Why Do the Brits Like P&O

swjumbo

2 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Can I just ask why Disney cruises have anything to do with this thread? The OP asked why do the Brits like P&O?

Nothing whatsoever but you get a bit fed up being told how P&O as gone down hill the food is not as good as it was the service is not as good all things we did not encounter, were just not educated to fine dining and waiting for your drink to arrive is no problem to us were to busy having a good time to bother to time how long my drinks took to come.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Nothing whatsoever but you get a bit fed up being told how P&O as gone down hill the food is not as good as it was the service is not as good all things we did not encounter, were just not educated to fine dining and waiting for your drink to arrive is no problem to us were to busy having a good time to bother to time how long my drinks took to come.

Likewise, we are very happy with P&O, we have also sailed with other cruise lines for many years but would still come back to P&O 😊

13 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Can I just ask why Disney cruises have anything to do with this thread? The OP asked why do the Brits like P&O?

It is giving comparisons, which I for one am happy to read about. Just because it's a specific cruise line thread doesn't mean that comments about other lines should be banned.

13 hours ago, davecttr said:

About the Glasshouse - The venues on Azura and Ventura follow the original concept of a relaxed casual bar where you can pay for food by the item. The have a dining area but the majority of the area is 'bar' and the bar itself is lengthy.  They even retain the smart casual code on formal evenings, although the P&O site states otherwise. The retrofitted Glasshouses in other ships show that P&O are trying to turn them into a restaurant, obviously because they make more money out of food than drinks. Take Britannia for example. a soulless place overlooking the atrium and declared formal on formal nights. this is a joke because it is a transit area so you get a constant stream of casually dressed people wandering through. Also true of Oceana, the Rotten Compost formal/ nah, it is the main access to the theatre.

The Glass House venues were introduced and designed as up and trendy wine bar/restaurants where they anticipated passengers paying for drinks, wine flights, lunches and evening meals.  They were originally sponsored or promoted by Olly Smith.  At that time they were exactly that.  Sparkling vibrant wine bars, a great place for after dinner drinks and even a special cheese board and equally good for an alternative lunch.

Somehow, somewhere down the line the drop in standards, quality and other cuts has reduced these Glass House venues to little more than a basic cruise lounge that just happens to sell drinks and food.   It's not too different to an airport café, a place with constant traffic running through (which isn't going to the Glass House) and full of people just using it for somewhere to hang out with little or no intention of buying a drink or eating food.  As stated earlier they sit there reading, knitting, sleeping and many other things.  That is NOT The definition of a trendy wine bar/restaurant.  It's just a nonsense especially when it's a venue where they charge extra money for the food. 

Edited by KnowTheScore

56 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

so sorry. 

that’s me and my over excitement at talking to others with the same interests as me. 

it seems A few of my posts have been deleted anyway so we are back to topic. 

I do apologise if I have offended anyone. 

the reason I mentioned it is that I would absolutely love to try different cruise lines. Love to. But they price me out. Therefore I cannot go on them. 

the OP asked why do brits like p&o. It’s because they are within my budget. They go from Southampton so I don’t have to take a plane and they are good value for money. I get what I pay for and i know where I stand. I know I won’t like the food, I have that expectation due to my personal preference (unlike some on here I don’t like pate or liver etc) 

unfortunately when You have a group of people trying to explain reasons why they like things that conversation naturally leads to another and another and you go off topic. 

I will try to reign myself in and stick to the brief of the thread. 

again apologies 

15 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

The Glass House venues were introduced and designed as up and trendy wine bar/restaurants where they anticipated passengers paying for drinks, wine flights, lunches and evening meals.  They were originally sponsored or promoted by Olly Smith.  At that time they were exactly that.  Sparkling vibrant wine bars, a great place for after dinner drinks and even a special cheese board and equally good for an alternative lunch.

