Shame on NCL

Njkrewzer

After waiting on the phone for over an hour (understandably, given the circumstances), I was told there is nothing that can be done for my March 8th sailing. For those of you who are applauding NCL for "stepping up" with their March 10th FCC policy, how about stop and think how you would feel if you were one of the thousands of us who leave before then. I have one of two options, lose thousands of dollars, or option #2 take the risk and go on the cruise anyway. Hey NCL, is my family less important than the one that sets sail 48 hours after me? Or are those of us sailing on March 8th somehow magically immune to the coronavirus? The entire industry is actually doing the right thing except for Norwegian. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will never sail with them again if they don't do the right thing here. NCL has done a lot of nickel and diming in the past few years that has left a bad taste in our mouths, but this is really stooping to a whole new level. With the imminent battle facing the cruise industry, can they really afford to alienate loyal customers.

• Like 3

So, the new policy is effective March 10. Tens of thousands of people on hundreds of cruise ships sail every week. Two ships have had an issue. Thousands of people fly daily. Enjoy your cruise. 

ENJOY FREEDOM AND FLEXIBILITY THROUGH 2022

Have peace of mind when booking with Norwegian Cruise Line. Beginning March 10, 2020, guests who book a voyage through September 30, 2020 may cancel up to 48 hours from embarkation and receive a 100% future cruise credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. This offer also applies to guests who are currently booked through this timeframe.

Freedom and flexibility are core to our brand, and we expect this philosophy to provide you with Peace of Mind for your upcoming cruise vacation. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So, the new policy is effective March 10. Tens of thousands of people on hundreds of cruise ships sail every week. Two ships have had an issue. Thousands of people fly daily. Enjoy your cruise. 

ENJOY FREEDOM AND FLEXIBILITY THROUGH 2022

Have peace of mind when booking with Norwegian Cruise Line. Beginning March 10, 2020, guests who book a voyage through September 30, 2020 may cancel up to 48 hours from embarkation and receive a 100% future cruise credit to be used for sailings that embark through December 31, 2022. This offer also applies to guests who are currently booked through this timeframe.

Freedom and flexibility are core to our brand, and we expect this philosophy to provide you with Peace of Mind for your upcoming cruise vacation. We look forward to welcoming you on board soon!

If the situation is urgent enough to extend the option to those travelling on the 10th, why not those on the 9th? I'm not asking for a refund, but it would be decent of them to extend the same accommodation to ALL passengers. I would gladly re-book at a later date when all this settles down. I have young children to think about. You're saying its only been two ships that have had an issue, but this is all so fresh. If there were two ships in say a six month time span then I would agree with you, but as of right now you have a virus that has rapidly become a global crisis and is spreading at an exponential rate. All you need is one carrier to get on that ship of 5000 people, and your one week vacation now becomes a 6 week quarantine.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

We're now up to 3 cruise ships: M.S. Asara

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2020/03/06/maryland-coronavirus-patients-were-on-a-cruise-montgomery-county-officials-say/?fbclid=IwAR0TG56WSZwFdWfSzcsqP6XOJPOC9ap6V_lo09rJZl8vZX22S_euVtANaks

1 minute ago, BirdTravels said:

You can still cancel and file an insurance claim. 

Are you referring to the optional trip insurance or something else? I didn't purchase the trip insurance. I live very close to the port, so no travel logistics to worry about and short of a global pandemic there wouldn't be a reason for me not to go on the cruise. I can promise you I've never been one to complain, never sent a meal back at a restaurant, written a bad review, and certainly don't have any entitlement issues, I just think it would've been nice (and good business practice) to be extended the same option that everyone else was. There are thousands of people in the same boat as me (a little pun intended) I surely can't be the only one who feels this way. Again, I'm not stamping my feet demanding a refund, just would like to rebook at a later and safer time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

This is just the very beginning. This is going to explode very fast and very soon.

1 hour ago, bonvoyagie said:

The NCL policy appears to apply to new bookings between Mar 10 and Sept 30. I thought they had a different policy for existing bookings with regards to cancelations. 

No!  The policy plainly states that it applies to cruises already booked from Mar 10 through Sep 30!

2 hours ago, bonvoyagie said:

The NCL policy appears to apply to new bookings between Mar 10 and Sept 30. I thought they had a different policy for existing bookings with regards to cancelations. 

You have to read at least through the 3rd sentence...... ugh

"This offer also applies to guests who are currently booked through this time frame" 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Njkrewzer said:

This is just the very beginning. This is going to explode very fast and very soon.

Now there’s airport, next sporting events, grocery store etc.  a cruise isn’t more dangerous thjen anything else

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bbixler18 said:

Fearmongering at its best!  Turn off MSM and go outside, enjoy life!  You could get hit by a bus or have a heart attack tomorrow.....people need to chill out...

