Is it worth staying in Winchester the night before the cruise?

DW and I have a hotel booked in central london the night before the cruise.  But now I'm wondering if it's worth just going to Winchester the morning before we disembark.  

We probably won't do too much, maybe lunch and dinner.  We'll be very tired from the overnight flight.  

If you only have one night, it is really not worth going to London and paying London prices. Head for the South Coast - Winchester, Salisbury or Southampton are all good places to stay the night, with easy access to the Port on sailing day.

38 minutes ago, Bob++ said:

If you only have one night, it is really not worth going to London and paying London prices. Head for the South Coast - Winchester, Salisbury or Southampton are all good places to stay the night, with easy access to the Port on sailing day.

That's what I'm thinking,  We'll be spending a few nights in London after the Cruise. Might as well relax and have a later start to the day in Winchester or Salisbury

On 3/4/2020 at 1:04 PM, javalsu said:

DW and I have a hotel booked in central london the night before the cruise.  But now I'm wondering if it's worth just going to Winchester the morning before we disembark.  

We probably won't do too much, maybe lunch and dinner.  We'll be very tired from the overnight flight.  

Certainly not worth heading the into London, indeed stay in Winchester; lovely city, and it's a 20 minute train ride to Southampton in the morning

• Like 1

For sure it's pointless heading from LHR to central London (the opposite direction to Southampton) for just an overnite.

And airport hotel-land is pretty bleak and bland.

Whilst there are a fair number of Nat Express buses to Southampton only about half of them go via a stop in Winchester, so you'll need to check whether there's one suitably timed for your flight in.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

Allow at least 90 minutes & preferably 2 hours for airport formalities between scheduled flight arrival and bus departure.

For LHR's T2 and T3 join the bus at Heathrow central bus station (10 minute walk).

For T4 and T5 the bus picks up on the concourses at the terminal entrances.

Bus stop in Winchester is in the Broadway, near King Alfred's statue and just 2 minutes walk from the cathedral.

Most convenient hotel is the Mercure, right next to the cathedral & with picture-windows overlooking it. The Mercure has a pretty bland and ugly exterior (I'm surprised it was allowed next to the cathedral) but other than that it's fine.  There are also several convenient boutique hotels and pub rooms.

Continue to Southampton next morning, either by Nat Express again or by very frequent train  (station is short taxi hop or a 15 minute partly uphill walk from the Broadway). Also local buses to Southampton from the Broadway, though slow.

Even fewer Nat Express buses from LHR to Salisbury, but it's a more laid-back historic city with a magnificent cathedral.

Next morning half-hourly train service to Southampton - about  £11 pp and 40 minutes 

Or Southampton itself has enough to interest you for a day.

Browse this thread

JB :classic_smile: 

• Like 1