Adventure of the seas LONG review!

ckrobyn

From your room could you see much of the ship looking forward? I am sure the view looking back was great.I have a JS booked on AOS in the spring at the back of the hump.(9624) Hope I will like it! First time on hump!

We had a great view of the aft - couldn't see much of anything looking forward, but it didn't matter at all to us. The view from the hump is second to none :) I'm totally hooked on hump cabins and just booked another one for my Radiance cruise in November. Trust me, once you go hump - you won't go back!

:) We will be sailing in April 2007. Was there much noise on deck 10? We have never sailed on a RCI ship before. What was your service like at dinner? What kind of shops are on the promenade? Thank you for the great review. I can't hardly wait.

There was NO noise whatsoever on deck 10 - not even the sound of muffled voices let alone anything else!

Our service was outstanding at dinner - I think if you get an incredible waiter/waitress you will enjoy your time spent in the dining room. Great tablemates don't hurt either ;) Lucky for us, we had both.

There are several shops on the Promenade - a cosmetics boutique, a fashion boutique, an RCI boutique with logo items as well as a duty free liquor and tobacco shop - and of course a jewellery shop :)

Thanks for your comments - I will try and finish up the review within the next day or so.....

St. Thomas -

Once again this year we did not book an excursion or rent a jeep on the island. My intent was to SHOP :D and shop I did ;) Last year I bought a beautiful 3 stone diamond ring at Diamond's International and headed straight back to the same store in the Havensight Mall ( located right at the port) to buy a little "friend" for my ring! I had a very successfull shopping trip and now my ring from last year isn't lonely anymore....

The weather in St. Thomas was once again sunny and hot - when I finished my shopping I headed straight back to the ship to enjoy a final afternoon on the pool deck.......this was our last day on the ship:( and I wanted to soak up every second of it! Apparently most of the passengers were off the ship because I had my pick of the deck chairs...woooo hooooo!

A few tidbits:

Lobster night was on Friday - lobster tails were very good and you could order as many as you wanted.

Shrimp cocktails were available 2 of the 7 nights in the dining room.

Formal nights were Monday and Thursday.

Caribbean buffet night on the pool deck was on Tuesday - Grand midnight buffet was on Friday. Viewing for the midnight buffet began at 11:30pm and you could start eating at 12:15am. I viewed and took pictures, but didn't eat anything......everything looked spectacular!

We had robes waiting for us in our cabin - so did my parents who were in a Junior Suite.

We purchased soda cards and found it to be a good value since we consume a lot of soda. Saved having to bring it onboard with us....

I used the Concierge Lounge a few times - maybe not as much as I would have liked to. It's a very nice place - interesting mix of people.....

Okay - now for the HIGHLIGHT of my week onboard the AOS!

I was selected to receive a full tour of the Bridge along with 9 other passengers ( 10 passengers, per cruise in total were invited). I was thrilled to be able to actually be ON the bridge and have the opportunity to have every instrument panel and radar screen explained to me - not to mention being able to sit in the Captain's chair and have my picture taken!!!!! I must have taken 2 dozen pictures - the view from the bridge is unbelievable! Did you know there are windshield wipers up there? LOL

There are so many other wonderful things that happend during my week aboard the AOS and I will add more to this review as I recall them.

The last night on board was so sad. I didn't want to go to bed because I knew in the morning it would be all over...

More on the last 24 hours of the cruise later today...

St. Thomas -

Once again this year we did not book an excursion or rent a jeep on the island. My intent was to SHOP :D and shop I did ;) Last year I bought a beautiful 3 stone diamond ring at Diamond's International and headed straight back to the same store in the Havensight Mall ( located right at the port) to buy a little "friend" for my ring! I had a very successfull shopping trip and now my ring from last year isn't lonely anymore....

Robyn, I'm glad you found your ring a friend. It is so sad when they are all by their little old lonesomes.

