Adventure of the seas LONG review!

ckrobyn

Thanks Robyn, I think for sure we are going to do the Southern route next cruise after Radiance in April. The only downside is San Juan isn't exactly the easiest to fly to and from TO. I am impressed, 10 minutes...I was so looking forward to the phone call to RCI...:D:D

Bob,

You're right - it isn't the easiest thing to get to SJ from Toronto. We actually used aeroplan points on Air Canada to fly to Miami, and then picked up American Airlines from Miami to San Juan for $300 per person(cdn). If you can get to a gateway city ie: New York, Boston or Miami - the flights to SJ are pretty reasonable. To fly direct Toronto to SJ is around the $1200 mark - a bit pricey for my liking :rolleyes:

Dear Robyn,

Thanks, for the great review. You have only made it harder for me to wait until July for our cruise on the AOS. We are doing the opposite itinerary. It's great to hear you had a great time. Also, enjoy your new bauble. How was the Adventure Ocean on the AOS? The kids in our group are in the 10-11 year bracket.

Dear Robyn' date='

Thanks, for the great review. You have only made it harder for me to wait until July for our cruise on the AOS. We are doing the opposite itinerary. It's great to hear you had a great time. Also, enjoy your new bauble. How was the Adventure Ocean on the AOS? The kids in our group are in the 10-11 year bracket.[/quote']

My 9 year old LOVED Adventure Ocean - wouldn't set foot through the door last year on the Radiance, and we couldn't get her out this year!

I am truly enjoying my new bauble ;) DH is breathing easy that my next cruise does not include either St.Thomas or St.Maarten...LOL!

The only downside is San Juan isn't exactly the easiest to fly to and from TO.

Hi BobBeaSea, fly out of Buffalo. If you are planning on going in April you will be ok weather wise. We are flying to San Juan from Buffalo and the cost is $350 CDN, for you the drive should only be about 1 1/2 hours the Buffalo airport is really nice.

Hi BobBeaSea, fly out of Buffalo. If you are planning on going in April you will be ok weather wise. We are flying to San Juan from Buffalo and the cost is $350 CDN, for you the drive should only be about 1 1/2 hours the Buffalo airport is really nice.

Thanks for the info Magicat:) We are thinking of doing the same intinerary next February and will look into flights out of Buffalo. What airline are you using? This time we will be 2 families leaving out of Toronto, 4 kids and 4 adults.

Hi Robyn, we have used Delta, but it appears that US air is the lowest to San Juan. We are using US air to fly to NYC from Buffalo in May and the cost is $150.00 CDN, flying from Toronto was going to cost around $400.00 the savings are worth the drive. Here is a link for checking airfare, someone from cruise critic posted it a while ago and this is how we have found some really good airfare! http://matrix.itasoftware.com/cvg/dispatch just put in YYZ for airport and it will convert all fares into CDN. One drawback from flying from Buffalo, there does not appear to be any direct flights to anywhere!!

Thanks for the tip...shoulda known, I've flown out of Buffalo before :)

Great review Robin... I agree about the M&M; people should go if they can... It's real nice to meet the people during the rest of the cruise...

B.t.w... does anyone who was on this cruise know why there was an ambulance in front of the AOS while we where in Curacao? We where returing to the ship and it looked like 'they' were bringing someone onboard? Know if he/she is alright now?

What a GREAT review! Thanks Robyn!

We will be leaving in a few weeks for the Serenade with our 8 year old son...You mentioned that your daughter did not enjoy the kids club on the Radiance class....would you be able to eloborate onwhat the difference was between this year and last?

One final question in San Juan where did you locate the knock off purses? Did they have Fendi?

Thanks again,

Vivian

What a GREAT review! Thanks Robyn!

We will be leaving in a few weeks for the Serenade with our 8 year old son...You mentioned that your daughter did not enjoy the kids club on the Radiance class....would you be able to eloborate onwhat the difference was between this year and last?

One final question in San Juan where did you locate the knock off purses? Did they have Fendi?

Thanks again,

Vivian

Hi Vivian,

I think you may have misunderstood what I said about Adventure Ocean and my Daughter on the Radiance last year.....what I said was that she would not "set foot" inside the club on the Radiance - I guess she wasn't ready, or just wasn't interested. I did not mean to infer that she didn't "like" Adventure Ocean on the Radiance, she simply would not take part.