Somehow, somewhere down the line the drop in standards, quality and other cuts has reduced these Glass House venues to little more than a basic cruise lounge that just happens to sell drinks and food.   It's not too different to an airport café, a place with constant traffic running through (which isn't going to the Glass House) and full of people just using it for somewhere to hang out with little or no intention of buying a drink or eating food.  As stated earlier they sit there reading, knitting, sleeping and many other things.  That is NOT The definition of a trendy wine bar/restaurant.  It's just a nonsense especially when it's a venue where they charge extra money for the food. 

On my Ventura cruises there always seems to be tables available if you want to eat, despite lots of people using it for relaxing and reading or similar.  Azura has a different vibe, it was designed specifically as the glass house, but is far less relaxing than Ventura and not to my taste at all, as a result I rarely use it.

I don't see why anyone would seek to criticise passengers who don't really want a daytime alcoholic drink, but do want somewhere inside to sit and relax.  On most ships there are very few inside areas to sit, other than in or near a bar or entertainment venue, you need to accept that others have also paid to use the ships facilities.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

ok there is traffic because you literally have to walk through to get the other side. Not sure how you can moan at that. There are parts you can not be disturbed if you pick one away from the sides. 

also I understand frustration in that sometimes there are no seats in these places, same as sometimes there aren’t any at the buffet. Yes it’s annoying but everyone has paid to be here and can sit where they like. I wouldn’t want to me made to feel like I couldn’t sit down with my family because I don’t have a drink. 
there’s not often times in which we don’t have a drink but there have been a few. I was in the bar past sindu on azura where there was no one in so we sat in there because I was really sea sick and couldn’t go anywhere else and my child was having a tantrum, was the least crowded place. We didn’t have a drink as that would have meant wAlking to a different bar. Did I feel bad, hell no. I can sit on the floor for all I like I have paid to be on that ship. 

where do you want 3000+ people to go while on a ship

10 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Well as so many have said on this thread I do believe it’s down to experience and you obviously had a very bad one. I would however like to say we enjoyed the Glasshouse on Britannia for a few lunches with good quality and value food and, the next time we fly, would like to use the airport you fly from if that’s the standard (and cost) of food in their cafe - when we fly from Newcastle we nearly need a mortgage to pay for a couple of coffees and pastries!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rupert2251 said:

All I was saying is that the thread was wandering a little off track but my earlier comment seems to have disappeared

I like it when threads wander, it shows we are engaging and not just answering questions. 

It doesn't stop us answering the original or any other post and the reality is, most threads do go off topic. 

Andy 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hobson1754 said:

Well as so many have said on this thread I do believe it’s down to experience and you obviously had a very bad one. I would however like to say we enjoyed the Glasshouse on Britannia for a few lunches with good quality and value food and, the next time we fly, would like to use the airport you fly from if that’s the standard (and cost) of food in their cafe - when we fly from Newcastle we nearly need a mortgage to pay for a couple of coffees and pastries!

We wanted to enjoy the Glasshouse experience on Ventura as we have on other ship's, but it was just being used as an overspill of the pub. Too crowded, too noisy and a lack of sufficient staff.

Britannia was fine as there is a separate area kept for diners, it is only around the Atrium and bar where you can just drink. 

Andy 

10 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

On my Ventura cruises there always seems to be tables available if you want to eat, despite lots of people using it for relaxing and reading or similar.  Azura has a different vibe, it was designed specifically as the glass house, but is far less relaxing than Ventura and not to my taste at all, as a result I rarely use it.

I don't see why anyone would seek to criticise passengers who don't really want a daytime alcoholic drink, but do want somewhere inside to sit and relax. 

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that there are generally tables available although when the weather is wet or rough outside I have found that tables become much harder to find.

In terms of the comments regarding where should 3000 people go on the ship, well there are numerous lounges, bars and venues imho.  On Ventura alone there's the extensive Tamarind venue, there is Havannah (often empty during the day), there's the Costa bar on deck 5 and all the atrium seating, there's the Metropolis bar at the aft of the ship, there's the Red Bar at the top of the atrium, there are sun loungers in the covered pool area, lots of seating in the buffet area and so on.

