DePalm Island, Aruba

sherri.l

We are cruising next week on the Destiny and a large group of us are planning to go to DePalm Island. Has anyone been there recently? I've been reading some mixed reviews concerning the reef (one said it was dead, totally brown) and that it gets really crowded. just want to know if its worth going to . Appreciated any opinions

sherri.l

DH and I were at DePalm Island last year. The coral was brown, but there were a lot of very colorful fish and the water was very clear. It was not crowded at all the day we were there. The facilities were vey clean and we would go there again.

We stopped in Aruba last Thursday and did the DePalm excursion through Princess. $42. We had a very good time there and would recommend it. I thought the snorkeling was very good. Yes, the coral is brown, but lots of fish and other sea life. The coral starts immediately at the shore, no long swims or boat rides to get there. The food was only so-so, but everything else was great.

We were in Aruba last April and we took a "snuba" tour to DePalm Island. The island was beautiful. Like I said we did "snuba" the coral isn't as pretty as some I've seen in the Caribbean but it was still pretty, it just didn't have as many bright colors as some. We still saw lots of fish though, one fish even came up and tried to "kiss" us, it had been trained to come up to your mask if it wanted a treat. The water was pretty cloudy but it was also very choppy that day and it was pretty crowded so that is probably why. We didn't have trouble seeing the coral or the fish though, it wasn't that cloudy. There were tons more people snorkeling than there were doing the "snuba" I'd highly recommend the snuba if you have the opportunity, it takes snorkeling to the next level. They also have a lunch area set up where you can eat (BBQ type lunch but also with hot dogs and hamburgers) and drink, all of it was included in our tour, I think it was included with everyone else's as well though because I didn't see anyone taking any money. I'd defianately go back, even if it was just for the snuba.

• 2 weeks later...

If one does not like to snorkel, is there a beach area with a gentle slope into the water? Also, Princess offers a moring and an afternoon tour, buti it seems that you would get a rather early lunch with the morning tour, or a late lunch with the afternoon tour. What have people done?

We were there last week and loved it. There is a nice sandy area with chairs and huts for shade. If you keep walking past the first area where most of the snorkelers are, then you come to 2 nice coves with lovely water to swim if you want. The cove is protected and very calm. We enjoyed the food and the time at DePalm. I would certainly do it again.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived