Skagway Train in 2020

brittmama

21 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Doing AK on the ferries is a lot of fun.  Shame that the state is letting all the ships get in such bad shape.  Wonder what the towns that depend upon the ferries will do w/o them.

DON

Smaller charter boats run a few people & supplies, but no vehicles of course.  Planes fly in supplies - but costs more.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:06 PM, Cruiserkenn said:

Thanks, all, for the good thoughts about traveling to Skagway.  My Alaska cruise from Vancouver was canceled, but I am still interested.  I have some pricey RT plane tix to Vancouver.

We've spent some pre- and post-cruise days in Vancouver.  There are lots to see and do right in town and over in Victoria which is on Vancouver Island (can't remember if there's a bridge to the island and/or a ferry).

Edited by BarbinMich

2 hours ago, BarbinMich said:

We've spent some pre- and post-cruise days in Vancouver.  There are lots to see and do right in town and over in Victoria which is on Vancouver Island (can't remember if there's a bridge to the island and/or a ferry).

Yes thanks for the encouragement.  I am definitely thinking of spending some time in Vancouver, Victoria, and BC.🌝🙂

On 4/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, brittmama said:

I know PCL cancelled all of there Land and Cruise tours that includes the buses and trains for the rest of the season.  However what about the train in Skagway? Will the train be running or is that closed down as well?  Thank you!!

If you get to take the train, I strongly suggest you pay the extra bucks and do the luxury excursion.  Very comfortable swiveling armchairs instead of wooden benches.  Complimentary sandwiches and snacks.  Alcoholic drinks included. Best of all, a dedicated tour guide.  In the other cars, the tour guided is shared by all the cars.  About twice the price but more than worth it.  Of course, it might be prohibitive if you have several children along.

8 hours ago, Cruiserkenn said:

Yes thanks for the encouragement.  I am definitely thinking of spending some time in Vancouver, Victoria, and BC.🌝🙂

You have to take the ferry or fly to Victoria. Well worth the trip and Victoria is one of the nicest places I have been too. Just had the feeling to me that it would be a great place to live.

15 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you get to take the train, I strongly suggest you pay the extra bucks and do the luxury excursion.  Very comfortable swiveling armchairs instead of wooden benches.  Complimentary sandwiches and snacks.  Alcoholic drinks included. Best of all, a dedicated tour guide.  In the other cars, the tour guided is shared by all the cars.  About twice the price but more than worth it.  Of course, it might be prohibitive if you have several children along.

There’s also a company that does the private train car one way and a comfortable van the other way which allows you see see a lot of wonderful things you don’t see on the great train ride.