I think however that people are generally missing my point here.  The idea and philosophy of "Alternative Dining" venues where you are required to pay even more money for your food, is that they offer an "Enhanced experience"

Thus if you go to Sindhu you expect a lovely refined, tasty meal with excellent service which feels special and a cut above the MDR.  That's what you are paying for, an elevated experience and ambience and wider variety of food than the MDR.

You get this with Sindhu and the Marco Pierre restaurants but with Glass House it seems completely different   If you have people lolling asleep at the table next to you or sat playing cards or knitting then how is that any kind of enhanced experience.  You simply wouldn't find this in any restaurant ashore.   You couldn't turn up to even a local Nando's restaurant ashore and say "Hi, I don't want any food or drink thanks I just wanted somewhere to sit and do my knitting" !!!

Why then is this situation permitted in the The Glass House venues?    That's all I am saying.

To also be clearer I think the food served in the Glass House venues is fantastic.  Interesting and different lunches and the rib eye steak in the evening is delicious.  I just don't want to be eating lunch next to knitters, card players and sleepers, especially if I am paying a supplement for the privilege.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that there are generally tables available although when the weather is wet or rough outside I have found that tables become much harder to find.

In terms of the comments regarding where should 3000 people go on the ship, well there are numerous lounges, bars and venues imho.  On Ventura alone there's the extensive Tamarind venue, there is Havannah (often empty during the day), there's the Costa bar on deck 5 and all the atrium seating, there's the Metropolis bar at the aft of the ship, there's the Red Bar at the top of the atrium, there are sun loungers in the covered pool area, lots of seating in the buffet area and so on.

I think however that people are generally missing my point here.  The idea and philosophy of "Alternative Dining" venues where you are required to pay even more money for your food, is that they offer an "Enhanced experience"

Thus if you go to Sindhu you expect a lovely refined, tasty meal with excellent service which feels special and a cut above the MDR.  That's what you are paying for, an elevated experience and ambience and wider variety of food than the MDR.

You get this with Sindhu and the Marco Pierre restaurants but with Glass House it seems completely different   If you have people lolling asleep at the table next to you or sat playing cards or knitting then how is that any kind of enhanced experience.  You simply wouldn't find this in any restaurant ashore.   You couldn't turn up to even a local Nando's restaurant ashore and say "Hi, I don't want any food or drink thanks I just wanted somewhere to sit and do my knitting" !!!

Why then is this situation permitted in the The Glass House venues?    That's all I am saying.

To also be clearer I think the food served in the Glass House venues is fantastic.  Interesting and different lunches and the rib eye steak in the evening is delicious.  I just don't want to be eating lunch next to knitters, card players and sleepers, especially if I am paying a supplement for the privilege.

it’s because it’s different to sindu and epicurean that you are comparing it to. Those are both sit down table service meals. 
the glass house is basically a bar that serves a few small plates. Bit like the costa place you can get cake etc. 

these are places that are open for anyone to sit in. At sindu and epicurean you are having to book an actual table. 

I will sit in the glass house. Drink or no drink. I don’t knit and I wouldn’t have a nap as no one wants to see that but I would do a crossword and my kids like to draw etc. 
I’ve only done azura so no idea what the other glass houses are like but we have sat in there many times and we have never eaten there. It’s really just a bar/lounge not a restaurant! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

it’s because it’s different to sindu and epicurean that you are comparing it to. Those are both sit down table service meals. 
the glass house is basically a bar that serves a few small plates. Bit like the costa place you can get cake etc. 

I disagree.  Glass House IS a sit down table service venue.   You are served by dedicated staff, your table is laid out with place mats, napkins and cutlery and the menu is extensive.  Yes there are some small offerings if you are not too hungry but also there are main meals like fish and chips, steaks and much more.  There are starters, mains, light dishes etc etc.   It is absolutely nothing like a Costa bar and you should be mindful that you don't pay any extra for the sandwiches, cakes and other food at the Costa bar, it is all free so long as you are buying a coffee.  The food you buy at Glass House has a surcharge, because it is an "Alternative Dining" venue.    Costa bar is not alternative dining.

