your onboard account, it is "possible" in theory to capture all your "clicks" and "selections".  

In short, relax & if you are that worry ... stop using that RFID guest keycard as it is AI-based and you know, things can happen.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Then, there are folks advocating using those free WiFi in ports and sit at Starbucks, Dunkin or McD's, etc.

Nope, I won't use WiFi in ports.  My cell plan covers data use in most countries, costing me only $10/GB, charged at a per-MB rate.  I'll gladly cough up a few bucks to just use cellular data before I would connect to open WiFi in a foreign country if the same cell carrier's VPN won't secure me on said WiFi.

28 minutes ago, hallux said:

... I won't use WiFi in ports.  My cell plan covers data use in most countries, costing me only $10/GB ... if the same cell carrier's VPN won't secure me on said WiFi.

Ditto, Google Fi user, I am guessing.  

Back on topics with those upgraded plugs & outlets, other recently dry-docked ships in the NCL did NOT get a full makeover with upgrading the bedside lamp to incorporate USB charging outlet ... and if there is any kind of data mining going on behind the walls - it's NCL marketing tracking you, and minimal chance for NSA or MI5, etc. to be doing that (can track virtually almost EVERYTHING way upstream at the relay points.)  On the Gem and the Dawn, some of the staterooms did not and will unlikely - per ship's senior officers doing Q&A - get any future upgrade to add USB & electrical outlets by the beds .. costs/labor hours being the prime considerations, not a good ROI.   

5 hours ago, HuliHuli said:

Ignorance is bliss. 

Identity thieves use to rely on “Free raffle sign ups” for a free car. Now they just take everything from unaware people. Once malware is installed on your phone, it can sit dormant for months before waking up and start exfiltrating data. 

A “trusted” person could make several months pay for each USB port they compromise. 

Always use your plug to charge your phones 

Edited by BirdTravels

1 hour ago, hallux said:

Nope, I won't use WiFi in ports.  My cell plan covers data use in most countries, costing me only $10/GB, charged at a per-MB rate.  I'll gladly cough up a few bucks to just use cellular data before I would connect to open WiFi in a foreign country if the same cell carrier's VPN won't secure me on said WiFi.

Good, safe cyber security practice. 

“Free Wi-Fi” in the ports often are set up specifically for identity theft. Dumb Americans flock to give away their personal information.  

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Ignorance is bliss. 

A “trusted” person could make several months pay for each USB port they compromise. 

Always use your plug to charge your phones 

So I take your lack of "factual information sources" demonstrating NCL's USB ports are somehow hacked as evidence that you have no credible basis for your comments on that topic.

• Like 1