Diabetic Type 2 and cruising

marshhawk

My thought is, if you look, the rules changed for 3 days. Coincidence that their policy end date tied to same date they suspended operations? Me think not. I've heard there was discussion days before with cruise execs and government on shutting down. So my guess is Carnival wanted to be sure if there was any problems with those final cruises debarking that they wouldn't have passengers on board that could run out of medicine during any quarantine period. When cruises resume I would think they resume as they did prior as risk of quarantine should be slim to none.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

The 70+ health requirement came out of the meeting between VP Pence and cruise line executives 7 days ago.  CLIA, the Cruise Lines International Association, was challenged by Pence to submit a proposal within 48 hours for allowing cruises to continue, while limiting risk to passengers.  The 70+ requirement came from CLIA, not Carnival, although Carnival and other major lines such as RCCL, and NCL are members of CLIA.  These CLIA requirements were rolled out simultaneously by CLIA members including RCCL and NCL just two days ago. 

Under the pressure of the deadline, and trying to respond to ongoing situations, this was not well thought out.  It should have been obvious that few, if any, medical professionals would assume the liability to sign such a letter.  Carnival cannot unilaterally change this CLIA requirement, but as the largest CLIA member should take the leadership role in getting this straightened out.  I expect we will hear something about this soon.

I would imagine that the 70+ age group wasn't just picked at random. I would think that a little research went into it. Such as this data.

Age of Coronavirus Deaths

COVID-19 Fatality Rate by AGE:

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). This probability differs depending on the age group. The percentages shown below do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group. Rather, it represents, for a person in a given age group, the risk of dying if infected with COVID-19.

confirmed cases
DEATH RATE
all cases
80+ years old
21.9%
14.8%
70-79 years old

8.0%
60-69 years old

3.6%
50-59 years old

1.3%
40-49 years old

0.4%
30-39 years old

0.2%
20-29 years old

0.2%
10-19 years old

0.2%
0-9 years old

no fatalities

*Death Rate = (number of deaths / number of cases) = probability of dying if infected by the virus (%). The percentages do not have to add up to 100%, as they do NOT represent share of deaths by age group.

In general, relatively few cases are seen among children.

from this web site.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

I would imagine that the 70+ age group wasn't just picked at random. I would think that a little research went into it.

Totally agree.  The main purpose of my post, and similar ones on a couple of other threads, is to point out that this requirement was not unilaterally concocted by Carnival, but rather by CLIA, the industry trade organization.  RCCL, NCL, ... are being bashed as well.  The cruise lines need to work through CLIA to address the issues that have been raised.

4 minutes ago, TomCruise48 said:

Totally agree.  The main purpose of my post, and similar ones on a couple of other threads, is to point out that this requirement was not unilaterally concocted by Carnival, but rather by CLIA, the industry trade organization.  RCCL, NCL, ... are being bashed as well.  The cruise lines need to work through CLIA to address the issues that have been raised.

You are 100% correct and good information to share.

• Like 1

Years ago I answered yes to diabetic on a health application for Carnival so I guess that they would keep that health information.  Couldn't lie about it now,  additional meds now require to wearing a medical id bracelet that I didn't have to wear years ago. I am a 2 not a 1.,  but it seems so far, that it is folks coming off the ships that are showing positive, and not those getting on..  I just think that Covid -19 might have been here before we knew what it was.

Great input here, thanks .

• Like 1