Crown Potentially Missing Ports

travellingnana

We're planning a Norwegian cruise on the Crown this June.  I don't mind if the port times are adjusted, but all of the ports are important to us.  If the ship will be skipping ports due to generator problems, will they advise us of the new itinerary ahead of time (so I can cancel the cruise if I want), or will we not find out until we are on board?  Thanks...

2 minutes ago, travellingnana said:

We're planning a Norwegian cruise on the Crown this June.  I don't mind if the port times are adjusted, but all of the ports are important to us.  If the ship will be skipping ports due to generator problems, will they advise us of the new itinerary ahead of time (so I can cancel the cruise if I want), or will we not find out until we are on board?  Thanks...

There have been several threads/posts on this.

Sometimes they will update the  itinerary before hand and sometimes changes are made during the cruise.  

By the time you find out it may be too late to cancel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

There have been several threads/posts on this.

Sometimes they will update the  itinerary before hand and sometimes changes are made during the cruise.  

And then there is always the hope the generator problem will be fixed by then, even sooner I hope.

Judy in SW Florida

Have you looked at other voyages to Norway?  Even on a different cruise line, you might find the ports that you will like and hopefully without the problems that the Crown has.  You should have the time to make a change in plans if you do it now. I don't know how your air would work out.

5 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

Have you looked at other voyages to Norway?  Even on a different cruise line, you might find the ports that you will like and hopefully without the problems that the Crown has.  You should have the time to make a change in plans if you do it now. I don't know how your air would work out.

At the time I booked this I felt it had the best itinerary, and  it was one of the few ships going to Flam...the main port I don't want to miss.  

Here is a link to a website that will calculate the time needed to navigate between ports. https://sea-distances.org/ My understanding is that the Crown's top speed is about 18 knots. You can plug in the stops on your itinerary and compare the times to the Crown's schedule. I did this for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise on her. I'm sure there are plenty of variables that could affect the actual sailing time, but it might help you to know whether it will be tight or not. Good luck!

17 minutes ago, JerrySueW said:

Here is a link to a website that will calculate the time needed to navigate between ports. https://sea-distances.org/ My understanding is that the Crown's top speed is about 18 knots. You can plug in the stops on your itinerary and compare the times to the Crown's schedule. I did this for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise on her. I'm sure there are plenty of variables that could affect the actual sailing time, but it might help you to know whether it will be tight or not. Good luck!

Wow...thank you for this!!

On 2/23/2020 at 2:05 PM, JerrySueW said:

Many thanks for this link - it is very helfpul.  I put in all of the ports on the sailing we are looking at and it seems it will work at 18 knots.  Fingers are crossed that is the case!

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 4:04 PM, travellingnana said:

At the time I booked this I felt it had the best itinerary, and  it was one of the few ships going to Flam...the main port I don't want to miss.  

I hope that is works out for you and you do get to visit Flam.

2 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Many thanks for this link - it is very helpful.  I put in all of the ports on the sailing we are looking at and it seems it will work at 18 knots.  Fingers are crossed that is the case!

Further to the above, I asked my TA to see if Princess could give any indication about whether they anticipate being able to get to all of the ports on the itinerary we are interested in.  If we can look up distances and speed and make a guess, I think that Princes with their greater experience in scheduling would be able to explore this too.  I realize that ports can still be missed/shortened for other reasons (weather, etc.) but I do think it would be fair for Princess to provide info about what guests should expect for all itineraries on the Crown on all sailings scheduled until the ship is repaired.   It is so frustrating that they are not providing any information.  I guess they expect us to book the cruise and be okay with getting this info at the last minute (possibly after final payment).  I think it is reasonable to expect them to provide more about the impact of the generator problem now.  I'm having a lot of trouble deciding whether to risk it and book on the Crown or do a land tour instead.