Celebrity Silhouette - Review - February 23, 2020 - March 6, 2020

Noreen411

Noreen,

thanks so much for continuing this review.  Your pictures are just lovely.  We usually get so many taken on board and we are lucky if we can find two that look half way decent.  

have you made a decision about your next cruises?  We are booked on the oasis 5/31 cruise and thinking that will probably not happen. 

22 hours ago, Bimmer09 said:

Noreen-what's not to enjoy in Murano?

It's my favorite restaurant at sea.

Worth the spend!

Norris

We totally enjoyed it.  I think we ate dinner in Murano 7 out of the 12 nights on this cruise.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marvy Mare said:

Hi Noreen

Enjoying your review. I remember reading one of yours a few years ago. Great food photos. I must disagree though. The crepe strawberry dessert that I had at Murano was one of the best desserts I’ve ever tasted.😄  We returned on March 13th from a cruise on the Reflection. The ship headed out again but was back in a few days. My husband has always said that he liked the Silhouette better than the Reflection. It was about 4 years ago that we sailed on the Silhouette (our first cruise ever) but it looks quite different from what I remember. Edgified? 
Looks like you had a great time. 

Maris

Hi Maris

I just started reading your Reflection review; I am enjoying it immensely.  I think we are the probably the last two reviews being worked on before things got so crazy.  Your photos are amazing.  I’m not that fancy, I’m just taking pictures on my phone.  We did that same itinerary on our first Celebrity cruise on Reflection in 2018

The crepe dessert at Murano was popular; we saw plenty of people ordering it.  We don’t like balsamic and that’s why we didn’t really enjoy it.  If it was in a different type of sauce we probably would have loved it.  I don’t cook so my suggestions may not be realistic but if they strawberries were cooked in cognac or something like that and poured over the crepe we probably would have loved it too

This was only our second Celebrity cruise with Reflection being our first.  Silhouette did just come through it’s edgification (sp?) and we were only the second sailing after coming out of dry dock.  The ships seemed very similar to me.  Some of the decor looked updated on Silhouette.  The retreat sundeck was new and a great addition; I remember our surprise that there wasn’t something like that on Reflection.   I would happily sail on either ship again.

Stay safe and healthy

14 hours ago, maggieq said:

Noreen,

thanks so much for continuing this review.  Your pictures are just lovely.  We usually get so many taken on board and we are lucky if we can find two that look half way decent.  

have you made a decision about your next cruises?  We are booked on the oasis 5/31 cruise and thinking that will probably not happen. 

Hi

Thank you for the kind words.

I think the next few cruise decisions will be made for us.  Our next cruise is Oasis 6/27 which I don’t think will happen either.  I made our final payment being overly optimistic but I can’t see it happening unfortunately.  I think all sailings through mid-may have already been cancelled and now we just have to wait and see when the next batch of cancellations come through.

Stay safe and healthy

Noreen

1 hour ago, Noreen411 said:

Hi Maris

I just started reading your Reflection review; I am enjoying it immensely.  I think we are the probably the last two reviews being worked on before things got so crazy.  Your photos are amazing.  I’m not that fancy, I’m just taking pictures on my phone.  We did that same itinerary on our first Celebrity cruise on Reflection in 2018

The crepe dessert at Murano was popular; we saw plenty of people ordering it.  We don’t like balsamic and that’s why we didn’t really enjoy it.  If it was in a different type of sauce we probably would have loved it.  I don’t cook so my suggestions may not be realistic but if they strawberries were cooked in cognac or something like that and poured over the crepe we probably would have loved it too

This was only our second Celebrity cruise with Reflection being our first.  Silhouette did just come through it’s edgification (sp?) and we were only the second sailing after coming out of dry dock.  The ships seemed very similar to me.  Some of the decor looked updated on Silhouette.  The retreat sundeck was new and a great addition; I remember our surprise that there wasn’t something like that on Reflection.   I would happily sail on either ship again.

