Another FCC question.......sorry.

bee-ess

We have a cruise booked on Iona on July 4th that I think will almost certainly be cancelled. We have spent approx 2k on this cruise. which if it is cancelled by P&O will create a FCC of approx 2.5K which we are thinking of using to book a Cariibean Cruise in spring 2022 as we should be clear of CV by then.

From reading the various threads on FCC I know there is some doubt about protection of an FCC by ABTAif it still held by P&O and they fold, but if the FCC is used ASAP to book this other cruise, am I right in thinking the the whole 2.5K will be covered by ABTA as it has been used on a new booking.

Obviously I don't want to lose this money if P&O fold. I know this has been covered before but I don;t really want to trawl back through all the threads.

2 minutes ago, bee-ess said:

We have a cruise booked on Iona on July 4th that I think will almost certainly be cancelled. We have spent approx 2k on this cruise. which if it is cancelled by P&O will create a FCC of approx 2.5K which we are thinking of using to book a Cariibean Cruise in spring 2022 as we should be clear of CV by then.

From reading the various threads on FCC I know there is some doubt about protection of an FCC by ABTAif it still held by P&O and they fold, but if the FCC is used ASAP to book this other cruise, am I right in thinking the the whole 2.5K will be covered by ABTA as it has been used on a new booking.

Obviously I don't want to lose this money if P&O fold. I know this has been covered before but I don;t really want to trawl back through all the threads.

That's the assumption Bee-ess, but no one knows for certain, and this crisis could well bankrupt ABTA.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bee-ess said:

am I right in thinking the the whole 2.5K will be covered by ABTA as it has been used on a new booking.

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

That's the assumption Bee-ess, but no one knows for certain, and this crisis could well bankrupt ABTA

Apart from the ABTA issue, you also have to consider the need for travel insurance for that booking as it is so far ahead and who knows what might prevent you from taking it.

• Like 2

Just now, Manx buoy said:

It’s only the original amount paid that will be refunded not the added on 10 or 25%

Off the record so to speak, had a lovely time on Aurora with a Manx Buoy kept meeting up at Anderson's.

Ex Tour guide and coach driver?

Just asking?

We are booked on the Iona the week before you. These cruises will probably be cancelled at the end of the month. We are requesting a cash refund. FCC is too risky. We do have two other cruises booked with deposits amounting to £1600 and we may have to take FCC but it will be a last resort.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bee-ess said:

I would personally advise anybody in your situation to take a cash refund as there is zero risk and current cruise prices are inflated (IMO deliberately whilst people are accepting and then using what they think is a good deal of 125% FCC).

However, to answer your questions, FCC is not protected by ABTA but once converted to a booking the entire value of the booking is. So it’s a risk whilst FCC but not when used. 

Obviously P&O could fold (unlikely I think, but a risk) in which case FCC is lost. If ABTA folds the UK Government is guarantor, so you would get your money back regardless if you have made a booking, but I would still advise taking a cash refund and then booking a new cruise at a later date when prices have lowered (e.g. at launch), using a credit card so that you have two levels of protection. 

• Like 3

On 4/21/2020 at 4:01 PM, Selbourne said:

I would personally advise anybody in your situation to take a cash refund as there is zero risk and current cruise prices are inflated (IMO deliberately whilst people are accepting and then using what they think is a good deal of 125% FCC).

However, to answer your questions, FCC is not protected by ABTA but once converted to a booking the entire value of the booking is. So it’s a risk whilst FCC but not when used. 

Obviously P&O could fold (unlikely I think, but a risk) in which case FCC is lost. If ABTA folds the UK Government is guarantor, so you would get your money back regardless if you have made a booking, but I would still advise taking a cash refund and then booking a new cruise at a later date when prices have lowered (e.g. at launch), using a credit card so that you have two levels of protection. 

Further to my post on Tuesday (above), P&O has now gained approval for FCC to be covered by ABTA, as confirmed by revised T’s and C’s issued yesterday, which is very good news for those who have taken it. Personally, I would still go for the cash refund option but, for once, the constantly evolving T’s and C’s have changed in the customers favour.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Further to my post on Tuesday (above), P&O has now gained approval for FCC to be covered by ABTA, as confirmed by revised T’s and C’s issued yesterday, which is very good news for those who have taken it. Personally, I would still go for the cash refund option but, for once, the constantly evolving T’s and C’s have changed in the customers favour.

Our cruise on 30 May was cancelled yesterday and we have requested a cash refund. We might have had second thoughts if we could apply a FCC to an existing booking. To me, that would make a massive difference to people. I actually contemplated cancelling all three cruises we have, putting all the FCC together and re-booking one of the cruises.

56 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

That's a positive... 

I can't keep up... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

That's a positive... 

I can't keep up... 😊

Andy 

Reported elsewhere that only select prices are now showing, as a result base prices now look much higher. I wonder if this might be the only option now , especially if ships are now going to operate at reduced passenger levels.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Reported elsewhere that only select prices are now showing, as a result base prices now look much higher. I wonder if this might be the only option now , especially if ships are now going to operate at reduced passenger levels.

Still showing early saver and select prices a monent ago, for an Arcadia cruise in 2022.