Why Do the Brits Like P&O

swjumbo

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

yes it’s annoying when there are no seats available but unfortunately some people think themselves above others. 

Where does this nonsense come from?!

I'm simply expressing an opinion that Select Dining venues should be managed properly and not allowed to degrade into common rooms. 

Edited by KnowTheScore

22 minutes ago, bodgerday said:

I sailed with Oceana three weeks ago.  I am not a seasoned cruiser, I have only been on five cruises in total, all with P&O. I have nothing to compare P&O with.  I too found standards had slipped.  I enjoyed my cruise ( I always do ) but the service and entertainment had gone down hill since my last cruise two years ago.

Lights blue touch paper and retires . . .  . :-)

I could not fault the price, so I took this into consideration.

Nice recovery

Our cabin steward could not do enough for us, all smiles and went out his way to say hello.  The day before we disembarked I gave him an envelope with a tip enclosed.  On the day of disembarkation I saw him, and he totally blanked me. Our table waiters gave us the menus and then asked us not to forget to give them a tip.

This aspect is more worrying.  Tipping has always been an issue and never satisfactorily sorted imho.  We are currently led to believe that all our tips are now essentially in the ticket price.  If your cabin steward and/or MDR waiters are hankering for tips and/or disappointed with what they receive then it's suggestive that P&O isn't passing our tips onto those people or that they have made it exceptionally hard for them to earn those tips.  Not a good sign but I was always highly sceptical whether the bean counters at Carnival passed 100% of our tips onto the staff.  Tipping remains an issue.  I think it always will.

With an American company it's all about " the dollar " Take Craft when they took over Cadbury.  The chocolate is not a patch on what it used to be, since they changed the recipe. 

This has been apparent for me (and many others) on P&O for the past 5-10+ years at least.

We all have our moans, but P&O is what it is. 

It's certainly not what it was so I'd say you are right, it is what it is though I guess that would have changed again by the end of the year.

33 minutes ago, bodgerday said:

I sailed with Oceana three weeks ago.  I am not a seasoned cruiser, I have only been on five cruises in total, all with P&O. I have nothing to compare P&O with.  I too found standards had slipped.  I enjoyed my cruise ( I always do ) but the service and entertainment had gone down hill since my last cruise two years ago.

I could not fault the price, so I took this into consideration.

Our cabin steward could not do enough for us, all smiles and went out his way to say hello.  The day before we disembarked I gave him an envelope with a tip enclosed.  On the day of disembarkation I saw him, and he totally blanked me. Our table waiters gave us the menus and then asked us not to forget to give them a tip.

Every night the Headliners performed ( the best troupe I have seen on P&O ) but you can get too much of a good thing.  They worked their socks off.  I had the impression they were the cheaper option.

With an American company it's all about " the dollar " Take Kraft when they took over Cadbury.  The chocolate is not a patch on what it used to be, since they changed the recipe. 

We all have our moans, but P&O is what it is.  I shall keep cruising with them because it's my type of cruise with no surprises.  I like the laid back Britishness of it.  It's not too loud or brash.  Oh and the price is right for my pocket.

There must have been a massive change of crew/attitude on Oceana since November. 

The staff were a delight and our waiters seemed genuinely shocked when we gave them a tip as, looking around, it was widely accepted not to. We did, but only because of the exceptional service. 

Our cabin steward ran down the corridor to say goodbye, the day after we had given him his tip, again for exceptional service. 

I guess it is luck of the draw because the waiters on Ventura at New Year looked disinterested. 

I get it that standards have slipped, but we have managed to have 13 fantastic cruises in the last 4 years, all good value for money. 

P&O are far from perfect, but I think the prices reflect that. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Just now, Britboys said:

Maybe we should draw the Glasshouse conversation to a close.  KTS is like a dog with a bone on this one - or is 'dog with a bone' another Select Dining experience... 😉

That's on Iona...😊

You are right to close this down, people in Glasshouses shouldn't throw knitting needles... 😊

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's on Iona...😊

You are right to close this down, people in Glasshouses shouldn't throw knitting needles... 😊

Andy 

So, 'Dog with a Bone' must be between the Keel & Cow and Hook, Line & Vinegar on Iona then... 🤔😃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

We all need a smile sometimes, especially as we are all doomed... 😊

Andy 

There are only two things  you can do , laugh or cry. I know which one I prefer.

Edited by Adawn47