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

I will sit in the glass house. Drink or no drink. I don’t knit and I wouldn’t have a nap as no one wants to see that but I would do a crossword and my kids like to draw etc. 
I’ve only done azura so no idea what the other glass houses are like but we have sat in there many times and we have never eaten there. It’s really just a bar/lounge not a restaurant! 

You are simply describing exactly the problem I am outlining.  It IS a restaurant and an alternative dining venue yet it IS sadly being simply used as a bar/lounge.   The two imo don't go together.  It needs to decide which it is.   If it is the latter then stop charging people surcharges as if it were alternative dining.

• Like 3

For the avoidance of doubt here is the description of Glass House on their website:

"Headed up by the irrepressible, award-winning wine expert and P&O Cruises Food Hero, Olly Smith, The Glass House is the perfect location for a light bite, lunchtime tipple, afternoon apéritif or a tastefully informal evening out. And if you’re looking to match your chosen wine with your food you’ve picked the perfect place, as you’ll find helpful pairing suggestions in the menu."

Amongst the things you can order are:

"PRIVATE BANQUET FOR TWO GF

Great with: Malbec, Achaval Ferrer

6OZ GAUCHO BEEF PICANHA* with Chimichurri

4OZ FILET TORNADOS* with Béarnaise Sauce

RED WINE GLAZED STICKY BEEF SHORT RIBS

Served with Triple Cooked Chips, Portobello Mushroom and Plum Tomato

Various steaks: 

8OZ SIRLOIN STEAK* GF

6OZ FILLET STEAK* SURF AND TURF

with Garlic Prawns GF

8OZ RIB EYE STEAK* SURF AND TURF

Also

PRESSED PORK SHOULDER,

SLOW COOKED COLLAR

AND PORK HOCK BUBBLE AND SQUEAK

Roasted Carrots with Apple and Mustard Gravy GF

Great with: Corney & Barrow White Burgundy

Seafood

NEPTUNE’S BOUNTY FOR TWO

Great with: Grüner Veltliner, Höpler

SEARED SCALLOPS* with Sea Salt and Red Wine Vinegar

GARLIC BUTTER PRAWNS

MORNAY GLAZED HOT DRESSED CRAB with Lemon Mayonnaise

Served with French Fries and Baby Leaf Salad

Various desserts and much more

It IS supposed to be a proper wine bar and restaurant.   It is table service.

Unfortunately it is run and treated like a café/bar/lounge and is full of people with no intention of eating or drinking.

9 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

For the avoidance of doubt here is the description of Glass House on their website:

"Headed up by the irrepressible, award-winning wine expert and P&O Cruises Food Hero, Olly Smith, The Glass House is the perfect location for a light bite, lunchtime tipple, afternoon apéritif or a tastefully informal evening out. And if you’re looking to match your chosen wine with your food you’ve picked the perfect place, as you’ll find helpful pairing suggestions in the menu."

Amongst the things you can order are:

"PRIVATE BANQUET FOR TWO GF

Great with: Malbec, Achaval Ferrer

6OZ GAUCHO BEEF PICANHA* with Chimichurri

4OZ FILET TORNADOS* with Béarnaise Sauce

RED WINE GLAZED STICKY BEEF SHORT RIBS

Served with Triple Cooked Chips, Portobello Mushroom and Plum Tomato

Various steaks: 

8OZ SIRLOIN STEAK* GF

6OZ FILLET STEAK* SURF AND TURF

with Garlic Prawns GF

8OZ RIB EYE STEAK* SURF AND TURF

Also

PRESSED PORK SHOULDER,

SLOW COOKED COLLAR

AND PORK HOCK BUBBLE AND SQUEAK

Roasted Carrots with Apple and Mustard Gravy GF

Great with: Corney & Barrow White Burgundy

Seafood

NEPTUNE’S BOUNTY FOR TWO

Great with: Grüner Veltliner, Höpler

SEARED SCALLOPS* with Sea Salt and Red Wine Vinegar

GARLIC BUTTER PRAWNS

MORNAY GLAZED HOT DRESSED CRAB with Lemon Mayonnaise

Served with French Fries and Baby Leaf Salad

Various desserts and much more

It IS supposed to be a proper wine bar and restaurant.   It is table service.

