Spirit of Discovery next departure on 15th March

beaujolais

We are booked on this cruise, our first on Saga, and have been attempting to either cancel the cruise or postpone it to a later date. I have spent a considerable time on the telephone and spoken to various managers or team leaders.

Saga will only consider a cancellation if we forfeit the whole amount that we have paid nothing else

We are not new to cruising and have in fact 3 other cruises booked this year, 2 with Silversea and 1 with Regent. All these cruises we can cancel up to 2 days before the cruise and receive either a full refund or a FCC, our choice

I think it highly irresponsible of Saga to send a cruise, out to Spain, where the majority of passengers will be in the vulnerable age group, over 70

This has just appeared on the BBC website and is part of the latest advice issued by the UK Government

"From Friday, school trips abroad will be banned, and older people and those with pre-existing health conditions have been told not to go on cruises."

Surely Saga should enable us to cancel the cruise and either return our money, a considerable amount as we had booked a larger suite, or offer us an opportunity of a FCC

Edited by beaujolais
edit

35 minutes ago, beaujolais said:

We are booked on this cruise, our first on Saga, and have been attempting to either cancel the cruise or postpone it to a later date. I have spent a considerable time on the telephone and spoken to various managers or team leaders.

Saga will only consider a cancellation if we forfeit the whole amount that we have paid nothing else

We are not new to cruising and have in fact 3 other cruises booked this year, 2 with Silversea and 1 with Regent. All these cruises we can cancel up to 2 days before the cruise and receive either a full refund or a FCC, our choice

I think it highly irresponsible of Saga to send a cruise, out to Spain, where the majority of passengers will be in the vulnerable age group, over 70

This has just appeared on the BBC website and is part of the latest advice issued by the UK Government

"From Friday, school trips abroad will be banned, and older people and those with pre-existing health conditions have been told not to go on cruises."

Surely Saga should enable us to cancel the cruise and either return our money, a considerable amount as we had booked a larger suite, or offer us an opportunity of a FCC

Have another go, specifically pointing out to Saga that the UK Government have now specifically advised that older people and those with pre-existing conditions should not go on cruises.  If not, try your insurer - as this is now Government advice you may be lucky.

I suspect - reading reports elsewhere - that the combination of a change of management and Saga having committed themselves to so much outlay on the new ships, that financial worries are taking precedence on all Saga decisions at the minute. 

Saga are not currently doing themselves any favours, as people will remember this inflexible attitude.

I agree with nosapphire, it’s worth another try.  If this fails, ask Saga to allow you to transfer your payment to a cruise sailing in 2021, when the threat of Coronavirus may have reduced. There is a precedent for this, as my friends had to postpone a cruise  due to unforeseen circumstances, and Saga allowed them to transfer their payment to a similar length cruise the following year.   Good luck!

We tried to postpone our Easter cruise this afternoon - before the PM's statement. Saga were inflexible and would not allow us to postpone.   Now it's on the Gov. Foreign Office website saying that people over 70 and those with underlying health conditions - it gives a long list - should not go on a cruise.  Gradually more and more cruise lines are cancelling cruises, surely Saga can't go on with this inflexible attitude. We'll wait to see what Saga does, if anything.  Surely any Saga cruise is going to have a large number of passengers over 70.  Viking have cancelled Ocean and River Cruises, Princess have cancelled cruises for a month.  P&O have already offered very generous conditions for cancelling or transferring and it may be that they will follow Princess and cancel for a time, nothing announced yet.  Doesn't this mean that Saga who describe themselves as cruises for those over 50, look incredibly uncaring?  Besides which if people over 70 still cruise surely their travel insurance will be invalid.

Have also spent days trying to cancel our cruise,leaving 23rd April for 26 days,going to four Italian ports (including Venice) in the itinery.Been told that if I cancel will lose all my money-a considerable amount as have booked a suite.They will not budge-but just keep quoting "terms and conditions".When I pointed out that I was a first time cruiser with Saga,which in their own terms and conditions entitles me to come on the ship and immediately ask for my money back as they are not fulfilling their side of the contract by not going to Italy-they said this was very unfair and was not a very nice thing to do,but would not accept that it was unfair and not very nice to keep my money.

I have pointed out that we are both over 70 and both with underlying health problems-they were not interested.

Whether they will change their position in light of todays Government statement,I do not know.

THIS IS RUINING SAGA`S REPUTATION.

PS.I would like to add that the last three cruises by Spirit of Discovery have had cases of Norovirus aboard-and that all facilities have been shut down

Had the same problem with a cruise visiting countries with far worse virus infection rates.. They claimed they were not aware of P and O and 7 other lines change in cancellation policy . This was emailed to them the day before ..so they are now fully aware and that they are lagging behind everyone else in customer care. I wonder how many passengers for cruises leaving on 15th will find they have to self isolate as per PMs instructions prior to departure.