This year we had a family of 5 as our tablemates with a daughter the same age as ours, so that helped convince our daughter that she should go and see what it was all about, she did and we hardly saw her!

Old San Juan has knock off purses. Actually, I bought 3 from a street vendor! I don't recall seeing Fendi - but St.Maarten as knock off Fendi's for sure - I saw them. If you are in Old San Juan, you will no doubt see some street vendors - you can bargain with them, I got a really great Prada for $40. Check out the Dooney & Bourke outlet too - I bought an original D&B for $100.

Good Luck, glad you enjoyed the review....and have a great cruise!

One more thing about knock off purses - look at the quality very carefully.....there are some really good immitations and some pretty cheaply put together one's.....there are several stores in St. Maarten along Front Street that sell them - some better than others.

Thanks for the great review and pictures, Robyn. :) This is one of the cruises on my wish list, but I don't think we'll sail out of San Juan for as long as we are living in Alaska... it's just too far and too expensive...

How did you manage to book Radiance in 2205? ;)

Thanks for the great review and pictures, Robyn. :) This is one of the cruises on my wish list, but I don't think we'll sail out of San Juan for as long as we are living in Alaska... it's just too far and too expensive...

How did you manage to book Radiance in 2205? ;)

I know - how hysterical is that?? LOL

I noticed it last night but for some reason couldn't access the user CP :o

I'm gonna change it now!

Robyn..

Were there many children in the Adult pool and spa? Did RCI direct parents with children to go else where? I love my job and my daughter but there are times when adults need there space.:)

There were NO kids in the adult pool - maybe because there were not that many kids on our sailing? I didn't see the spa so I can't comment on whether there were kids in there or not, although I would guess not?

I found that the kids were very well behaved on our cruise, no little rugrats running through the halls and stairways, no elevator buttons pressed for every floor.....

Thank You Robyn. Some of the other posts were decribing other adventures with rug rats. You made me feel better.:D

I think there will always be posts describing adventures with rugrats.....it's true, sometimes kids are just not well behaved. However, we have been lucky - on both of our cruises, kids running amok has not been an issue.

Thanks Robyn for such a great review. We leave 3/12 on The Adventure of the Sea. This will be our 4th cruise but the first one with Royal Caribbean. The other 3 were on Carnival. I am looking forward to the cruise. Its so exciting going on a new cruise line. I found your review very helpful. Thank you very much.

We will be in the D2 catagory, Balcony, on deck 8. Do you know anything about that area. I sure hope it is quite in the late night hours. We had a very bad experice on the last cruise, The Triumph, Carnival last time.

Well, if I can think of more questions later, I'll post a message. And I'll keep an eye out for further post from you. Thanks Again.

Oh, more more question.... Around the pool, do they have caribbean bands playing the steel drum, etc..??????? Thanks.

Angie

robin.....how did you get a tour of the bridge? that's something we'd love to do. we'll be on the explorer in an owners suite this june and then on the mariner this december (who's the lucky girl with 2 cruises in '06). so tell me........how'd ya do it????

We were very lucky to get a tour of the bridge. I don't know any VIP's at RCI so I think it was the luck of the draw, that and a really great Concierge that reads Cruise Critic ;) Our Concierge put our names on the list of 10 people selected for a personalized bridge tour. The list was comprised of suite guests and Diamond C&A members.

Thanks Robyn for such a great review. We leave 3/12 on The Adventure of the Sea. This will be our 4th cruise but the first one with Royal Caribbean. The other 3 were on Carnival. I am looking forward to the cruise. Its so exciting going on a new cruise line. I found your review very helpful. Thank you very much.

We will be in the D2 catagory, Balcony, on deck 8. Do you know anything about that area. I sure hope it is quite in the late night hours. We had a very bad experice on the last cruise, The Triumph, Carnival last time.

Well, if I can think of more questions later, I'll post a message. And I'll keep an eye out for further post from you. Thanks Again.

Oh, more more question.... Around the pool, do they have caribbean bands playing the steel drum, etc..??????? Thanks.

Angie

Angie - you will LOVE the Aos :D

Yes, there is a pool band in the afternoons that plays terrific steel drum band music! Enjoy!

Archived