Azura ‘smell’ and cabin position

P&O SUE

I have had my Azura cruise for this October booked for nearly two years. I have heard the complaints about the sewage smell on the ship.

Last time we were on the ship was 2016 and there was a slight smell near the art gallery (P deck) but obviously didn’t affect us that much. I do remember thinking I wouldn’t have wanted a cabin near there.

I wasn’t worried for my October cruise as the refit was planned for April and I hoped it would be sorted as the smell seems to have moved to further around the ship now.

Obviously this re fit is not happening now. Any thoughts? Do we think it will still go in for a refit as soon as this situation calms down? We’re booked in a forward cabin on B deck - any smell up that high?

I know it’s possible this cruise won’t sail at all but if it does be just my luck it’s ruined due to the awful smell! I just don’t want to cancel at the moment as my insurance still covers me for the virus but if I move it it won’t !

So much to consider at the moment..! 

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

I have had my Azura cruise for this October booked for nearly two years. I have heard the complaints about the sewage smell on the ship.

Last time we were on the ship was 2016 and there was a slight smell near the art gallery (P deck) but obviously didn’t affect us that much. I do remember thinking I wouldn’t have wanted a cabin near there.

I wasn’t worried for my October cruise as the refit was planned for April and I hoped it would be sorted as the smell seems to have moved to further around the ship now.

Obviously this re fit is not happening now. Any thoughts? Do we think it will still go in for a refit as soon as this situation calms down? We’re booked in a forward cabin on B deck - any smell up that high?

I know it’s possible this cruise won’t sail at all but if it does be just my luck it’s ruined due to the awful smell! I just don’t want to cancel at the moment as my insurance still covers me for the virus but if I move it it won’t !

So much to consider at the moment..! 

We have 2 cruises booked on Azura in 2021, hope they fit a refit in before then as it will be long overdue

21 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

We have 2 cruises booked on Azura in 2021, hope they fit a refit in before then as it will be long overdue

She should be in refit now, but events have taken over.  Haven't seen anything regarding when it's been re-scheduled for.

2 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

She should be in refit now, but events have taken over.  Haven't seen anything regarding when it's been re-scheduled for.

No I would hope they’d put her in for, say, September but I suppose the ship yard may have other ships booked in then.

Some people have suggested P&O may send a couple of ships out at a time so you would like to think Azura will have her re fit before they send her out again.

• Like 1

Sue,

we were onboard last May, the smell to me seemed to be worse in Malibar at that time and the surrounding outside deck. 

We were on deck D towards the very rear of the ship, can’t say it was noticeable from our balcony.

hth

• Like 1

We were on Azura in May last year and the smell was horrendous. We couldn't smell anything from our balcony, but there were several areas around the ship where it was pretty awful. This included any times that we disembarked at various ports. I wasn't sure if it was just me having a very good sense of smell, but after we got home, I started reading lots of reports about the bad smell on that ship. Not sure that I would book another cruise on Azura until I was sure that the problem was fixed.

• Like 1

We were on Azura last April and had a wonderful time. Can't remember a smell and our cabin (right at the aft) was amazing. Have already booked for April 2021 and pray that we can revisit her. We would be happy with or without a refurb

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 5:53 PM, glittergal1 said:

OMG we have just booked Azura May 2021 in place of our cancelled May 2020 cruise 

we decided on 2 weeks instead of 1 week on this time

reading about these smells im devastated to realise weve booked such a ***** ship  

I’ve  been on Azura three times and never had a problem and had fantastic cruises each time. I just had heard reports recently about the smell but knew a refit was planned for about now. That’s why I was asking - it’s not a ***** ship!

42 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

We were on Azura last April and had a wonderful time. Can't remember a smell and our cabin (right at the aft) was amazing. Have already booked for April 2021 and pray that we can revisit her. We would be happy with or without a refurb

I would normally agree with your last sentence but if there was a strong sewage smell (and especially in our cabin) it would spoil my cruise!

Just now, P&O SUE said:

I would normally agree with your last sentence but if there was a strong sewage smell (and especially in our cabin) it would spoil my cruise!

Sorry, was thinking of the cabin we had last time. Can only go on our experience this time last year when the cruise was faultless. Seems a long time ago now though. We have booked a similar cabin for next April (corner aft but on the other side) so I suppose a terrible smell would make a difference!

