Cancel insurance after cruise cancelled

My cruise was cancelled last night by RCL. I contacted my travel insurance carrier today. I was told I could get a refund as I would not be making any claims on the policy.  I have to submit a request for the refund.   Check and see if you can get your insurance refunded if your cruise has been cancelled.  I also had the option to transfer the policy to another trip or leave it open for a future trip.  Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I am glad that at least some carriers are doing this. We had to reschedule our flight to Germany that was originally scheduled in April. We purchased our plan through www.insuremytrip.com and submitted the paperwork through them requesting that the carrier transfer the coverage to the new dates.

You guys are lucky. My trip to London was cancelled and I tried to extend my coverage with AIG for my trip. Agent stated that I was not covered for any cancellations, delays or interruptions.  And they would only extend the coverage for the next trip if the trip was prior to 30 April. My trip was for 2 May, two days past the limit. Any ideas out there? Would a call to my credit card company work? Or am I out $238?

1 hour ago, Daytonasailor said:

You guys are lucky. My trip to London was cancelled and I tried to extend my coverage with AIG for my trip. Agent stated that I was not covered for any cancellations, delays or interruptions.  And they would only extend the coverage for the next trip if the trip was prior to 30 April. My trip was for 2 May, two days past the limit. Any ideas out there? Would a call to my credit card company work? Or am I out $238?

Sounds like you are out of luck. I'm not a fan of calling the credit card company just because the vendor is sticking to their terms and conditions. If our carrier doesn't extend the coverage to our October trip we're out $120 and likely will not be able to purchase a policy now with a pre-existing condition waiver unless we pay extra.

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Sounds like you are out of luck. I'm not a fan of calling the credit card company just because the vendor is sticking to their terms and conditions. If our carrier doesn't extend the coverage to our October trip we're out $120 and likely will not be able to purchase a policy now with a pre-existing condition waiver unless we pay extra.

In all my previous trips, cruises I never got insurance as I was only about an hour from PC. This was an overseas expensive trip so I opted for insurance. As they say “how did that work out for you”?

35 minutes ago, Daytonasailor said:

In all my previous trips, cruises I never got insurance as I was only about an hour from PC. This was an overseas expensive trip so I opted for insurance. As they say “how did that work out for you”?

Travel insurance covers delays and cancellations getting to the departure port, but the main reason I and many other people buy travel insurance is for the medical coverage outside the country. Emergency medical treatment and/or specialty transportation home is very expensive. It doesn't matter if you live next to the cruise port in Miami, or in North Dakota. 

• Like 1