first time using Alaska Air miles/comp fare; I have 4 people

Kellie in Texas

Flying from Austin, TX to Vancouver mid-June 2020 for a cruise departing June 14. We are flying in June 13 and staying two extra days after the cruise. I have never used a credit card with a mileage plan; frankly, we rarely fly anywhere.  But the Alaska Air Visa card had a deal for 40,000 miles if you spent at least $2,000 during the first 90 days (which we did ... and then paid off as soon as the miles were awarded :D).  I also have a $99 companion fare that's good until Oct. 2020.

We have four people going; I tried to reserve flights with the companion fare code but it limited me to only 2 passengers.  I got on the chat and "Jade in Phoenix" told me that I could do a mock booking to make sure there were four seats that we wanted, but that I would have to do two actual bookings -- one for myself and DH using the companion fare and then a second for our two sons (ages 18 and 27).  

I am surprised that the Alaska Air website isn't programmed to allow the companion fare for the second person and then still add a 3rd and 4th.  I'm thinking I'll use the miles to upgrade to premium seats (I don't think I have enough miles at this point to actually buy tickets).  

Is that the correct way to handle this type of reservation? Any hints?  I've read the Alaska Air website regarding using the companion fare and miles, but didn't see anything specific about combining all of that for four people on one reservation. 

Yes, the rep was correct, you can only book 2 seats at a time when using a companion certificate. Your sons will have to go on a separate reservation, not a big deal at all. Just make sure there are 4 seats available on the flight you want before you start the booking process.

Edited by WildBlueYonder64

13 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

I am surprised that the Alaska Air website isn't programmed to allow the companion fare for the second person and then still add a 3rd and 4th.  I'm thinking I'll use the miles to upgrade to premium seats (I don't think I have enough miles at this point to actually buy tickets).  

Is that the correct way to handle this type of reservation? Any hints?  I've read the Alaska Air website regarding using the companion fare and miles, but didn't see anything specific about combining all of that for four people on one reservation. 

Yes, Delta is the same way and probably other airlines.  Likewise, you can't book two people with miles and two people with cash on the same ticket; it would have to be 2 separate transactions.  Each type of ticket has it's own rules and restrictions, so that's why you can't combine different types of tickets on the same reservation.

16 hours ago, Kellie in Texas said:

I'm thinking I'll use the miles to upgrade to premium seats (I don't think I have enough miles at this point to actually buy tickets).  

Here's what the Alaska website says on upgrading: 

When traveling on a companion fare, you are eligible for all upgrades we offer. You can upgrade using miles, elite + companion upgrades, guest upgrades, or paid upgrades that may be offered at check-in. You and your companion must travel together on the same reservation, in the same cabin, and upgrade space must be available for both guests.

We can’t separate guests traveling on a companion fare into separate cabins, or upgrade you at separate times. Except for the companion upgrade allowed for our Gold and 75K elite members, both guests must use the same type of upgrade. (For example, a guest upgrade and an upgrade using miles can’t be combined.)

What you can do is call Alaska customer service and ask them to link the passenger name record/PNR/record locator. Tickets and groups of tickets are contained in this virtual folder known as a PNR and linking PNRs is a manual entry in the system that will help (but not guarantee) keeping your party together in the event of flight delays or other irregular operations where you may need to be rebooked by the airline. 

20 hours ago, sumiandkage said:

What you can do is call Alaska customer service and ask them to link the passenger name record/PNR/record locator. Tickets and groups of tickets are contained in this virtual folder known as a PNR and linking PNRs is a manual entry in the system that will help (but not guarantee) keeping your party together in the event of flight delays or other irregular operations where you may need to be rebooked by the airline. 

Just to be clear, unless the Alaska system works differently than others, "linking" two different PNRs (reservations) just means someone puts a note in the comments screen.  The computer doesn't really know they're linked so automatic rebookings may or may not end up on the same new itinerary.  A person has to read the note in the comments screen to know that the parties are flying together.