Stay safe and healthy

Noreen

Yes, I think we might be the only two Celebrity reviews anyway. Norris would know.😊. There's the difference in taste. I love any kind of vinegar. As a child I used to drink it. Still might on occasion. The retreat is an area, just for suites, so we will never see it.

The Reflection hasn't had the upgrade yet. The Silhouette and the Reflection were quite similar. What I like about the Reflection is the ability to walk all around the ship on deck 15 and the bigger area outside the Oceanview Cafe. 

I notice that you enjoyed Murano, more than once. A friend on the Reflection, wasn't really pleased with the Luminae (I'm not sure why) and preferred to eat in the specialty restaurants or the main dining room.

Keep safe

Maris 

31 minutes ago, Marvy Mare said:

Noreen

Yes, I think we might be the only two Celebrity reviews anyway. Norris would know.😊. There's the difference in taste. I love any kind of vinegar. As a child I used to drink it. Still might on occasion. The retreat is an area, just for suites, so we will never see it.

The Reflection hasn't had the upgrade yet. The Silhouette and the Reflection were quite similar. What I like about the Reflection is the ability to walk all around the ship on deck 15 and the bigger area outside the Oceanview Cafe. 

I notice that you enjoyed Murano, more than once. A friend on the Reflection, wasn't really pleased with the Luminae (I'm not sure why) and preferred to eat in the specialty restaurants or the main dining room.

Keep safe

Maris 

Hi.

We only ate in Luminae once this trip for breakfast.  It reminds me a lot of Coastal Kitchen (Royal Caribbean’s suite restaurant); the menus are even pretty similar (sometimes the same).  We realized on one of our Royal Caribbean cruises during dinner at Coastal Kitchen the first night of that cruise, the menu was the same as the first night Luminae menu.  We ate dinner at Luminae the first night on Reflection 2 years ago.  We even ordered the same things.  The presentation was a bit different but the items were the same.

We eat in Coastal Kitchen most nights on Royal Caribbean and enjoy having the same waiter who gets to know us.  We missed that when we moved around to the different specialty restaurants on Celebrity on Reflection.  But since we ended up spending maybe 7 out of 12 nights at Murano this trip, we were able to make that connection.  Other than maybe 2 nights we had the same waiter that we really liked.  The hosts and sommelier go to know us also.  

Noreen

• Like 1

Hi Noreen, what a pleasant surprise to find your review here! I really liked your Mariner/Disney review on the Royal board last year. You write well with great detail and structure in each entry. We were on the Silhouette last year pre-dry dock and were supposed to sail on her again this year, so I'm especially savoring the details you're sharing here. 

I'm halfway through now and looking forward to the rest! Thanks for taking the time to do this. 

On 3/29/2020 at 4:34 PM, Noreen411 said:

Thursday 2/27/20 - Antigua

We walked around the pier area.  We did a little shopping.  We even walked out of the immediate pier area.  Every few steps we were approached by taxi drivers or people trying to sell us things.  I know this is how they make their living but we are more comfortable looking at things and buying without constantly being asked.

Noreen

We found the same thing when in Antigua in 2018. We got off the ship before our scheduled tour and thought we’d walk around for a bit. We were harassed so much that we were both nervous. Managed to find a quiet bar where we could wait in peace. 

Totally caught up with your review now. You mentioned a photo opp with a monkey. Good choice not taking it. Our son in law was bitten during a photo session in south east Asia. They had a difficult time finding a rabies vaccine. I think they had to search it out themselves and after that panic he had to go through the series of painful rabies shots. 

I get a kick out of Scott posing with the menu at each meal. What a good sport. I’ll have to out that out to Ken. 

Maris

Edited by Marvy Mare
Addition
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 8:48 AM, Marvy Mare said:

We found the same thing when in Antigua in 2018. We got off the ship before our scheduled tour and thought we’d walk around for a bit. We were harassed so much that we were both nervous. Managed to find a quiet bar where we could wait in peace. 

