April cruise refund (credit card points)

Thinking about cancelling our April 5th cruise in Freedom out of San Juan.  Does anyone have experience with a cruise paid for with credit card points?  The only cash that we have invested is the cost to upgrade from ocean view to a balcony stateroom but I would hate to loose the 125,000 points that we used to pay for the cruise as well as another 75,000 that was cashed in for onboard credit. 

Well.... after 90 minutes on hold..  I was told that i could postpone my cruise and get the credit card points credited back but they would have to be used for a booking that sails before the end of 2020.   

does this also include the points for OBC?  We are waiting to see what happens with the Port of Baltimore closure.  If the cruise gets cancelled - would the OBC points be refunded as well?

• Like 1

On 3/11/2020 at 12:42 PM, wildfity6 said:

Well.... after 90 minutes on hold..  I was told that i could postpone my cruise and get the credit card points credited back but they would have to be used for a booking that sails before the end of 2020.   

What number did you call?

I have quite a bit of OBC that I used points for our upcoming cruise in April (the first out after the 30 days is up) and wondering how they credit you too. I used my points from my RC cc to purchase the OBC. I would hope they would give that back to you some how. 

I was told previously NOT to cash points in until about 2 weeks before cruise as I would lose them if I did not cruise.  Under current circumstances I would not cancel a cruise as it may be cancelled by cruise line and then I think you might get points back.  I would call to clarify.  My April 9 cruise was cancelled last night by RCCL.  I applied for a refund instead of the 125% future cruise credit since I also have a June 12 cruise booked and don't need multiple future cruise credits.  I anticipate that it will cancel too.  I have not cashed points in yet and was waiting until June 1 to do so.

51 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I was told previously NOT to cash points in until about 2 weeks before cruise as I would lose them if I did not cruise.  Under current circumstances I would not cancel a cruise as it may be cancelled by cruise line and then I think you might get points back.  I would call to clarify.  My April 9 cruise was cancelled last night by RCCL.  I applied for a refund instead of the 125% future cruise credit since I also have a June 12 cruise booked and don't need multiple future cruise credits.  I anticipate that it will cancel too.  I have not cashed points in yet and was waiting until June 1 to do so.

The only reason I did it this time is because our last cruise I completely forgot to use them and get OBC. I was afraid it would happen again so decided to use them up while I was looking. 

You think the June 12th cruise will cancel? I'm on the April 12th cruise and hoping for the best. 

Ok, here’s what I did this morning. I had $350 OBC from my visa rewards card for a cruise that was cancelled by RCI. This morning I called the C & A Society phone number which is 1-800-526-9723. Since I had a future cruise already booked, all they needed was the booking number from my cancelled cruise and the number for the future cruise. I was told the OBC should show up on the new reservation within a few day. They could only transfer OBC from the rewards card, no promotional OBC. She did say to contact your travel agency and maybe they would do that. I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes.