Manhattan Cruise Terminal, Penn Station, and NCL Disembark

kesrya

On 2/8/2022 at 9:54 AM, navybankerteacher said:

If BWI (or any other station)  is convenient to your home,  Amtrak really makes sense because Penn Station (Moynihan Train Hall) is so convenient to the Manhattan cruise terminal.  Avoiding the driving (I 95 and crossing into Manhattan) and the parking fees is great — and the Amtrak fares, if paid well in advance, can be very reasonable.

Thank You. I grew up in Baltimore County and now live about an hour from BWI now just south of DC. Figuring we could park at the garage at BWI/Amtrak. Now trying to decide whether to travel the day of the cruise or the day before. 

12 minutes ago, dewb5359 said:

Thank You. I grew up in Baltimore County and now live about an hour from BWI now just south of DC. Figuring we could park at the garage at BWI/Amtrak. Now trying to decide whether to travel the day of the cruise or the day before. 

I generally like to get to any port the day before --- and as a former long term NYC resident I always feel that a trip to the city for any reason is a good idea.  It would add hotel and meal costs, of course;  but, as long as you're passing through the city, you might want to hit one or two highlights.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dewb5359 said:

I always take Amtrak from DC for cuises out of New York and Bayonne and I usually go a day early. There could aways be a service disruption. Never happened when I was taking the train to a cruise but over the years had people commiting suicide by train. That could be a few hours delay as they can't move the train until a coroner arrives. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I always take Amtrak from DC for cuises out of New York and Bayonne and I usually go a day early. There could aways be a service disruption. Never happened when I was taking the train to a cruise but over the years had people commiting suicide by train. That could be a few hours delay as they can't move the train until a coroner arrives. 

Thank You!

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Never had a death on the tracks, thankfully, while traveling. But there are plenty of other ways for the train to get delayed. Fortunately, not often.

In normal times, I take multiple trips from DC to NYC per year by Amtrak. If I need to travel the day of an event, I usually suck it up and take the Acela since it seems to almost always (not always; it is Amtrak) on time. And it's now all reserved seating so you can get a seat in the quiet car when you book the ticket. But it's generally enough more expensive than the NE Regional that a night in a hotel is cheaper, unless you're also planning on eating and shopping 😆!

• Like 1