Maris (and hi again Noreen!) there are a number of islands where wandering past the port gates is going to get you harassed and there are even recommendations on board to avoid doing so in some places. Ocho Rios is one place that immediately springs to mind. Falmouth too and on my one visit to Grenada 30 years ago me and my then wife chose to go to a beautiful public beach only to have to deal with an endless cavalcade of hustlers. One even went down to the water and brought back a conch shell to sell to me, LOL.  I told him that after my nap-"once you go away"-I'll go down and get a free one  myself . Hair braiding?

Can I play you a Bob Marley song? Need some "smoke"? Etc. Beach day cut short.

I can't blame poor people/hustlers for trying to make a quick buck from the tourists they'll never see again but now they'll get a good idea of what it's like when their island is no longer on an itinerary. Common sense-taking "no thanks" for an answer and moving on to another tourist will probably never occur to them so I would expect them to return to work with even more gusto when the ships return. Sigh.

The Caribbean Ports section is always worth a visit to see if harassment is prevalent on one of your port stops. The ABC islands I love for the lack of hustlers (in my experience after multiple visits). Thanks for the heads-up on Antigua!

Norris

On 4/7/2020 at 4:56 PM, mchell810 said:

I've read nothing but great things about Murano and was looking forward to trying it in October.  I am still hoping that may happen 🤞

Murano was great.  It ended up being our favorite restaurant this sailing.  We ate there I think 7 out of the 12 nights.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed to that you are able to go in October 

Noreen

• Thanks 1

On 4/7/2020 at 10:44 PM, windjamming said:

Hi Noreen, what a pleasant surprise to find your review here! I really liked your Mariner/Disney review on the Royal board last year. You write well with great detail and structure in each entry. We were on the Silhouette last year pre-dry dock and were supposed to sail on her again this year, so I'm especially savoring the details you're sharing here. 

I'm halfway through now and looking forward to the rest! Thanks for taking the time to do this. 

Hi.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.  Sometimes I worry that I write the way I speak; which is probably with a lot of run on sentences.

I know it’s taking me a while since I only really work on it on the weekends.  Work keeps me busy during the week (I’m not complaining; I’m happy to be employed at a job a really enjoy 98% of the time).

Noreen

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Noreen411 said:

Hi.

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.  Sometimes I worry that I write the way I speak; which is probably with a lot of run on sentences.

I know it’s taking me a while since I only really work on it on the weekends.  Work keeps me busy during the week (I’m not complaining; I’m happy to be employed at a job a really enjoy 98% of the time).

Noreen

I'm sure all of us who are following are just glad to get your  posts, no matter if it takes awhile.  It's a bit like a Norris/ @Bimmer09 report that gives us something good to read for weeks!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I'm sure all of us who are following are just glad to get your  posts, no matter if it takes awhile.  It's a bit like a Norris/ @Bimmer09 report that gives us something good to read for weeks!

Thank you but I am no where near his league when it comes to writing reviews.  But I’m glad people are enjoying mine.

Noreen

Edited by Noreen411
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Sunday 3/1/20 - Barbados

We both went to the gym about 6:45.

When we got back we showered and got dressed.

Our room service breakfast was delivered while we were at the gym.  Scott had an omelet and I had banana pancakes.  We are definitely getting spoiled with our room service breakfasts.

7D68BFDA-50F9-4BB1-9026-C19027874832.jpeg

45795206-3E73-4FF3-9828-A0BE974D3A01.jpeg

It was pouring when we left the ship.  We brought the big Celebrity Umbrella that was in the cabin and it kept us relatively dry.  There are shuttles to take you from the ship to the terminal, but we walked.

But the time we got near the terminal the rain stopped and we stopped for a picture with the Barbados sign. I’m standing behind the A in the middle.