Check - I think that they have a list of countries including Italian ports that if you have visited you will not be allowed to board, and a full refund will be given. So turn up, tell them you have visited one of the banned ports (make sure it is European so would not have been stamped in passport) and get money back that way.

Shame on Saga for being so inflexible - makes me think they are in financial difficulty.

Had the same problem with a cruise visiting countries with far worse virus infection rates.. They claimed they were not aware of P and O and 7 other lines change in cancellation policy . This was emailed to them the day before ..so they are now fully aware and that they are lagging behind everyone else in customer care. I wonder how many passengers for cruises leaving on 15th will find they have to self isolate as per PMs instructions prior to departure.

Had not realised that both Princess cruises and. Viking including River cruises have shut down for 2 months. How can Saga still be running cruises in light of this and FCO latest advice ??!!

2 hours ago, MOG29 said:

When the legislation changed January 2018, Saga were still sending paperwork stating a fee to use a credit card.

I contacted them and said this was no longer allowed - they said they were not aware of this! 

I pointed out that P&O had already updated their paperwork and website in advance of the legislation, whereas Saga were still giving outdated information after the legislation.

They lag behind in many areas.

9 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Check - I think that they have a list of countries including Italian ports that if you have visited you will not be allowed to board, and a full refund will be given. So turn up, tell them you have visited one of the banned ports (make sure it is European so would not have been stamped in passport) and get money back that way.

Shame on Saga for being so inflexible - makes me think they are in financial difficulty.

Found it - The email from Saga says,

QUOTE: Furthermore, in line with industry best practice, anyone who has travelled to those countries currently considered to be high risk within 30 days of embarkation will not be able to board our ships, and we will instead offer those guests an alternative sailing at a future date, or a full refund END QUOTE.
Italy is now an "all but essential travel".

Although it really should not be necessary, Saga should not be dragging its feet about this, not if it wants to retain any goodwill. I am extremely disappointed with them.

Published yesterday https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cruise-ship-travel

QUOTE:

The Foreign & Commonwealth Office advises British nationals aged 70 and over and those with pre-existing health conditions against cruise ship travel at this time.

This is based on the government Chief Medical Officer’s advice. It follows a number of cruise ships around the world being locked down due to coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreaks on board.

If you are aged 70 and over, or if you have underlying health conditions, an outbreak on board could put you at a higher risk of severe disease. This could lead to hospitalisation in another country, and potential disruption to medical care for any underlying conditions.

Underlying health conditions include, but are not limited to:

• chronic respiratory disease, including asthma
  • chronic heart disease
  • chronic renal disease
  • chronic liver disease
  • chronic neurological disease
  • diabetes requiring insulin or oral hypoglycaemic drugs
  • weakened immune system due to drug treatment or disease
  • current or recent chemotherapy

This list is not exhaustive. If you are in any doubt and you have a chronic health condition, you should speak to your doctor. END QUOTE:

Good luck getting things sorted to your satisfaction.

Phew !!!Thanks for spotting this hot off the press. Saga are now offering credit or full refund. Given how truly awful their attitude has been will probably get refund.

Hope those on Sunday's cruises have not lost too much on arrangement.

29 minutes ago, BIGdock said:

Where did you get your information from.? I cant find it !

Thank You

Have you looked at their web site? There's a red banner at the top of the home page with a link to their response to the virus.

30 minutes ago, BIGdock said:

Where did you get your information from.? I cant find it !

Thank You

https://travel.saga.co.uk/travel-updates/coronavirus-cruise-passengers.aspx

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/03/13/saga-warns-profits-suspending-cruises/

or just google Saga cruise update and read all the papers.

It's on Saga's website, just looked at it.  All cruises between 15 March and 1st May cancelled.  If you choose to amend your booking you will get the amount you paid for the cruise plus 25% transferred to that booking.  Or you can have a voucher for that amount which can be used against any Saga Ocean cruise, valid for 24 months.  If you can't use the voucher than you will get the amount of the original cruise refunded - not including the extra 25%. It took them a long time but finally they did it.

• Like 1

Ita also headline news on the television as well, We were due to depart on Sunday so obviously very disappointed not to be going but quite understand the reasons for cancellation. 

Happily we are in our sixties and in good health but obviously many others due to travel are not so well placed. 

I imagine that at least one reason is because so many passengers will have travel insurance from Saga. Presumably anyone fitting the "do not travel" description could not go on the cruise as they would be travelling against FCO advice, therefore would be invalidating the travel insurance.

Still, at least it will give them a good chance to get rid of the Norovirus and also to finish the snagging on the SoD.