Carnival Sunshine refused 100s of passengers

nursldyjen

Any one else refused boarding clearance? No phone call, no email, no signage. Parked at the pier of Charleston, paid for parking admitted to the operators with the ted and blue numbers, only to be told YOUR NOT BOARDING TODAY!!!!! Diabetic, heart failure, need oxygen basically are you handicapped in any way? Well today your not getting on. Here is the Carnival stamped letter head( no one in Miami headquarters is aware) but you cannot board. Speak up and you will be arrested for starting a riot. So sorry. I just took off work, drove 800 miles and my vacation is cancelled. Well there I sat dumbfounded with so many parties of more than myself and my husband. Tears, families and friends making decisions. It's okay wade go, I will come back and get you Monday. CDC did not post this, they told us they did. Anyone else????????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, nursldyjen said:

Any one else refused boarding clearance? No phone call, no email, no signage. Parked at the pier of Charleston, paid for parking admitted to the operators with the ted and blue numbers, only to be told YOUR NOT BOARDING TODAY!!!!! Diabetic, heart failure, need oxygen basically are you handicapped in any way? Well today your not getting on. Here is the Carnival stamped letter head( no one in Miami headquarters is aware) but you cannot board. Speak up and you will be arrested for starting a riot. So sorry. I just took off work, drove 800 miles and my vacation is cancelled. Well there I sat dumbfounded with so many parties of more than myself and my husband. Tears, families and friends making decisions. It's okay wade go, I will come back and get you Monday. CDC did not post this, they told us they did. Anyone else????????

Unbelievable! How can they do that? No advanced warning or anything?? 

Can you post a copy of that letter they gave you?? Surely they gave you something in writing denying you boarding!

I saw on John Heald's Facebook page that over 70 years old needed a doctors "ok to sail" form after meeting requirements.  We sail in 9 days and still have not received this letter from Carnival.  If I didn't happen to see this on Facebook, we probably would not know until we showed up at the port to board.  My father is 82 with heart and lung issues.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

I saw on John Heald's Facebook page that over 70 years old needed a doctors "ok to sail" form after meeting requirements.  We sail in 9 days and still have not received this letter from Carnival.  If I didn't happen to see this on Facebook, we probably would not know until we showed up at the port to board.  My father is 82 with heart and lung issues.  

Sadly I doubt he will be able to go. I would contact Carnival and find out for sure before coming to the port. I feel for you! We are wondering if the March 21st sailing will even happen.

• Like 1

Just now, bobsfamily said:

Sadly I doubt he will be able to go. I would contact Carnival and find out for sure before coming to the port. I feel for you! We are wondering if the March 21st sailing will even happen.

My father is definitely not going.  Now we have to decide if the rest of us want to go.  Only thing is we did get a letter from Carnival saying the Port of Baltimore was closed until March 18th and we sail March 22nd.  Just one more thing to think about/worry about!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

My father is definitely not going.  Now we have to decide if the rest of us want to go.  Only thing is we did get a letter from Carnival saying the Port of Baltimore was closed until March 18th and we sail March 22nd.  Just one more thing to think about/worry about!

I thought the port (cruiseport) was closed for longer than that?  What a hard place to be, hope it all works out for the best!

The mayor of Charleston is meeting with the port and other entities to decide what to do about cruise ships... scary times, good luck!

• Like 1

Apparently the new guidelines(people over 70 have to have a 'fitness to sail' letter. It's now in place. The following article is for Carnival Fantasy sailing out of Mobile:

https://wreg.com/news/carnival-cruise-passengers-say-they-were-denied-boarding-due-to-existing-health-conditions/

"The Carnival Fantasy left Mobile early Friday morning after hours of delays due to fog. But some people scheduled to board say they were not allowed on the ship because of a new provision regarding coronavirus.

The customers, many who came from other states, say they were not allowed to board because of underlying health issues, including diabetes."

16 hours ago, nursldyjen said:

So sorry to hear that this happened to you. I can't remember where I read it but they did say those problems would prevent you from boarding. At first they were just saying underline health conditions and I always thought it would be good to know what they are. They should have at least sent a letter. My daughter is on that same cruise for a bachelorette  party. Did you call Carnival?

