Coronavirus symptoms (late December)?

jtwilshire

1 hour ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

With everyone thinking if you've had Covid then you might be immune, what if it affects you the opposite way? Meaning, your body might be "damaged" from the virus and it can't recover as well a second time.  I have read that it can affect your kidneys and heart and do damage to them and it would create more issues in the future for those organs.

You have immunity to a disease because your body has developed antibodies that prevent you from becoming infected either by your having previously been exposed to the disease or by having been vaccinated. I'm not a doctor, but that seems to be a separate  issue from what damage to organs might have resulted from your being infected. That damage might cause other problems for you down the road, but at least intuitively I think that's a separate issue from immunity. But...as I said...I'm not a doctor.

On 3/17/2020 at 4:31 PM, MrsKC08 said:

It's definitely possible. My co-worker and her husband both believe that what they had in January was the Coronavirus. Of course they were not testing for it back then, but by all accounts of what they had, experienced, and their symptoms...it is quite possible they had this. Let's face it, it's called Covid-19 for a reason. We've seen 18 strains of this in the medical field in the past. Just like all the strains of flu. 

It's called Covid-19 because it was discovered in 2019, not because it had 18 strains before it.

5 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Yes.. I posted that way back on March 17 in post #17 of this thread, shortly after the person first said it.

Sorry NJ; I figured someone corrected this, but in a quick scroll through the 5 pages I didn't see it.

On 4/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, babba said:

I also I believe I had COVID-19 back in February ... It wasn't a "thing" then but I had all the symptoms as you describe ... My husband contracted COVID-19 in March (a confirmed case) and even though it is highly contagious I never contracted it during the time of his illness in addition to  the period of two weeks of self isolation ... I was tested once my husband had a confirmed case and I tested negative ... To this day I have stayed well (knock wood) ... so I really believe ... as you do ... that I had it ...  

Interesting that you did not contract from him.... as my wife did not from me.  

On 4/19/2020 at 10:54 AM, KateQ22003 said:

It's called Covid-19 because it was discovered in 2019, not because it had 18 strains before it.

You're right...in that I mis communciated my point. This strain, Covid-19 is called that because THIS strain was brought to light in 2019. But...we actually have had coronavirus in our country and around the world long before 2019. 

For those of you (like me) who have posted in this thread and think you may have had COVID-19 and were never tested and have since recovered, the NIH is doing an antibody study to see how many adults may have had a prior infection. For more information go to the NIH website and look under the News and Events tab. I have already indicated my interest to them and thought I would spread the word.

• Like 1

For those of you who are laboring under the impression that an antibody test will "prove" whether you have had COVID-19 are going to be in for an unpleasant surprise. If you do some research you'll find plenty of information about the unreliability of the currently available tests.

Even worse, if you're hoping that  a positive result on an antibody test means that you're now immune to COVID-19, it doesn't. At this point medical science knows next to nothing about how much protection against future infection the antibodies you may have provide, and for how long those antibodies may provide any protection. Many viruses mutate quickly, so having last month's version of a disease doesn't necessarily protect you against next month's version. 

The lack of reliable antibody testing and the lack of knowledge about how much protection antibodies may provide are major stumbling blocks that make it all the more difficult to decide when and how to "reopen" society and the economy. 

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1