NCL e-mail suggesting cruise insurance

disneylover89

I just received an e-mail from NCL suggesting we purchase their cruise insurance.  Is this a standard e-mail that is sent right before final payment is due or is this something new?  I can't really understand why I would purchase their insurance now when they are already giving a FCC if you cancel up until 2 days before you cruise.  I have a July cruise planned.

15 minutes ago, disneylover89 said:

I just received an e-mail from NCL suggesting we purchase their cruise insurance.  Is this a standard e-mail that is sent right before final payment is due or is this something new?  I can't really understand why I would purchase their insurance now when they are already giving a FCC if you cancel up until 2 days before you cruise.  I have a July cruise planned.

Yes, they send out emails about insurance now, occasionally a letter. Insurance isn't just to cover the cruise, it will cover you getting sick, travel interruptions, etc.

Obviously read the policy closely since NCL has a few different versions, and third party insurance has more options still.

• Like 1

Not sure about the e-mails reference insurance. But many people do wait until they make final payment to get insurance because the cruise and deposit is refundable up until that point (at least it was, not sure now). There are still potential benefits to having insurance though not sure what Norwegians covers:

1. medical treatment and evacuation - especially in light of this virus could be a good thing to have if you are older or compromised

2. if you did have to cancel for a covered non-coronavirus reason you could get a cash refund instead of FCC

3. trip interruption would be the biggest for me - if you were to say fly to your port and something changed at the last minute and you were banned boarding I believe the insurance would pay for things like your overnight hotel and flight back home. 

1 hour ago, disneylover89 said:

It is their standard email to customers.  We got one just before our Getaway cruise in November 2019, and another before Epic cruise in January 2020.  Probably received same email for all our cruises in 2019, but just don't remember for certain.

1 hour ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

Perhaps they want to try and bump up their insurance sales because they are about to shut down operations for the next couple of months.

Kind of monstrous if it turns out to be true.

This has been their standard practice for well over a year....so I don't think you can really consider it "monstrous".