Marella Dream Refund for 2nd week cruise or lost Hotel Stay

We were on the Dream 'Spirit of Iberia' sailing from Malaga 8th March, with a planned 7 night hotel stay in Fuengirola following the cruise. Some other passengers should have had a 2 week cruise, but had to leave the ship after 1 week - all due to Spain's lock down. We all flew home on the 15th to Manchester regardless of original departure airport.

No-one received (as far as I am aware), any information from Marella on disembarking regarding compensation for the aborted 2nd week of the holiday, and since Sunday, nothing has arrived from TUI.

Does anyone know where we stand regarding compensation from Tui for the loss of the second week, rather than a possible insurance claim?

• 2 weeks later...

We are in a similar position as the second week of our back to back Canaries cruise was cancelled at short notice and we were flown home from Tenerife on the 13th March (rather than 20th). Absolutely appreciate that TUI will be very busy at the moment and for that reason have not made contact with them as yet. However we would have expected a holding email from them by now to let us know they will get to us at some point rather than leaving us in the dark as how to proceed.

If the cruise/stay was a package booked and provided by TUI you should get a refund from TUI as they cancelled.  If it was booked through a travel agent and not on line you will need to contact the TA and they will contact TUI on your behalf

Hope this helps Also have you looked on TUI website for procedures

Thanks for your response. Yes, I have looked at TUI and Marella websites and the message is to basically sit tight and they will make direct contact when they have time. I fully understand this and have no problem with it at all. I am just a little concerned that we were already on ship and I’m unsure therefore it classes as ‘cancelled’.

Anyway, no worries, we are home and healthy, so all good!

I think everyone has to be patient My sister was due to go on a holiday/cruise to Barbados 19th March She had booked a flight with Virgin 4 days in a hotel in Barbados - cruise only with Marella on line followed by 3 days again in Barbados To get refunds has been messy - 3 providers and she is still awaiting a refund from TUI but knows she'll get it eventually!!!

Yes you are home and healthy please stay that way

my friend flew to Australia end of Jan to see her elderly unwell sister and at midnight the night before she flew home Emerites cancelled her flight and can't tell her when she'll be able to fly home She only has her meds for another 3 wks and unless her son can post some on to her she'll have a very expensive doctors bill

Edited by Vitalsign

TUI are playing a stalling game on refunds and petitioning the government (as is the whole industry) to revise the rules so that they can offer a credit note or an alternative future holiday or cruise etc.

The travel industry has been devastated by the fallout from corona virus following on from the recent collapse of Thomas Cook which itself was a major catastrophe.

The government may well end up as the guarantor of last resort to payback customers over cancellations.

TUI are largely in disarray (understandably) trying to sort out all aspects of this disaster - and they don't have a clue (again understandably) when things will get back to normal.

If you check their website they are still offering packages to Mallorca (a random choice) from Sat. 18th April - a day after they identified an immediate cancellation date to cancel existing bookings.

There's no chance of any April bookings going ahead, and less chance of anybody being silly enough to reserve one.

One huge mess all round.

Edited by WeeCountyMan
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At long last, a response from Tui regarding our cruise and stay holiday - See below

We’re writing with an update about your recent cruise.

We’re really sorry your holiday was cut short and thank you for your patience while we’ve been repatriating our guests and crew. It’s a phrase that’s been used a lot but these are unprecedented times and we’ve had a number of challenges to work through in the last few weeks. But we’re pleased to say that many of our Marella family are now safely back home.

Before you returned to the UK, we wrote to you onboard promising a refund for the significant disruption you experienced during your cruise. (Ours must have been mislaid as we never received anything)

Local authorities introduced restrictions that meant we weren’t able to offer you the holiday you booked, missing ports and ultimately repatriating you to the UK.

We’re really sorry for the delay to this refund and we’re pleased to say the confirmed refund will be with you very soon. We expect to have most of these finished within the next 7-10 days.

Once again, thank you for your understanding at this difficult time.

We hope to see you onboard again in the future.

Sincerely,

The team at Marella Cruises

Yours sincerely,

Hayley Lian

Holiday Change

TUI Group

Progress at last. It will be interesting to see how much it will be, and how long it takes to receive anything

Well, just checked bank account, (no update after receiving the first and only email from Tui last Friday), so

amazed to find that the refund has arrived! No explanation of monetary breakdown, but amount is actually a bit more than I expected! 

Very frustrating wait, due to lack of communication by Tui, took 50 days,  but can now draw a line under it - thank god.

All I can say to others is, hopefully yours will come soon, as lots of people are reporting receiving refunds (on Trustpilot) in last 7 days. Perhaps threats from the CMA has helped.