P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

17 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

It was very well organised, I’d feel happier about going a second time, plus I always like a good browse there, they had some nice handbags.
I recognise one of the ladies sitting at the other table in your photo emoji4.png looks like a former colleague.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It’s a small world!

(I like browsing the handbags. Radley and Kipling are my favourites)

It’s a small world!

(I like browsing the handbags. Radley and Kipling are my favourites)

That’s really funny, they’re my favourites too, I’ve just bought a new small Kipling bag that’s just big enough for phone, keys, cards, mask & hand sanitiser. I’ve started alternating my handbags when going out as I feel they’ve been very neglected during lockdown.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnnieC said:

That looks lovely. Why don't my scones come out like that?😪

4 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I ask myself the same question. My scones tend to be ... er.... heavy! 

Try James Martin's recipe. Light,  fluffy and foolproof. Honestly  😋

Avril 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

That’s really funny, they’re my favourites too, I’ve just bought a new small Kipling bag that’s just big enough for phone, keys, cards, mask & hand sanitiser. I’ve started alternating my handbags when going out as I feel they’ve been very neglected during lockdown.

Kipling have so many colours and sizes of bags. I met a woman on a cruise who had 90 Kiplings! 

I’m trying to vary my bags more, to get some use out of them. Today I used my favourite Radley bag. The nautical ‘Port of Call’ bag, that I bought on a P&O ship, probably about 10 years ago 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

We couldn’t manage the brownies onthe top plate, so I brought them home and my husband has just scoffed them! 

I ask myself the same question. My scones tend to be ... er.... heavy! 

we went to Nutmegs in Rainham High Street, so it’s probably somewhere that is nearby for you 

I thought that looked like Nutmegs!! One of my ‘haunts’ although I’ve not been since lockdown and have never had afternoon tea there, no idea why as I do love a proper afternoon tea!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Oh yes, I haven't been there but I know where it is. I don't often go to Rainham these days unless I'm going to the train station, we used to go more often when our bank had a branch there.

I went to Dobbies yesterday for coffee and cake, the first time since March, it was quite busy but the tables were well spaced, and it was nice enough to sit outside.

I may well go back with my daughters this week for tea and scones. 

A small world indeed, I went to Dobbies last Saturday for coffee and cake. We were able to sit outside which was lovely and had plenty of space.

Couldnt have done that this weekend though as plenty of rain! Still muggy though. We had a little trip to the new out of town M&S at Maidstone yesterday. Was a lovely store but a little disappointed in the clothes, mostly winter ranges! Hubby got some t shirts though 🙄

• Like 2

A small world indeed, I went to Dobbies last Saturday for coffee and cake. We were able to sit outside which was lovely and had plenty of space.
Couldnt have done that this weekend though as plenty of rain! Still muggy though. We had a little trip to the new out of town M&S at Maidstone yesterday. Was a lovely store but a little disappointed in the clothes, mostly winter ranges! Hubby got some t shirts though [emoji849]

I haven’t been over there yet, is it a large store like the nearby Next? I’m hoping to get down to the Ashford outlet soon but may wait until schools are back so it’s not too busy.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I haven’t been over there yet, is it a large store like the nearby Next? I’m hoping to get down to the Ashford outlet soon but may wait until schools are back so it’s not too busy.

Yes, it’s huge! Food hall, clothes and a cafe. Two storeys. We had a small queue to get in but my mum went the day before and didn’t say she had to queue. I’m guessing it’s because we went on a Saturday.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AnnieC said:

Thanks, Avril. Bet I can mess them up, though.😄

The recipe is in his book "The Collection" Follow the recipe to the letter, even if you think the mix is too sticky, and I guarantee you can't mess it up.

Avril

• Like 1

I’ve googled it and found that one

5 tsps of baking powder! 😳

Don’t you taste that?  That baking powder taste is the reason I generally dislike “manufactured”, pre-packed scones

Does the strong flour mitigate it?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Kipling have so many colours and sizes of bags. I met a woman on a cruise who had 90 Kiplings! 