1E2DADE1-863F-4204-B864-854BBFE6C254.jpeg

Edited by Noreen411
  • Like 2

Sunday 3/1/20 - Continued

We took a cab to Pirates Cove.  There are a few beach clubs all in a row along this strip of beach and the ones we’ve been to are all very nice (The Boatyard, Harbour Lights, and Pirates Cove).

FDF735E8-1ADE-498A-A974-F9B74DC1C186.jpeg

There weren’t many rows of chairs set up when we arrived since it was raining earlier, but the sun was out now.

We got situated in our chairs and umbrella.

CED2F2EF-8B96-4BFF-AF95-5424E2976A82.jpeg

We went swimming.  The water is such a beautiful blue color.

04DBFA79-8407-40D9-BB11-AB238E9DA125.jpeg

I’m not sure if you can really tell in this picture but the toenail polish I love to get for cruises reminds me of this water.  My toes are at the bottom of the picture.   It’s called Viva Antigua by Essie and the lady that does my pedicure adds a little extra sparkle to it.  

4E07BB7D-4F23-4367-A9BB-B19831AB3B12.jpeg

We took a walk down the beach.

C134406F-1AA6-46BF-ABEA-67DBD7990F0A.jpeg

When we got back where our chairs were we went swimming and snorkeling.  Scott dives down when he snorkels where I just kind of float along on the top of the water.  He found these pretty shells that we will put a date on (hopefully we remember to do this) and make into an ornament.  I’m not very creative so that will probably just mean putting a string on them to hang them.

This picture is from later in the day, back on the ship, after they were washed and lined up on the table.

8970EC3F-F8D2-4B25-90F4-80612071B9F6.jpeg

When we got back to our lounge chairs I read my kindle and Scott took a nap.

We left the beach around 1:45 and took a cab back.

We stopped in some of the shops near the pier to buy an ornament and a T shirt and hat for Scott.

Edited by Noreen411
  • Like 1

When we got back on the ship we dropped our beach bag in the cabin, washed our hands and went to get something to eat.  We weren’t starving so didn’t want a big meal.  We decided to try the OceanView buffet and see what they had.  Scott made himself a sandwich.  There was a carving station where they were carving turkey so I had a few slices and some cranberry sauce.  I forgot to take pictures but it was pretty good; it was better than we expected.

We stopped at the Retreat Lounge to change our dinner reservations to Murano for the rest of the trip except tonight when we are going to the Lawn Club Grill.

Diego and Joao (the Retreat Lounge concierges) have been great.  They are always so helpful and accommodating.  I know we could have asked Alex to change our dining reservations for us, but we didn’t mind stopping in the lounge to do it.

While we were there I asked when they will have scones again.  Joao offered to have them sent up to our cabin later this afternoon when they are ready.

We went back to the cabin and washed out the bathing suits and snorkel gear.

We hung out on the balcony.  I read my kindle and Scott used the IPad.  

The doorbell rang.  We assumed it was our scones but it was fruit.  We like fruit but we were looking forward to scones.

263C47C7-A905-474D-ADFB-DFC8E8238EF3.jpeg

We were laughing thinking they decided we should have a healthy snack this afternoon instead of scones.  I figured I would stop at the Retreat Lounge to pick some scones up.  When I got there Joao asked if the scones arrived.  I told him I thought he changed his mind and wanted us to eat fruit instead.  He called to check on them on they were being delivered.  Scott also texted me to say they arrived.

By the time I got back to the cabin Scott already ate one.

26D34B64-98C8-4B94-91EF-BBE1EA4A9E09.jpeg

These were so good.  We picked the raisins out of the one that had raisins.  We liked the cream with the strawberry preserves on the scone.  

After our snack we went in the jacuzzi on the balcony.

8C76F922-6BC5-43B7-A598-E7AF6537D12A.jpeg

Edited by Noreen411
  • Like 1

We showered and got dressed.  We were casual since we are going to the Lawn Club Grill. 