This is all true, (minus the fearmongering), but I'm not sitting inside with a hazmat suit and a tinfoil hat, I just would've like the option the rebook like everyone else. I dont want a refund, just want to reschedule to a safer time. My greater concern would be getting stuck in a quarantine. Theres 5000 people aboard, all you need is that ONE person to start showing symptoms during the week and now you're on board for 6 weeks. Look what happened in the news, the quarantines are a real thing 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Njkrewzer said:

After waiting on the phone for over an hour (understandably, given the circumstances), I was told there is nothing that can be done for my March 8th sailing. For those of you who are applauding NCL for "stepping up" with their March 10th FCC policy, how about stop and think how you would feel if you were one of the thousands of us who leave before then. I have one of two options, lose thousands of dollars, or option #2 take the risk and go on the cruise anyway. Hey NCL, is my family less important than the one that sets sail 48 hours after me? Or are those of us sailing on March 8th somehow magically immune to the coronavirus? The entire industry is actually doing the right thing except for Norwegian. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will never sail with them again if they don't do the right thing here. NCL has done a lot of nickel and diming in the past few years that has left a bad taste in our mouths, but this is really stooping to a whole new level. With the imminent battle facing the cruise industry, can they really afford to alienate loyal customers.

We feel your pain. We leave tomorrow, also. We would have rebooked if we had been given that option.

Just now, put me on a ship said:

We feel your pain. We leave tomorrow, also. We would have rebooked if we had been given that option.

Same here, I simply would've liked to rebook. Yet the NCL cheerleaders on here will jump all over us as though we're asking for something crazy. Are you on the bliss?

11 hours ago, Njkrewzer said:

Are you referring to the optional trip insurance or something else? I didn't purchase the trip insurance. I live very close to the port, so no travel logistics to worry about and short of a global pandemic there wouldn't be a reason for me not to go on the cruise. I can promise you I've never been one to complain, never sent a meal back at a restaurant, written a bad review, and certainly don't have any entitlement issues, I just think it would've been nice (and good business practice) to be extended the same option that everyone else was. There are thousands of people in the same boat as me (a little pun intended) I surely can't be the only one who feels this way. Again, I'm not stamping my feet demanding a refund, just would like to rebook at a later and safer time.

The exact reason why you should have brought trip insurance! Would you be saying NCL is heartless if you had a death in the family and NCL would not refund you? Bottom line is you rolled the dice. That being said there is no reason not to cruise. You cannot live life in a bubble....

1 minute ago, Njkrewzer said:

Same here, I simply would've liked to rebook. Yet the NCL cheerleaders on here will jump all over us as though we're asking for something crazy. Are you on the bliss?

No, we're on the Pearl. Ignore the cheerleaders. They aren't in our situation, and therefore, don't understand our concerns.

Our biggest concern is being quarantined. We also are in the higher risk category, age-wise, and minor health concerns. 

2 minutes ago, yankees111 said:

The exact reason why you should have brought trip insurance! Would you be saying NCL is heartless if you had a death in the family and NCL would not refund you? Bottom line is you rolled the dice. That being said there is no reason not to cruise. You cannot live life in a bubble....

I already stated most trip insurances DO NOT cover this situation, including "cancel for no reason" insurance. Most have a clause excluding epidemics and pandemics. 

3 minutes ago, put me on a ship said:

I already stated most trip insurances DO NOT cover this situation, including "cancel for no reason" insurance. Most have a clause excluding epidemics and pandemics. 

The cruise is still sailing.  OP could stay home and pick up the virus at the local supermarket. you cant live life in a bubble!

1 minute ago, yankees111 said:

The cruise is still sailing.  OP could stay home and pick up the virus at the local supermarket. you cant live life in a bubble!

But I get the virus at my local supermarket, chances are I would self-quarantine in the comfort of my home with reliable internet options for binge watching. I mean, teleworking. 🙂

(Frankly, I would rather cruise tomorrow than later in the month when I am booked because I think the virus is going to spread more. But my opinion does not invalidate OP's opinion.)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Njkrewzer said:

We are scheduled to be on the bliss Tomorrow. Have spent a few hours on the phone and totally don’t understand how they can do this. I’m very upset and thinking we might not go even though it was going to be a big trip for us. I’m so sorry you are in the same situation

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, yankees111 said:

To be very clear, I realize the chances of contracting the virus are slim, and let's say worst case scenario I did, I'm young and healthy and most likely wont die. My concern is that one of the 5000 passengers aboard starts showing symptoms and we get quarantined. That is probably the most likely scenario. New York just declared a state of emergency. The numbers have doubled in 24 hours, so those that are saying fear mongering, no it's just simple facts. This is how viruses spread, think of it like the old chain mail, 1 person  gives to 2, 2 give to 4, and so on. Yes you could get it anywhere, but it's about playing the odds here

• Like 1

Yah, the arbitrary date seems kind of unfair.

I'm sitting, looking at all my new purchases and packed bags all ready for my trip with my daughter on the 21st and it is hard not to start crying. I will probably reschedule, but I'm not convinced things will even get better in the next two years. 

• Like 1