Royal's Excursion Pricing Games...

About half of our 30+ cruises are out of Galveston for us to go scuba diving at all ports, esp Cozumel.

Been diving in Cozumel for 30+ years from air+dive resorts, to now off cruise ships.  So I'm very familiar with most of the dive shops.

Our last 3 cruises on Royal, their 2 tank boat dive excursion starts around $125 then always a 10% off, then 20%, then 25% off, so usually book at $95

Whereas, our last 2 on Carnival, the same 2 tank boat dive excursion start at $95 & stays there.

Both use the same type 2 large reputable dive shops, with both have exact same pricing between when we dived with them on our own.

So just wondering why Royal plays such games with excursion pricing, besides just trying to maximize their profits.

Similar to that I like to shop at retail store that always has low prices, I go pick out item, pay & go.

Whereas, my wife likes to go to the other retail store where she likes % off "savings" a higher price, to end up at almost the same price...

Actually what I've seen Royal Excursion prices have doubled and more last 7yrs. Cruise same 8 islands every yr same months since 2012. Why price percent games, most companies do it. Didnt work they'd try something else

Royal's excursion prices tend to be pretty high anyway.  But they run sales pretty often and you can always cancel and rebook.  Booking through the cruise line always has a premium since they get a cut.  Plus the privilege of picking up guests at the cruise pier instead of another pier increases the tour cost.

We were offered 30% off (seemed like everything) beforehand on my now cancelled cruise. I sure was not taking this virus seriously enough as I printed off my boarding pass and parking confirmation for my april 26th cruise. I was that sure I was going.

But they had some excellent deals before they cancelled us.

Edited by firefly333

13 hours ago, LeesSummitCruiser1 said:

We always book our dives through shore providers.  After our first couple of cruises we stopped even looking at shore trips through royal.  We use Dressel divers where available (Cozumel).  Coconut Tree Divers in Roatan. Belize Diving service in Belize City.

Yes, we've mostly booked local dive ops on our own years ago, when all 4 of us dived.

Now that the kids are grown & don't cruise with us any more, & wife prefers to shop rather than dive, just me diving now.  So easier to go with cruise line.  I don't mind a little higher premium, but just hates the silly games RCL plays...