Unfortunately it is run and treated like a café/bar/lounge and is full of people with no intention of eating or drinking.

that’s different from the menu I got. 

Small Plates
Available individually or your choice of three different dishes for £6.95
Spiced Lamb Skewers £2.75
Bulgur Wheat Tabbouleh and Sumac Yoghurt
Tempura King Prawns £4.25
Patatas Bravas and Aioli Dip
Popcorn Chicken £2.75
Sticky Korean Sauce and Kimchi Slaw
Peppered Cheese Polenta Chips £2.25
Romesco Dip (v)
Curry Spiced Seared Scallops* £3.75
Mango Salsa and Onion Pakora (gf)
Chicken Liver Parfait £2.75
Prune Purée and Rye Crispbread
Thai Beef Salad £2.75
Mint, Ginger, Basil and Jasmine Rice (gf)
Trio of Classic, Broad Bean and Red Pepper Houmous £2.25
Mixed Pickles and Pita Chips (v)
Sticky Oxtail Bonbons £2.75
Roasted Garlic Mayonnaise and Parsley Crumb
Hot Smoked Salmon Scotch Egg £2.75
Sicilian Capers, Celeriac and Apple Slaw
Confit Heirloom Tomatoes with Pesto, Garlic and Basil £2.25
on Sourdough Toast (v)
Smoked Wild Mushroom Pâté £2.25
Beetroot Crisps, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds and Grissini Sticks (v)
Large Plates
Steaks
All our steaks are from British reared Onley Grounds beef that has been aged for a minimum of 28 days
8oz Sirloin Steak* £7.50 (gf)
6oz Fillet Steak* Surf and Turf £8.50
with Garlic Prawns (gf)
8oz Rib Eye Steak* Surf and Turf £9.00
with Garlic Prawns (gf)
All served with your choice of Béarnaise, Mixed Peppercorn or Bordelaise Sauce, accompanied by Triple Cooked Chips and Vine Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
Sliders
Pulled Beef Brisket with Smoked Applewood and Truffle Mayonnaise, Piri Piri Chicken with Avocado, Lamb with Tzatziki £5.50
served with French Fries
Fish
North Atlantic Haddock in Cider Batter
with Triple Cooked Chips £5.50
Minted Crushed Peas, Homemade Tartare Sauce and Pickles
Sicilian Style Fish Stew £6.50
Tiger Prawns, Red Mullet and Sea Bream in a Rich Tomato Bouillabaisse with Saffron Potatoes (gf)