At the moment though, I doubt we will be going :-(

On 4/11/2020 at 5:54 PM, molecrochip said:

Azure’s refurb likely you happen ASAP once shipyards reopen. All the materials are there ready.

I’m thinking perhaps my cruise will be cancelled not directly due to covid but because it goes for the re-fit!

Just now, Presto2 said:

Sorry, was thinking of the cabin we had last time. Can only go on our experience this time last year when the cruise was faultless. Seems a long time ago now though. We have booked a similar cabin for next April (corner aft but on the other side) so I suppose a terrible smell would make a difference!

At the moment though, I doubt we will be going 😞

Not even in April? I’m thinking with every day that passes my October one won’t happen which is very sad as it’s my husband’s 60th and it’s been booked for nearly two years!

1 minute ago, P&O SUE said:

Not even in April? I’m thinking with every day that passes my October one won’t happen which is very sad as it’s my husband’s 60th and it’s been booked for nearly two years!

Am not convinced - ironically it is hubby's 60th birthday cruise :-)

I suppose we will have to see what happens. With cruising it isn't just the ship and departure point it is if the ports of call are going to be open.

This time last year we were planning our 25th anniversary cruise and we had been planning it for about 2 years. I can't imagine how upsetting it is for people when they think that their special cruise will not happen.

My brother was due to go on to Oceana this Thursday for a 2 week cruise for their 30th. I think I'll send them a 'pick me up' gift as they had been planning it for so long

Hoping that cruises start to go at the end of the year, but who knows at the minute

(Sorry to be a glass half empty person x)

• Like 1

After asking P&O when Azura's refit would now take place, this is their reply.

"Hi,

We are continuing to monitor the situation with Covid 19 and the impact that this is having on our sailings. 

Once we have a clearer idea of when sailings can potentially resume then we will know more about Azura's refit."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

After asking P&O when Azura's refit would now take place, this is their reply.

"Hi,

We are continuing to monitor the situation with Covid 19 and the impact that this is having on our sailings. 

Once we have a clearer idea of when sailings can potentially resume then we will know more about Azura's refit."

Clear as mud. In effect, they don't know either. If they are going to do a refit why not do it now while she is sitting doing nothing?

23 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Clear as mud. In effect, they don't know either. If they are going to do a refit why not do it now while she is sitting doing nothing?

What and spend our refund money😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The ship yard is shut due to Coronavirus restrictions.

This may sound completely stupid of me, but I never even thought of that. I sometimes think that being locked away makes it all seem not too real ….

3 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The ship yard is shut due to Coronavirus restrictions.

That is undoubtedly true, however you would think that since most of the supplies for the refit should be in place that they would be planning for it to happen immediately the shipyard gets back to work, and if so it need not be a secret.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That is undoubtedly true, however you would think that since most of the supplies for the refit should be in place that they would be planning for it to happen immediately the shipyard gets back to work, and if so it need not be a secret.

Maybe its not a secret - maybe it is that no-one, including the shipyard, know at the moment.  They will undoubtedly have other projects on the go and maybe under the circumstances the shipyard will need to renegotiate with all customers in coming up with a new timetable for their works.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Britboys said:

Maybe its not a secret - maybe it is that no-one, including the shipyard, know at the moment.  They will undoubtedly have other projects on the go and maybe under the circumstances the shipyard will need to renegotiate with all customers in coming up with a new timetable for their works.

Britboys is 100% correct although likely most of Acura’s material were already at the shipyard whereas most deliveries for May/June projects probably aren’t yet delivered.

• Like 1

I did wonder whether as Spain is now starting to gradually return to work, could Azura's refit be shoehorned in before sailing potentially resumes in mid May, or before the next date that cruises are put back to.

But there's also the question of the contractors they take from the UK to the dockyard.  I'm assuming that as they clearly cannot work from home, then they can go to work, but assumptions don't mean that is this case in this situation.  Would Spain (or any other dockyard) want UK contractors there?

I would have thought the last thing PandO want to do is cancel another cruise in order to schedule a refit when the ship is not in passenger use for at least another four weeks.

Edited by Son of Anarchy