Theme Nights?

WannabeaTraveler

Not many people dress up for theme nights. We only saw them in the evening. You can do it and keep in simple. For western night, we wore western shirts and jeans (yes, even to the dining room). For caribbean night DH wore a flowered shirt and I wore capries with bright fish on them and a bought a flowered lei at the party store for $1.49. It easily fit into my dress purse in the suitcase. We didn't do the 50's night, but had stuff with us, just decided not to dress that night. We did see a few poodle skirts.

I've been on Carnival and Princess and when the theme nights are being referred to, it is the menu at dinner. Italian night, for example, is when mostly Italian-base meals are served and the waitstaff wears outfits in the same color scheme as the Italian flag. The passengers don't have to dress a special way.

The only theme night that concerned the passengers on any of the cruises I've been on is "Island Night," on my last cruise to Hawaii. Most people seemed to wear one of their aloha outfits they just purchased. I brought with us some leis (plastic) to wear on our first day and on Island Night.

On Sapphire Princess last summer they had a Western night, which consisted mainly of the cruise staff wearing western gear in Club Fusion to teach line dancing after dinner. I somehow recall being made aware of this before we left (possibly the travel agent, who went on the cruise with our group of 40) but (no offense to you Texans out there, even if you did beat my Trojans) there was no way our luggage had room for hats and boots. I did not see a single person in western gear at the dining room that evening.

When we took our first cruises, in the late '80s and early '90s, the ships had more theme nights and passengers did dress up. The ones I remember were a '50s night, Western night, and costume contests. We brought along costumes on one cruise (NCL) and watched on some Royal Caribbean cruises.

Nights where you dress up in some sort of costume don't really exist anymore. Too many restrictions for packing and airlines, so people just don't do themes on cruises. Now, theme nights refer to the menu in the main dining room. There's French night, Italian night, Island night and so on, where the menu items will reflect those regions.

On Summit in December 05 we had the White Night Ball in Revelations Lounge where you were requested to wear a mask and white clothing. Staff members & band dressed in white and many passengers did also. Masks were sold in shop onboard and they had a mask making class prior to the ball. Or they would paint your face with white prior to going in.

Also a 50's night where some staff members were there dressed in 50's skirts and jeans and t-shirts. Passengers were invited to dress for this also and some did.

Had a fruit themed midnight buffet on the pool deck with band playing. Many dressed in flowered shirts. Well, that's all I'm saying about that.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish that the cruise lines had more theme nights! We would love to cruise on a ship with a Western or 50's theme night! Does anyone know of any lines that still have these theme nights? I know that on the bigger Carnival ships we had alot of fun with the Carnival Colors nights, especially the night with the team contest conga lines and the deck party with Mexican Buffet! Most of the people did wear their team color, either red, white or blue. We had a great time on the red team and we won! There were many hundreds of people dressed and in each of the conga lines contest for their team color. I think people enjoy extra fun and different things on a cruise. It is great to dress up on a cruise, even if you look and act crazy you probably won't see the same people after the cruise so you won't be embarrassed! We did see some people (passengers) dressed in Mexican clothes at the Mexican Buffet. Anyone know how to get a cruise to have a theme night?

Pam

Archived