Meat
Pressed Pork Shoulder, Slow Cooked Collar and Pork Hock Bubble and Squeak £6.50 Roasted Carrots with Apple and Mustard Gravy (gf)
Vegetarian
Spinach and Ricotta Pasta Pinwheel £4.50
Bocconcini, Tomato Ragu, Béchamel Sauce and Toasted Garlic Sourdough (v)
Indian Feast £4.50
Paneer Kofta in Masala Sauce, Onion Bhaji, Dal Makhani, Kachumber Salad and Chapati (v)
Sharer Plates
Perfect for two to share
6oz Gaucho Beef Picanha* with Chimichurri,
4oz Filet Tornados* with Béarnaise Sauce,
Red Wine Glazed Sticky Beef Short Ribs £18.00
Triple Cooked Chips, Portobello Mushroom and Plum Tomato (gf)
Seared Scallops* with Sea Salt and Red Wine Vinegar, Garlic Butter Prawns, Mornay Glazed Hot Dressed Crab with Lemon Mayonnaise £16.00
French Fries and Baby Leaf Salad
Dessert Trio Plates
British Retro £4.95
Chocolate Candied Walnut Whip
Strawberry and Elderflower Chocolate Wagon Wheel Chocolate Sponge and Cherry Ice Cream Arctic Roll
Very Berry £4.95
Raspberry and Nutella Tart
Blueberry and Lemon Frozen Parfait White Chocolate Pop Cake Strawberry and Cream Doughnut
Asian Fusion £4.95
Sweet Sticky Rice and Spiced Chocolate Crepe “Sushi” with Mango Pearls Japanese Citrus Fruit Meringue Pie
Chocolate Ganache Wonton with a Matcha Green Tea Sauce
Don’t Miss Out – Gluten Free and Low Sugar £4.95
Chocolate Candied Walnut Whip
Blueberry and Lemon Frozen Parfait White Chocolate Pop Cake Japanese Citrus Fruit Meringue Pie
British Artisan Cheese Sharing Plate £5.50
Featuring Alex James’ Cheese, Quince Jelly and Fine Biscuits

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/life-on-board/example_menu

Edited by Vampiress88

12 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

I disagree.  Glass House IS a sit down table service venue.   You are served by dedicated staff, your table is laid out with place mats, napkins and cutlery and the menu is extensive.  Yes there are some small offerings if you are not too hungry but also there are main meals like fish and chips, steaks and much more.  There are starters, mains, light dishes etc etc.   It is absolutely nothing like a Costa bar and you should be mindful that you don't pay any extra for the sandwiches, cakes and other food at the Costa bar, it is all free so long as you are buying a coffee.  The food you buy at Glass House has a surcharge, because it is an "Alternative Dining" venue.    Costa bar is not alternative dining.

You are simply describing exactly the problem I am outlining.  It IS a restaurant and an alternative dining venue yet it IS sadly being simply used as a bar/lounge.   The two imo don't go together.  It needs to decide which it is.   If it is the latter then stop charging people surcharges as if it were alternative dining.

I assume you have raised these perceived problems with P&O, who are the only ones who could change the current practise.  However I doubt they would agree with you because as Vampiress has said, this is just a bar lounge that serves food. 

• Like 1

Oh I am quite sad to read that about the Glasshouse, perhaps it is different on every ship, I was looking forward to a nice little restaurant to have relaxing lunches. The menus I have seen are the same as Know the Score put up,  the banquets for 2 sound really nice, hoping to try a few 😊

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

this is just a bar lounge that serves food. 

I disagree

From the P&O Website:

"Select Dining is our wonderfully flexible alternative dining where for a small charge you can enjoy restaurants by chef Marco Pierre White and TV’s wine expert Olly Smith. We’ve also developed a few of our own speciality experiences to whet your appetite."

"Select Dining in a speciality restaurant gives you even more choice, many of which are inspired by Michelin-starred chefs such as Marco Pierre White. A Select Dining Cover charge applies in these restaurants"

The website goes on to provide the charges at each Select Dining venue and Glass House is included in that lis:

"Aurora, Azura, Britannia, Ventura

The Glass House - View example menus
All day dining – All items are individually priced on the menu"

"Iona

The Glass House - View example menus
A La Carte all day dining - All items are individually priced.
Starters from £2.75
Mains from £8.00
Dessert from £4.50"

The Glass House venues are supposed to be Select Dining Restaurants.   They are being used as common bar/lounges.

4 minutes ago, Elaine0138 said:

Oh I am quite sad to read that about the Glasshouse, perhaps it is different on every ship, I was looking forward to a nice little restaurant to have relaxing lunches. The menus I have seen are the same as Know the Score put up,  the banquets for 2 sound really nice, hoping to try a few 😊

Do try it Elaine, the food itself is delicious and different.   It's just that they've allowed the place to become a common room rather than a Select Dining restaurant venue imho.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Elaine0138 said:

don’t understand why I’m seeing a completely different menu? 