Just wondering....they can easily know someone's age...but how about younger people with medical issues?  No way to know unless it's obvious (on oxygen etc).

There is NO way I could get in to see any of my doctors just to fill out a form.  They're busy and I make appts. months in advance.  Neither DH or I have any issues (70 & 85) but DH is on high blood pressure med, so I guess he doesn't qualify to cruise.

Oh well....I'll gladly take a FCC

Thanks for CC to keep us updated!

What is Carnival thinking?  If they're changing their terms, they have an obligation to make sure the people leaving on a cruise in a couple of days are FOR SURE made aware of those changes.  An email, a letter, AND a follow up phone call from somebody at HQ checking their name off a list to make sure they were contacted and understand.  That's the least they can do.  If they can't do that, it's just time to put a moratorium on their cruising until they get their ducks in a row.  It is obvious their efforts at communicating these significant, confusing, and quick changes is lacking. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

We are not going until May but we are both 71 and healthy, but apparently will need the letter. After holding for an hour I finally spoke to Carnival as to the required format for the letter. She said, Your doctor will no. Getting ridiculous for sure

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naxer said:

What is Carnival thinking?  If they're changing their terms, they have an obligation to make sure the people leaving on a cruise in a couple of days are FOR SURE made aware of those changes.  An email, a letter, AND a follow up phone call from somebody at HQ checking their name off a list to make sure they were contacted and understand.  That's the least they can do.  If they can't do that, it's just time to put a moratorium on their cruising until they get their ducks in a row.  It is obvious their efforts at communicating these significant, confusing, and quick changes is lacking. 

Well put.

• Like 1

Why isn't this info plastered on the home page of Carnival?  There's a tiny line at the top of the page, I didn't even notice it at first glance.  Instead the eye is drawn to booking excursions.  There should be a huge flashing banner, the most important thing on the page.  I highlighted it in yellow to draw attention.

image.thumb.png.c32811e5a3e791554a51b0a5c144ffce.png

Edited by farler05
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, 48traveler said:

We are not going until May but we are both 71 and healthy, but apparently will need the letter. After holding for an hour I finally spoke to Carnival as to the required format for the letter. She said, Your doctor will no. Getting ridiculous for sure

And what a way to overburden the health system. Like they need extra healthy patients right now.

• Like 2

I'm scheduled to sail on Sunday via the Horizon. I did get the letter via email that explained the "new" travel rules effective immediately. It's the same letter John Held posted on FB isyou want to take look. Not sure why others didn't get it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, farler05 said:

Why isn't this info plastered on the home page of Carnival?  There's a tiny line at the top of the page, I didn't even notice it at first glance.  Instead the eye is drawn to booking excursions.  There should be a huge flashing banner, the most important thing on the page.  I highlighted it in yellow to draw attention.

image.thumb.png.c32811e5a3e791554a51b0a5c144ffce.png

Saw on FB of John Heald but not on Carnival website.  It is very BAD of Carnival and should have the new rule posting or notifying cruisers.  The letter dated March 12 and they turned people away on March 13. 

We are 70+ with one of us is a diabetic, we went through the WHOLE document (on the web) not a single sentence regarding the letter or restriction.  John Heald will take question TOMORROW by then it is too lat for those sailing today or later.

Things have changed from hour to hour. I was supposed to leave next week and have checked google every hour. Unfortunately my cruise was canceled, but I knew right away.

People should be vigilant right now with all the panic going on.

• Like 1

I don't cruise until June 3rd but I think the "70 years and older" threshold is very unfair. I am 72 and it a lot better health than people I know who are in their 50s.  I also wonder if this isn't going to be challenged by the ADA and other groups.  We are all adults and if we're willing to cruise why would they discriminate against us because of our age?

• Like 3

The letter that your doctor will refuse to write is Carnival covering their butts. The good news for those of us will sailings scheduled to depart this weekend is that you can get a full refund (not just a FCC + OBC) for the whole cabin of the impacted member. Something to consider. Pretty much every line has cancelled sailings. Get out while you can. There's an online form to fill out in the email.

• Like 1