Cancellation Fees??? on MSC USA...cruise over year away

Kelownabccan

Booked at cruise that was for Sept 2021...a year and half from now.....booked it on the web...MSC USA as from  North America....used my Voyager # and got the 5% discount.....was happy but a few days later noticed that going on the Voyager section the same cruise was there with discount code...MSCGV510....an extra 10% off.....

Phoned and tried to get a re fare....but that was hard and sat on the phone for 45 minutes and in the end the agent said just cancel and go on the web and book the cruise again yourself with the higher discount....at no time did she say there was a fee to cancel....got the cancellation notice by email a few minutes later and my refundable deposit was $100 short.....$50 for me and $50 for wife....just sent an email wanting an explanation but thought I would post here.....is this usual practice for MSC ??? as other mainstream lines give a full refund if 3/4 months ahead of the cruise leaving....this is a year and half ahead.......if no follow up on email will phone in a day or two to see what is up......

Two ideas:  (1) call back and explain all this to the MSC rep – if they don't agree, hang up and call back again and see if another rep has better info; (2) then once this is all settled, transfer the reservation to a Travel Agent who will give you $$ back out of their commission.

But, sorry, don't ask on Cruise Critic for recommendations of Travel Agents – strictly verboten.

Sorry to hear that yet another customer has to deal with the incompetence of MSC's customer service.  This has been a problem for years.  Even now with new top brass at MSC USA they have yet to remedy their growing pains.  Once it took me four months to get a refund of my deposit on a legally cancelled cruise, only after lodging a dispute through my credit card company.  Hopefully this will work out for the OP without additional 45 minute hold times.

15 hours ago, Kelownabccan said:

nope...just a regular cruise....and payment.....wonder if someone at MSC will check it out for me.....may phone tomorrow to see what is up with the charge.....

I cancelled January cruise last week got my deposit back already no deduction. 

Phoned today....got a agent who seemed to know stuff....great.....she is sending the request for the money over to the accounting dept....there was some boo boo made somewhere with the cancellation.....the $50 each charge was for date change.......do not know why that came up .....someone pushed the wrong key???......code was Dept Date Change  FA/AU/YC/WEL....anyways will see if it shows up in my account in a week or so...thanks for replies...