On azura there were different tables. There were a few near massive wine chillers that were proper tables and chairs for 4. Then there was a really long bench seat that we sat on with a small table in front of us. Hubby had a wine and I just had water. But no one came and took our order. I had to go to the bar both times. 

then there are seats along the outside where most people walk to get through to the other side. 
these were very low lounge type chairs with a low table in the middle. Perfect for us to sit at with a drink but I wouldn’t ever eat a proper meal at one of those. Could do finger food maybe there. 

3BBA0605-B1DB-45B6-B754-29A6BC31FCB7.png

Edited by Vampiress88

This is the glass house (azura)

943AF7CE-A5EB-4DB3-A83A-2EE1B1254853.thumb.png.07c21bf0e852e170e7ad4b531b3b10f1.png

This is the epicurean and sindu. 
you can see from how they are set up that they are not the same type of “select dining” yes they all charge more for their respective dishes but to me there is a difference between a lounge bar and a table service restaurant. 

6E77E161-7192-42B9-82D4-D6624DDB9CB0.thumb.png.6586a6f3229d62eecc5b03fda980e502.png

6C9C4064-B6F6-43BC-956E-D18A2D0561BB.thumb.png.c9efb7ee4c6c2e1a8dddfab4974c12a6.png

make of it as you will. 

unfortunately I will be one of those people who will continue to treat it as a lounge bar as that’s what it looks like to me. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

don’t understand why I’m seeing a completely different menu? 

On azura there were different tables. There were a few near massive wine chillers that were proper tables and chairs for 4. Then there was a really long bench seat that we sat on with a small table in front of us. Hubby had a wine and I just had water. But no one came and took our order. I had to go to the bar both times. 

then there are seats along the outside where most people walk to get through to the other side. 
these were very low lounge type chairs with a low table in the middle. Perfect for us to sit at with a drink but I wouldn’t ever eat a proper meal at one of those. Could do finger food maybe there. 

Yes that's Azura Glass House

I have had to sit in those very low chairs to eat a main meal I'm afraid.  In fact they used to do special Food and Wine Tasting evenings for a significant supplement either once or twice on a given cruise.  At least 3 course and special wines chosen to match each course including the lovely sparkling Ice Wein.   We did that tasting evening on 2 occasions and on one of them we were forced to sit in those ridiculous low seats.  They have always been a problem.  And I'm going back a few years.

You could walk into that Glass House (cough) restaurant and want a proper table to eat at and find that you just can't get seated because other passengers are treating the entire place as an airport lounge and hogging all the better seats and tables.  It's simply ridiculous and the staff ought to do something about it but I guess they can't.   Like coffee shops back home you get people who buy an obligatory coffee (or in Glass House a glass of wine etc) and then they deem they have paid for their seat and stay their 3-4 hours sat reading a book or knitting.

This is all I object to.  The food is great and the wines are mostly great but the ambience and former identity as a sparking and special Select Dining venue has somehow been lost and degraded.

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

You have complained previously about not being able to get seated in the Costa on level 5, but now you offer it up as an alternative to suit your argument!!! 

Unbelievable.. 

Andy 

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

You have complained previously about not being able to get seated in the Costa on level 5, but now you offer it up as an alternative to suit your argument!!! 

Unbelievable.. 

Andy 

That costa does get rammed though. 
I know one day I was there. Queue was massive but hubby 🙄 obviously wanted a coffee and being nice I went to get one. He went to look for a seat. Couldn’t get one in costa or that bar above (red bar?) 

we ended up going to the buffet restaurant with his coffee and it was so quiet. Hardy anyone there at all. We spent an hour sat there having a coffee and doing the crossword watching the ocean before we had to pick the terrors up from kids club. 

but that’s what places are like. Doesn’t matter if you on the high street or a cruise. If there’s no tables you find somewhere else. It’s the same at a restaurant they just tell you first or assign you one. 

think know the score just likes to moan. And I’m surprised that there’s someone who moans more than me