Our final dinner in the dining room was full of mixed emotions...reflecting on a week of great food, outstanding service and amazing tablemates - we were all sitting together for the last time :(

I was slightly late for dinner as I had forgotten to cash the remaining travellers cheque and tonight was tip night! We handed over those envelopes with gratitude to our Waiter and Assistant Waiter as well as the head Waiter who went the extra mile to make our cruise so special.

After dinner, our DD went to Adventure Ocean for the last time - we followed her with camera in hand to take pictures of the wonderful AO staff. We had arranged to meet our tablemates at the Cafe promenade at 10:30pm to have a drink before heading back to the cabin to pack ( suitcases had to be in the hall by midnight). The last evening was bittersweet for sure. All I could think about was the months and months of anticipation and planning were coming to an end. We made our way back to the cabin at around 11:00pm to pack. I spent a bit of time on the balcony enjoying the lovely ocean air before dragging out the suitcases.

The final night of the cruise, the seas were more rough than they had been all week. Previously if there was motion, the ship would rock from side to side - but this night the ride was actually BUMPY! As I lay in bed, I realized it didn't bother me in the least, and in fact I would miss it :(

Morning came WAY to soon. We were up before 6:00am and I was determined to enjoy another coffee on the balcony as the sun rose over San Juan. Funny that when we arrived in SJ pre cruise, I was overwhelmed with excitement, and now the site of SJ only represented the end of an incredible week.

Breakfast in the Windjammer, our number was called at around 8:45am and we were through customs and off the ship by 9:15am.

Final thoughts:

The Adventure is a terrific ship. The crew are really friendly and the ship itself is in excellent condition. I didn't notice any wear and tear at all.

Prior to our cruise, I couldn't help but notice the way some people were posting "warnings" about the number of local Puerto Ricans that would allegedly be onboard. First of all, as I posted previously - I could care LESS if the entire ship was filled with Puerto Ricans. We had a very enjoyable stay for 4 days pre-cruise in PR and found the locals to be incredibly friendly and helpful. Yes, all of the announcements were in English and Spanish, but who cares?????[/SIZE]

I will not comment on whether or not, or even how many PR locals may have been onboard because as far as I'm concerned it is a non-issue.

Okay - glad that's out of the way! In closing, all I can really say is that we had a wonderful cruise and would do it all over again in a heartbeat :)

Please feel free to ask any questions either here, or you can email me at ckrobyn@hotmail.com and I would be more than happy to answer you personally.

Thanks for listening and happy cruising!

Robyn, great review! I may have missed it but, for your parents, was it their first cruise and did they enjoy it? Maybe we can get them set up on CC and they can provide us all with insight on cruising with a cruise fanatic:D

Robyn, great review! I may have missed it but, for your parents, was it their first cruise and did they enjoy it? Maybe we can get them set up on CC and they can provide us all with insight on cruising with a cruise fanatic:D

Bob - I can always count on you to make me laugh!

Yes, it was my parents first cruise, although my dad says he sailed on a cattle ship somewhere in the Mediterannean a million years ago so that certainly doesn't count for anything - and, he says he sailed "deck class with no food" LOL :eek:

They had a wonderful time and will definitely cruise again sometime soon. As for providing insight on sailing with a cruise fanatic....the apple doesn't fall far from the tree ;)

:D We are taking the Southern route in April. We went on the Mariner in March and the Serenade is a smaller ship. Now that you have completed both the Voyager and Radiance class, do you prefer one class from the other? I know any day on a cruise is better than a day at work! ;) We loved the promenade on the Mariner and are worried we will miss it on the Serenade. I also noticed you are booked again on the Radiance. Will you take another Voyager class? I know some people say the Radiance class is just right, not too big, not too small. Thanks for your input.

:D We are taking the Southern route in April. We went on the Mariner in March and the Serenade is a smaller ship. Now that you have completed both the Voyager and Radiance class, do you prefer one class from the other? I know any day on a cruise is better than a day at work! ;) We loved the promenade on the Mariner and are worried we will miss it on the Serenade. I also noticed you are booked again on the Radiance. Will you take another Voyager class? I know some people say the Radiance class is just right, not too big, not too small. Thanks for your input.