We decided to try the Sunset Bar and the Sunset Pina Colada that was raved about.  

We chatted with the bartender and I asked what was in the Sunset Pina Colada.  He told me the ingredients (I don’t remember them now) and it sounded good so I said I would have one.  Scott ordered a martini.

Scott’s martini came and we assumed he was making my drink.  We waited for a while.  Another guest came to the bar and ordered a drink and he received it.  Scott reminded him about my drink and he was very apologetic and rushed to make it.  It wasn’t a problem, we were relaxing and just enjoying hanging out there.

Unfortunately, my drink was terrible.  I took one sip and that was all I could take.  I’m not sure what was in it, but I didn’t like it at all.

Scott suggested we go to the Retreat Sundeck bar and get that version instead. We walked along to the front to the retreat sundeck.

The pool deck looked so pretty as we were walking by.

9C50C8D9-149E-4350-A8B4-92CC0FF2B7A9.jpeg

The retreat sundeck was open but the bar was closing up.  

Instead we went to the Retreat Lounge and I had my peach bourbon drink (wimpy version) which was very good.  This is my new favorite drink.

41E33BC9-1991-4ADB-95D8-E3AC451C9EA5.jpeg

It was very quiet in the lounge tonight.

26237770-EC5E-4DA9-8971-16173969C13B.jpeg

We stopped for the photographer taking pictures.  It’s a cute casual picture.

367AD53E-4EEE-4059-9719-A27A29F32652.jpeg

Edited by Noreen411
  • Like 1

We had dinner at the Lawn Club Grill.

D141BE1D-69DD-4E65-967F-CBC27D69C900.jpeg

We started by sharing the small pizza with tomato and cheese (no sauce).  This was very good.

7E64D988-1A61-4B65-8280-1D888619448A.jpeg

I had the filet and dirty rice.  

54D7F5B9-B174-42EF-B845-8068EC62D158.jpeg

Scott had the bratwurst, 2 shrimp/scallop skewers, and corn.

FAA2D0A1-30C9-4BC0-9596-4E8886F11306.jpeg

6F8547E7-2134-47BD-848B-EE24C8A30B0F.jpeg

Our food was good.  We both enjoyed it.

For dessert Scott decided to try something different and ordered the carrot cake which he liked.  I stuck with my favorite chocolate chip cookie with ice cream.

B03CE787-2D92-47E2-ABE9-872A252654D3.jpeg

CFF17255-1359-400A-9AED-C5A5283DC6A0.jpeg

After dinner we went to the theater for the show.  It was an Intimate Broadway Cabaret with the Celebrity Singers and Dancers.  It started at 9 and we didn’t get there until about 9:15.  We didn’t see any seats so stood in the back to watch.

After the show we ran into some people we keep running into.  Mike and Jen.  They are originally from Brooklyn NY (where I am from) but they live in Florida now.  Jen said that Scott reminds her of her son.  We had a nice time hanging out with them.

8869421C-9981-4FE9-AB09-76F011F34DF2.jpeg

Scott gave Jen one of the shells he found snorkeling.

7CF65AA6-63F7-4FED-A02C-854B21191B9D.jpeg

We went to the casino until about 1am then went to our cabin, watched part of a movie, and fell asleep.

Edited by Noreen411
  • Like 1

Noreen

I have been keeping up with your review of your recent cruise.

Although it seems to be a long time since people like you and your hubby were able to enjoy such vacations,when really , it has been about a month since cruising stopped. So, I appreciate you posting about your Silhouette experiences.

I have a question... Often you report that the room service breakfast was delivered while you were at the gym. I am wondering how the hot items remained hot during the time you were away from the cabin. Was there away to reheat the items? Just curious.

Hi Noreen 

Really enjoying the Review.  We did the transatlantic on the Silhouette back in October / November and had been due to go on it again in Early May (we are based in the UK)...............maybe one day.

