Best time to cruise from US west coast to Hawaii?

OC PAT

We are considering a future cruise from California to Hawaii and the south Pacific, 20 plus days. When is the best time to take this type of cruise given sea conditions, weather and costs?  I appreciate your input.

For costs, you can easily look at the cruise lines and compare fares.

The longer cruises are not done as often, so a "best" time may not coincide with the schedule. But these cruises are usually only done between October and April. 

Thank you Bruise cruiser.  So I assume October and April would be the shoulder and cost a little less, correct?  I am thinking April would be the warmest but maybe more rainy.  I did notice that they were only going out in that time frame and appreciate you confirming that.  It looks like Princess and Holland America are the lines doing this cruises, correct?  Do you have a preference?

23 hours ago, OC PAT said:

Thank you Bruise cruiser.  So I assume October and April would be the shoulder and cost a little less, correct?  I am thinking April would be the warmest but maybe more rainy.  I did notice that they were only going out in that time frame and appreciate you confirming that.  It looks like Princess and Holland America are the lines doing this cruises, correct?  Do you have a preference?

We prefer Holland, and have sailed both several times.

The area you mention is vast, so one blanket statement about the weather is challenging. The closer you get to the equator, generally the less the weather changes during the year, and the warmer the average weather will be. October and April can be pretty similar on the California coast, and I would consider those the best weather times there, although this year we are having a pretty wet and cooler March/April. 

Again, as I don't have all the fares memorized,  its pretty easy to look at the cruise lines websites and compare fares at the possible times that interest you.

Thank you again, cruise Bruce. I have been looking at the websites but they are not very far reaching.  I'm looking at 2021 or 2022.  So I am researching to figure out what to look for deal wise and yet not lacking in this special cruise.  We have cruised over 20 times, mostly RC but have done Princess and Holland America.  I'm leaning toward a suite or mini-suite since this cruise will be at least 20 some days.  I want to do Hawaii and the south pacific isles.  I am open to time of the year and not committed to any specific isle. Hubby doesn't fly more than 5 hrs. so the only way to get to Europe and the south pacific is by cruise and it must to rt from California or Vancouver  We live on the Atlantic so we will have a nice plane ride to California..   What prices I could dig out it appears both cruise lines are in the same ball park.  Your insight is so appreciative.

It's a little early for most 2022 schedules, and Covid might delay them a little.

"Mini-suite" invites some vagueness depending on the HAL ship involved. The smaller, older ships only have mini-suites in name, they are really just balcony cabins, but the older ships have limited balcony cabins. The mid age range ships have the SS category, which is probably what you are seeking.

• 2 weeks later...

We've done both HAL and Princess and preferred Princess overall. We've also sailed late Nov-early Dec and in mid Feb and mid March. All three sailing times were fine. It was cooler the first day or so out and back, but once we got south enough, it was fine. We left from San Diego once and LA twice. We will go again as soon as we can.

Thank you,Scottca.  Since you've hit all the sailing months did you find one month less expensive than another?  I looking at the costs of the cruise and the costs of excursions on the islands.

Thanks CruiserBruce.  That makes things easier to look at.  Now let's get rid of the virus so we all can return to a cruising life!

Hey look at that my 1000 posts on cruise critic! A mere drop in the bucket for you but I am still impressed!

Edited by OC PAT
add a note

We never do excursions when we are there since we've spent so much in HI already including living there at one point.

As to costs, I can't say I noticed a huge difference other than maybe holiday times (Thanksgiving & Christmas) might have been a little more expensive.