Charleston really that bad??

missholly24

I fell into a bad review well re: leaving from Charleston. Was about to hit the "book it" button 

for Sunshine out of Charleston in August but super hesitant now. I don't usually fall into the

bad review trap, but they sounded convincing. Traffic jams and delays and Ubers refusing to

even take people there?! The police even had to be called to fix a gridlock?!

I'm guessing it could be true because Charleston doesn't really NEED a cruise ship.....Does anyone

have any firsthand experience with leaving from there? (without a car, we are flying in to airport). 

Thank you!

I have a coworker that cruises from Charleston every year and she has never mentioned anything like this. In fact, she is on a cruise right now. We do not cruise from Charleston, mostly because of the ship and cruise line. I can check in with her at work next week and come back out here and post.

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed from Charleston last August. We flew in the day before and took Uber to the port. It was easy and fast. We had no traffic and we were dropped off at the gate. When they opened the gate-we got there early and waited about 10 minutes- we left our bags with a luggage collector and walked right into the check-in building. We had a very pleasant experience from beginning to end. Please don't let one bad review make your decision for you. 

Thousands of people depart weekly on the cruise ship from Charleston.  Downtown traffic can be challenging at times, but I suspect the reviews you read were tainted by other situations that perhaps the writer wasn't aware of.  There may have been something else going on that day that was affecting traffic, making port traffic worse on that particular day for example.  I live in the Charleston area and there is no widespread issue like you describe that I am aware of.