We usually take a balcony cabin and the take / buy all the perks (to get the wifi / premium drinks etc) and also more often than not, eat in the Speciality Restaurants.  Think we did 10 / 11 nights out of the 15 nights on the Transatlantic in the speciality restaurants in October as preferred these to the MDR. 

Do you know where I can find a listing of what extras you get with when you book a suite rather than a balcony as if for example the speciality restaurants are included free with the suite fare, it may be worthwhile our considering a suite next time (rather than paying the add on each evening for the restaurants - love Murano and Tuscan).  Also be interested as to any other extra you get when booking a suite. 

At first glance the suites can seem a bit expensive but if many of the add ons are already included...……......the added space may not be that much more (and we are on holiday) !  

Keep going with the review - brings back many happy memories and ideas for next time ........................whenever that may be.

13 hours ago, MJSailors said:

Noreen

I have been keeping up with your review of your recent cruise.

Although it seems to be a long time since people like you and your hubby were able to enjoy such vacations,when really , it has been about a month since cruising stopped. So, I appreciate you posting about your Silhouette experiences.

I have a question... Often you report that the room service breakfast was delivered while you were at the gym. I am wondering how the hot items remained hot during the time you were away from the cabin. Was there away to reheat the items? Just curious.

Hi.

Thank you for the encouragement.

We did not have a way to reheat the room service orders.  We would try to have them delivered at what we figured would be near the end of our workout.  They stayed under those metal lids when they arrived and by the time we ate them they weren’t exactly hot, but warm enough.  I wouldn’t do it with something that needed to be hot hot, but if you are OK with semi-hot, it worked well.  If we ate them as soon as we got back they probably would have been hotter, but we would normally wait until after we showered and got dressed.  

8 hours ago, Blue Magic 1959 said:

Hi Noreen 

Really enjoying the Review.  We did the transatlantic on the Silhouette back in October / November and had been due to go on it again in Early May (we are based in the UK)...............maybe one day.

We usually take a balcony cabin and the take / buy all the perks (to get the wifi / premium drinks etc) and also more often than not, eat in the Speciality Restaurants.  Think we did 10 / 11 nights out of the 15 nights on the Transatlantic in the speciality restaurants in October as preferred these to the MDR. 

Do you know where I can find a listing of what extras you get with when you book a suite rather than a balcony as if for example the speciality restaurants are included free with the suite fare, it may be worthwhile our considering a suite next time (rather than paying the add on each evening for the restaurants - love Murano and Tuscan).  Also be interested as to any other extra you get when booking a suite. 

At first glance the suites can seem a bit expensive but if many of the add ons are already included...……......the added space may not be that much more (and we are on holiday) !  

Keep going with the review - brings back many happy memories and ideas for next time ........................whenever that may be.

Hi.

Thank you for the encouragement.

I looked at the Celebrity Website to see if there is an easy way to see the list of the extras you get with a suite, but I didn’t find a grid (like I was expecting).  It shows what everyone gets who books a suite but then you have to look at the different types of suites to see what changes.

This is only my second Celebrity cruise (both were in Royal Suites) so I’ll try to summarize the way I understand it and I’m sure someone can jump in if I miss something

All suites (starting with Sky Suites) get to use the Retreat Lounge, the Retreat Sundeck, dining in Luminae, a butler, and special seating area in the theater on chic nights.

Royal Suites, Penthouse Suites (plus the additional giant suites on Edge class) also get some additional items:

The room pre-stocked with two bottles of alcohol of their choice

The room pre-stocked and refilled throughout the trip with other beverages such as water, soda, juice, beer, etc.

Included Specialty Restaurants

Included Premium Beverage Package

Included WiFi

Special Delivery Embarkation (it didn’t worked as it should have on Silhouette)

Sometimes there are specials where all suites get included beverage packages and WiFi, but it’s not always a perk of the room.

You definitely feel spoiled when you travel in a suite on Celebrity.

Noreen

• Like 1