Question on Excursion in Seward

Azfunseeker

We are looking at doing a Kenai Fjords excursion in Seward at the end of our July Alaska cruise. I'm considering 2 different options and am wondering if anyone has experienced them to help me compare. The first is a 5 hour Kenai Fjords tour which goes by Bear Glacier and it looks like it is on a regular boat. It includes a Salmon and Prime Rib buffet. The second one is a 6 hour cruise on a high speed catamaran that goes to Holgate Glacier. It also includes the buffet lunch. Both include motorcoach transportation to the airport as well.  The first one does have an option that doesn't include airport transport and we could either take the bus or the train. Wondering if anyone has done both bus and train in the past and have wisdom on how to decide which to use (other than cost).

2 very different tours.    Are these being booked as a combo with the transportation?    

The first tour-  is Kenai Fjords tour and Fox Island.    Bear in mind,  your time-  on the boat and the wildlife viewing,  is very lacking.    Your time is being spent eating.   🙂  

Your other tour -   without further details,  is either operated by Kenai Fjords tour or Major Marine.    Big difference is the distance-  which is what Kenai Fjords is all about if you want to take advantage of the scenery and wildlife.         There is also no comparison with the viewing of Holgate vs Bear.   

I suggest you take a look at the route maps and tour details.  that is available online direct through the vendor website.      You need to determine what YOU want out of your trip????     

Last summer I did the 6 hour tour with Major Marine to Holgate Glacier. Plus: saw lots of sealife (transient Orcas, Finn Whale, stellar sea lions, harbor seals, otters, puffins, etc) and the Glacier was amazing. The lunch was nice. Cons: there is a stretch where it is very rocky and 2 of the 6 of us were motion sick and missed some of the trip. Still,. it was really nice. I believe the 5 hour (with Major Marine at least) is more protected. We booked over Black Friday weekend and got a GREAT price. We had a rental car, so no bus or train experience.

• 1 month later...