Hi Mary -

Interesting question about Voyaguer class vs. Radiance class. Truth is, I really enjoyed BOTH! I can't say that I have a definite preference for one class over the other. Yes my next cruise is on the Radiance, but I am quite confident that I will sail Voyageur class again too!

The Promenade was a real treat for us, as there isn't one on the Radiance. That being said, I though the shopping area on the Radiance was very quaint albeit it a bit small. As well, the Adventure didn't have a Seaview Cafe which we did miss.

Both classes of ships have unique things to offer :)

Robyn-

I enjoyed reading your review so much. I'm sad for you that its all over. At least you have another one planned so the anticipation can build up all over again. Looking forward next to seeing the picture part of your cruise!!!

Thanks Lauren,

I promised a detailed review when I returned, and I always keep my promises!

I have tons of amazing ship and cabin pictures that I will download as soon as I can :D

Thank you for a fantastic review. I am going on AOS in April and am really looking forward to it. I was wondering if you were off the ship at 9:15am, what time was your flight and did you experience any delays at the airport? Thanks.

Holly

Thank you for a fantastic review. I am going on AOS in April and am really looking forward to it. I was wondering if you were off the ship at 9:15am, what time was your flight and did you experience any delays at the airport? Thanks.

Holly

Hi Holly,

Our flight was at 1:30pm - so we were at the airport and through airport security in no time. I noticed that by around 11:00am the airport was packed and the line to go through security was at least 40 minutes. I was glad we got there early - gave us some time to shop duty free and have a snack before our flight. It also guaranteed us a chair at the gate!

Great job! You provided a lot of information useful to future Adventure of the Seas cruisers. Thank you!

Steve

Hi Steve,

You are most welcome!

It was a pleasure to give a little back considering all of the amazing info I have taken from CC! :rolleyes: :)

Not only was this an excellent review but you made us feel as if we were there. Another cruise is in my future - just don't know when right now. But until then, I can go on somebody else's cruise. Thank you for making it come alive - I felt virtually there! ;)

Thanks nfused :D

I enjoyed writing it - kept feeling like there was so much more to say...so many details.....I will continue to post as I remember specific things!

Now get out there and book yourself a cruise! :rolleyes:

Robyn, I'd like to know your thoughts on the itinerary. You have done the Eastern and Southern, we have done the Eastern and doing the Western in April. We are considering the Southern for '07 (assuming we don't get sick of cruising:D). Forget you have been to some of the islands before on land vacations...as a cruiser which itinerary appealed to you more. Leave the ship out of the equation as well. You have 42 minutes and thirty seconds to respond or I am going to tell RCI you are a chair hog and don't tip :D:D

Thank you....:)

Robyn, I'd like to know your thoughts on the itinerary. You have done the Eastern and Southern, we have done the Eastern and doing the Western in April. We are considering the Southern for '07 (assuming we don't get sick of cruising:D). Forget you have been to some of the islands before on land vacations...as a cruiser which itinerary appealed to you more. Leave the ship out of the equation as well. You have 42 minutes and thirty seconds to respond or I am going to tell RCI you are a chair hog and don't tip :D:D

Thank you....:)

BOB! You are hysterical!

Here's the low down - we absolutely LOVED the Southern Intinerary. We didn't choose it because of the ship, we chose it because we happen to really like the ports. In addition, you are almost guaranteed great weather the further south you go. I heard that the Eastern didn't warm up until way past the Bahamas ( that's 2 days out of the cruise where temps are in the low 70's :( )

My next cruise is Western - never been to Caymen, Cozumel or Jamaica!

Thanks Robyn, I think for sure we are going to do the Southern route next cruise after Radiance in April. The only downside is San Juan isn't exactly the easiest to fly to and from TO. I am impressed, 10 minutes...I was so looking forward to the phone call to RCI...:D:D

Archived