NCL Changed Pre-Final Payment Cancellation Beware

goldie099

43 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

I love how everyone just jumps on the "blame NCL" bandwagon without even a small review of the facts. 

NCL's final payment has been either at 90 days prior or 120 days prior. One of those two....nothing else.

The OP's cruise is set for July 19th. 

If final payment is at 120 days, then it would be due on March 21st.

If final payment is at 90 days, then it would be due on April 20th.

Either March 21st or April 20th.

Yet the OP is stating that Final Payment is April 6th (coincidentally, exact 30 days after they made the booking) which is 104 days before sailing. 

Say what you will, but NCL has NEVER had a final payment due date 104 days before a sailing.

Something is missing from this story. There has to be an explanation for the odd final payment date. I'd be demanding that the TA provide an explanation for that...something other than pushing the blame off on some anonymous person at NCL. How did they come up with a 104 days before sailing final payment date when that timeframe has NEVER been in effect???

Travel Agencies push up the due date by 14 days as an internal policy, to ensure customers make them on time with a little wiggle room. 

Edited by BoundForSea

2 minutes ago, SeaShark said:

Not really...the "mystery" is why the TA is suddenly trying to change the terms of the agreement when they should be honoring their contract with the OP. If the TA made a mistake in calculating the final payment date, then they are the ones who should be stuck with dealing with the consequences of their error....not the OP.

NCL changed their terms, NOT the TA! The TA was also told of it AFTER NCL made their change. If the fault actually lies with the TA, that's no issue, in Ontario we have a governing body that handles travel industry concerns and I'll gladly take this up with them if needed.

1 minute ago, goldie099 said:

NCL changed their terms, NOT the TA! The TA was also told of it AFTER NCL made their change. If the fault actually lies with the TA, that's no issue, in Ontario we have a governing body that handles travel industry concerns and I'll gladly take this up with them if needed.

You still aren't looking at this correctly...what NCL did DOES NOT MATTER. DOES NOT MATTER. The agreement here is a contract between the OP (you) and YOUR TA. Your TA is OBLIGATED to honor that contract without regard to what NCL does. 

Think about it...when NCL's final payment is 90 days out, your TA says it is 104 days out (90 + an additional 14). They just changed the final payment date to something other than what NCL says it is. How can they do that? Simple...they can do it because the agreement between the TA and YOU has a 104 day prior final payment date...NCL's policy has NOTHING to do with it.  

The TA has to honor their contract with you...they can't change it by claiming NCL changed NCL's policy...NCL is not a party to the contract...this is between YOU and YOUR TA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SeaShark said:

You still aren't looking at this correctly...what NCL did DOES NOT MATTER. DOES NOT MATTER. The agreement here is a contract between the OP (you) and YOUR TA. Your TA is OBLIGATED to honor that contract without regard to what NCL does. 

Think about it...when NCL's final payment is 90 days out, your TA says it is 104 days out (90 + an additional 14). They just changed the final payment date to something other than what NCL says it is. How can they do that? Simple...they can do it because the agreement between the TA and YOU has a 104 day prior final payment date...NCL's policy has NOTHING to do with it.  

The TA has to honor their contract with you...they can't change it by claiming NCL changed NCL's policy...NCL is not a party to the contract...this is between YOU and YOUR TA.

So NCL can do whatever they want, get off without any blame? Because that seems to be what you're saying. Yes, my terms with the TA were for an April 6 final payment (before the "actual" original final payment date with NCL). So you're saying the TA should honour that despite the fact that NCL stated if I don't pay in full I lose the deposit entirely?

4 minutes ago, goldie099 said:

So NCL can do whatever they want, get off without any blame? Because that seems to be what you're saying. Yes, my terms with the TA were for an April 6 final payment (before the "actual" original final payment date with NCL). So you're saying the TA should honour that despite the fact that NCL stated if I don't pay in full I lose the deposit entirely?

Yes...exactly. The TA has to honor their contract with you and get you onboard for the agreed upon price paid by the agreed upon dates. If NCL changes their policy then that is something between NCL and the TA that has no bearing on your agreement with the TA. You legally should never lose your deposit for fulling the terms of your written contract...the TA has no legal right or authority to change the agreement mid-stream.

If NCL changed the final payment date, (and they can only do that to NEW bookings, not to existing bookings) then the TA either has to make NCL wait until the 90 day date OR the TA has to pay NCL now and then wait until April 6th to collect the money from you. 

What the TA can't do is to change the contract with you to attempt to make you pay earlier. That is an underhanded move by your TA...and that is where your ire should be directed...not toward NCL. I don't get the hair-trigger blaming of NCL when it is your TA who is trying to change your agreement.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, goldie099 said:

Don't bother arguing.  He/She doesn't get it. Bottom line is yes, NCL changed the date and you now have 30 days less for final payment then you thought and there is nothing you (and me) can do about it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disneylover89 said:

Don't bother arguing.  He/She doesn't get it. Bottom line is yes, NCL changed the date and you now have 30 days less for final payment then you thought and there is nothing you (and me) can do about it

No...you are the one who "doesn't get it". 

A) The final payment date is set between the TA and the Guest. Once the contract is made it cannot be arbitrarily changed..especially by a third party.

B) NCL can change their Final Payment Date...but that would only apply to new bookings...never to existing bookings.

C) The only final payment date the OP has to worry about is the one agreed upon with their TA. Any deadlines on the cruiseline side are strictly between the TA and the cruiseline.

Just like if I agree to book a cruise for a fare of $1,200 per person then NCL increases the fare...I don't have to pay the higher fare, they have to honor the fare on my agreed-upon contract.