Public spaces and inclement weather

eddie11

Is there a topic here?

What should cruisers do on sea days where the weather does not support using outdoor space?  Is it acceptable to use any public space for ‘just sitting’, or does use of a chair require purchase of a beverage, at least?  Should the Entertainment crew do more or are there enough ‘indoor events’ through the day?  Are the theatres used efficiently or could they be used more to show films, or to repeat speakers offerings?

This issue is one which puts me off ‘cold weather cruises’.  The other is the fact that it is so ccccccold near exterior doors, both sea days from smokers going in and out and port days when the gangway leads from public decks.  Plus potential bad weather and consequent change of schedule.  Not for me.  I’ll admit to being a wuss

As the ships I sail on normally have a Crows Nest, I usually end up there for a portion of the day (usually in the afternoon) in inclement weather.  I sometimes have a soft drink but not always. I often go for a coffee in the buffet late mid-morning. I do think people should be able to sit where they want regardless of whether they wish to eat or drink.  I would however try to vacate a table if in an obvious dining area, which some may not.  As I said in another thread, the large mass-market ships tend to have very few lounge areas these days but I think the crew happily accept that pax will use some food & beverage areas just as somewhere to sit.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Britboys said:

As the ships I sail on normally have a Crows Nest, I usually end up there for a portion of the day (usually in the afternoon) in inclement weather.  I sometimes have a soft drink but not always. I often go for a coffee in the buffet late mid-morning. I do think people should be able to sit where they want regardless of whether they wish to eat or drink.  I would however try to vacate a table if in an obvious dining area, which some may not.  As I said in another thread, the large mass-market ships tend to have very few lounge areas these days but I think the crew happily accept that pax will use some food & beverage areas just as somewhere to sit.

I concur.

When I first started cruising in the 1990s most ships had lounges which were not bar rooms. Waiters would be available to bring drinks if required but the lounges did not contain an actual bar, and there was no implied pressure to buy a drink. These have since largely dissappeared (along with cinemas) as every area on the ship is expected to earn onboard revenue. A retrograde step imo.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Denarius said:

I concur.

When I first started cruising in the 1990s most ships had lounges which were not bar rooms. Waiters would be available to bring drinks if required but the lounges did not contain an actual bar, and there was no implied pressure to buy a drink. These have since largely dissappeared (along with cinemas) as every area on the ship is expected to earn onboard revenue. A retrograde step imo.

Had a glance at a spreadsheet last cruise at the reception desk, which seemed to show about a dozen or more profit centres (depts.) and their target and actual revenue as %tage increases.

It was quickly hidden away as I tried to see it more clearly. 

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I actually find you can sit in some places in the day where they don't offer you a drink! I was actually disappointed as I wanted one 😁

I had that too in the glass house. Was there a while and ended up going to the bar myself twice. Was mortified I had to walk a few feet 😁

I think that if it is a “dining room” such that it’s a mdr where people specifically go to eat breakfast,lunch,dinner or if it’s a formal table service restaurant that you have to book and they will assign you a table these are all venues specifically for food then these should be kept as such. 

if it’s a bar, coffee room or buffet then so long as it’s not at peak times then it’s free for all

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've done a few cruises where the weather has been pleasant rather than hot.

Britannia on a Transatlantic,for the first couple of days whilst it was cool we ended up using the Crows nest or the Sunset bar for a bit of a chill out space, to read, play cards etc. I found that for a couple of days there was enough entertainment on though to be fair we hadn't been on the ship before otherwise we might heave felt different. 

Azura, we took a mini break for a week in May last year, the weather was a bit mixed but we were a fairly port intensive cruise, so the facilities didn't matter as much. We used the high level bar at the back of the ship as a chill space. we did find on the sea days the atrium space was pretty packed. We had a really nice balcony to escape too. 

We've also done a 12 day cruise in November to Spain and Portugal with Cunard last year, we lucked with the weather. It was warm enough for lunch on deck most days. This was my first time on Cunard and I will say that the entertainment options were better than P&O art/ craft/ dancing/ fencing options, with better talks on board too.

Hope that the above helps

We came back  week or so ago from the Oceana cruise to Spain and Portugal. Six ports and seven sea days. We were quite disappointed with the sea day entertainment. Gone are the days where you had two speakers plus a classical pianist. We had one speaker who gave seven talks which were not to our liking but enjoyed by others.

The programme seemed to be filled with sales related talks (art gallery, shore excursions etc). We didn't even get the usual interview with the Headliners, Captain, Chief Engineer etc. Little thought seemed to have been given to the programme plus oddly we haven't had the usual questionnaire by e mail since we arrived home. Perhaps it was because this was one of the replacement cruises when the Oceana was relocated from the planned Dubai cruises.

However, ignoring all my moans about the sea day entertainment it was still a good cruise with the added excitement of crossing the Bay of Biscay at full speed to beat Storm Dennis.

On 2/27/2020 at 10:29 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

Metropolis and Planet Bar are indeed on the top deck at the back of Ventura and Azura.  Crows Nest is above the bridge on Aurora, Arcadia and Britannia.  Unfortunately Oceana doesn't have a similar high up panoramic bar area, though some people use the buffet as one.

Apparently the buffet on Oceana was used as a lounge bar back in the days when buffets did not open in the evening. There is still a largish bar there and the raised area used to have a dance floor?

I frequently sit in lounges and bars to read without buying a drink and have never had a problem. It's perhaps a bit selfish to do this in the buffet when busy but can't see a problem in other areas. In fact, it's often the case that I want a drink but a server is nowhere to be seen!

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

Apparently the buffet on Oceana was used as a lounge bar back in the days when buffets did not open in the evening. There is still a largish bar there and the raised area used to have a dance floor?

I remember those days.

The Plaza area at the front of the ship occupied by the Crows Nest on Aurora and Britannia was designed as a dual purpose facility. A buffet restaurant at breakfast and lunch, and a lounge bar in the evenings. To the latter purpose, it had a sit up bar (still present) a circular wooden dance floor (now carpeted over but probably still there underneath) and a small bandstand. Despite the latter, I never recall it being used as a music venue, instead it was used as a venue for quizes etc. All this ended when the buffet started opening in the evening.

On our recent Oceana Cruise they were using this area at night for the syndicate quiz. So we were able to eat our cheese and biscuits whilst listening to the questions which we wouldn't have been able to answer had we been participating!

• Haha 1