Help me make decision....FCC or possible cash refund

Petoonya

On Bliss May 17 Alaska. Not a cruise I wanted to do but to join a reunion which has now been cancelled. I've held onto my booking paid in full. I'm an Oceania regular and the NCL FCC isn't what I want, as I'd choose Oceania over NCL. A refund is what I'm hoping for.

Is this a game of chicken with NCL if I wait a little while, like the week before the cruise for NCL to cancel hoping for a refund? This cruise has a stop in Victoria BC, Canada but that's certainly not enough for NCL to cancel the cruise. Since NCL has said that they may change offers without notice, wonder if I should just take the FCC and run, or hope the cruise is cancelled and get a refund. BTW we have independent insurance.

What are your thoughts?

Edited by Petoonya

Looks like your gonna get 'out of jail' on that cruise!! 😉

Def wait, it will 99% certain be cancelled. This virus is not going away for another 6 months, still isn't close to peaking. Even if it isn't you will have the cancel up to 48 hours previous peace of mind.

16 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Looks like your gonna get 'out of jail' on that cruise!! 😉

Def wait, it will 99% certain be cancelled. This virus is not going away for another 6 months, still isn't close to peaking. Even if it isn't you will have the cancel up to 48 hours previous peace of mind.

Thanks Hamrag. I'm such an idiot I worry that I'll forget to cancel! But I guess I'll just sit on my hands for now and take my "get out of jail free" card. One thing that concerns me is that NCL could fold, but then I guess we'd all be screwed. Worth waiting. Appreciate your input 🙂

Edited by Petoonya

We picked the Refund.

having the 28 day cruise booked it was a big FCC and they will not allow you to split it. it has to be used in 1 cruise.

I just Noticed you took the Windstar Tahiti to Tahiti 17 day cruise!

We are looking at it as a potential option fir my wife’s Retirement Cruise.

Sounds like you guys had a great group when you went.

thanks fir all your tips and tours ideas and contacts.

Ed And Michelle 

1 hour ago, kent1941 said:

I would take the cash.

My bet is for the cruise companies will file for the organization/bankruptcy

Future cruise credit will probably be worth very little

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I seriously doubt that the cruise lines are going to go out of business.  If they end up filing for bankruptcy, it will be under Chapter 11, not Chapter 7.  Stockholders will most likely be wiped out, but I doubt that they'd do anything to hurt customers, such as wiping out FCC.  For comparison purposes, I would look to what's happened in the past when airlines filed for bankruptcy under Chapter 11.  Although not an exact comparison, frequent flyer miles remained intact. 

3 hours ago, Travelicious said:

Has this changed over the last few days?  This is contrary to what the FAQs indicated as of several days ago.

Sorry NCL WILL allow splitting FCC.

I was On a OCEANIA Cruise with PETOONYA and Oceania Does not Allow splitting of FCC.

I was referring to the Oceania cruise that just got cancelled on us.

Sorry if i caused some confusion.

2 hours ago, bigedwin said:

Sorry NCL WILL allow splitting FCC.

I was On a OCEANIA Cruise with PETOONYA and Oceania Does not Allow splitting of FCC.

I was referring to the Oceania cruise that just got cancelled on us.

Sorry if i caused some confusion.

Oh, no problem.  I just wanted to make sure NCL had not changed the terms in the last few days.

Take the money, you can always book later. That extra 25% in FCC is just a mirage, even if they don't go under. Prices will be lower in the future in an attempt to recapture the business. My take is that so many cruisers out there are habitual and ships will be docked long enough for many to get out of the habit.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 9:40 AM, Waquoit said:

Take the money, you can always book later. That extra 25% in FCC is just a mirage, even if they don't go under. Prices will be lower in the future in an attempt to recapture the business. My take is that so many cruisers out there are habitual and ships will be docked long enough for many to get out of the habit.

Know you're 500% right. I hate what's happening to my own and other's travel agents. Like so many others in the service industry they are taking the hit. Plus putting up with many cruisers misunderstanding that the cruise lines aren't going to refund them immediately even if they claim they will. It's a mad world, it's a sad world- like that sad song goes.

Just an FYI to consider. We did ask for a refund of a cancelled NCL cruise. The money is returned to your credit card.

So, you have some $$ on your card to use as there is no cash payout for our card.