Are "Segment" Guests Second-Class Citizens?

jimdee3636

Well it just so happened that my wife and I did a segment of Queen Victoria's 2019 World Cruise, from Singapore to cape Town. I gave a full review on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/05/06/queen-victoria-singapore-to-cape-town/

We certainly didn't notice any differences in attitudes from fellow passengers and indeed only encountered one couple and two single ladies who happened to be sat at tables near us in the Princess Grill.

And the only noticeable difference actually came from Cunard who lumped all guests who joined at Singapore into one 'Welcome' Cocktail party as opposed to the usual segregated ones. 

• 3 months later...

I am wondering how anyone would identify shorter segment guests.  You could try to enter the small roped off section which says "Whole voyage guests only" and be thrown out.  At dinner it is obvious to the others on your table on the first day you appear but how long have they been there?  I did a short world cruise  segment on Queen Elizabeth, New York to Southampton,  and the people on my table varied from a couple of weeks to a few months. Nobody seemed bothered, a diverse group of people; young London couple (east), an older US couple and a middle aged couple who were French Canadians. Interestingly French Canadian students used to staff the French Line, SS France during the holidays and the gentleman on our table said he was doing a waiter job the year we sailed on her.

Regards John

We are doing the whole trip and while everyone will have their own opinion I would say that whether you are doing all 108 nights or only part makes absolutely no difference. When you think about it there are a lot of segments of this trip that overlap, some may be doing larger segments and again see new faces arrive part way through their holiday. To be honest I think new faces are important it brings new conversations and interest to all. Once the cruise lines get back to continual cruising year round without a days break then all anyone is doing is a segment of the overall itinerary anyway. So segment or otherwise there is no difference, a new conversation, a new face is always important.

I’ve done multiple segments of world cruises and never noticed any issues - except once, when I did a segment on the final world cruise of the old SS Rotterdam. I sat near a woman in the Smoking Room and said hello, and she answered “I’m sorry, but I don’t speak to segmenters.” Some would have been offended. I was delighted, knowing I’d dine out on that story for decades. As I have. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Patria21 said:

I’ve done multiple segments of world cruises and never noticed any issues - except once, when I did a segment on the final world cruise of the old SS Rotterdam. I sat near a woman in the Smoking Room and said hello, and she answered “I’m sorry, but I don’t speak to segmenters.” Some would have been offended. I was delighted, knowing I’d dine out on that story for decades. As I have. 

That is hilarious! 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:10 PM, Patria21 said:

"I'm sorry, I don't don't speak to segmenters!".  "You just did, madam, I heard you" is what I should have said.

Regards John