I’m trying to vary my bags more, to get some use out of them. Today I used my favourite Radley bag. The nautical ‘Port of Call’ bag, that I bought on a P&O ship, probably about 10 years ago 

I have the Port of Call bag that I bought on Azura.  My husband hates the fact that they have Radley bags on board because I always have to look at them though I have only ever bought that one on board.  I usually buy mine at Cheshire Oaks outlet where they are a lot cheaper.  I currently have 26 Radleys but I tend to use the same few over and over.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

we went to Nutmegs in Rainham High Street, so it’s probably somewhere that is nearby for you 

Thats strange.  there are hardly any bungalows for sale here so yesterday we changed tactics and started looking at the Agents in Rainham,  Newington, Wigmore etc

I'll look out for Nutmegs next time we go through Rainham

• Like 3

I have the Port of Call bag that I bought on Azura.  My husband hates the fact that they have Radley bags on board because I always have to look at them though I have only ever bought that one on board.  I usually buy mine at Cheshire Oaks outlet where they are a lot cheaper.  I currently have 26 Radleys but I tend to use the same few over and over.

26 Radley bags!That puts my 5 to shame [emoji23] I bought 2 of mine from the outlet shop at the O2 arena, Greenwich and the others from the Radley website in the sale. My husband despairs of my love of handbags but they all serve different purpose.
I didn’t know they have Radley shops on the P&so ships, that’s very good news [emoji16]

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnnieC said:

We shall see - mine are like bricks, regardless of recipe.😱

Is it the recipe in which he uses strong bread flour?

1 hour ago, Eddie99 said:

I’ve googled it and found that one

5 tsps of baking powder! 😳

Don’t you taste that?  That baking powder taste is the reason I generally dislike “manufactured”, pre-packed scones

Does the strong flour mitigate it?

Heavens no. That will produce curling stone

225g  S R flour

30g caster sugar

30g butter or marg

150ml milk

pinch of salt

oven temp 220c or gas 7

I put everything in my mixer except the milk and briefly blitz it to fine crumbs. Add all the milk and mix to sticky dough ball. Tip out onto a heavily floured surface and with well floured hands form it into a ball. Pat it out into a 2cm or 3/4in thick round and cut out scones using a 5cm or 2in cutter. Make sure not to twist only press the cutter or the scones won't rise evenly. Place on a greased baking sheet and brush with a little milk or beaten egg. Bake for 12 to 15mins. Gorgeous served just warm, either jam or cream first. 🙂 Happy baking.

Avril

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Very many thanks, Avril. Have got a copy of that now, so will test it out on next lot of unsuspecting guests.🤣

I'd do a practice run first because the stickiness of the dough surprised me, and they're not very big. You might need to double up or make the scones larger.It says seves 4 but it's best to make sure.

Avril

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I'd do a practice run first because the stickiness of the dough surprised me, and they're not very big. You might need to double up or make the scones larger.It says seves 4 but it's best to make sure.

Avril

Good idea, but would eat the lot and have already put on half a stone during lockdown🤐. My next guests can be the guinea pigs (and that's a daughter and her husband who are well used to my unpredictable baking).😂

• Like 1

Just now, AnnieC said:

Good idea, but would eat the lot and have already put on half a stone during lockdown🤐. My next guests can be the guinea pigs (and that's a daughter and her husband who are well used to my unpredictable baking).😂

Should be enough for the three of you. They'll be in for a pleasant surprise then🙂

Avril

4 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Should be enough for the three of you. They'll be in for a pleasant surprise then🙂

Avril

We shall see - I have great faith in your/James Martin's recipe and not a lot in my baking skills. I shall report back in about 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

26 Radley bags!That puts my 5 to shame emoji23.png I bought 2 of mine from the outlet shop at the O2 arena, Greenwich and the others from the Radley website in the sale. My husband despairs of my love of handbags but they all serve different purpose.
I didn’t know they have Radley shops on the P&so ships, that’s very good news emoji16.png

They don't have Radley shops, they sell a limited range of Radley bags and purses in the gift shops.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

They don't have Radley shops, they sell a limited range of Radley bags and purses in the gift shops.

They're not the bargain they used to be though with the new shops they have on board now. My last Radley purchase on board was a purse in 2010 for the paltry sum of £48. It's still going strong and believe me it gets plenty of use 😉I don't think I'll find a bargain like that again.

Avril

• Like 2