SS/RCCL Finances: Improving, Options, Questions??!!

TLCOhio

Convertible Bond Arbitrage players will at times buy the convert & short the stock.  I think we saw the same stock price reaction to a RCL (I think) convert a while back.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/convertible-bond-arbitrage.asp#:~:text=A convertible bond arbitrage strategy,the stock of the company.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 3:40 PM, RetiredandTravel said:

Convertible Bond Arbitrage players will at times buy the convert & short the stock.  I think we saw the same stock price reaction to a RCL (I think) convert a while back.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/convertible-bond-arbitrage.asp#:~:text=A convertible bond arbitrage strategy,the stock of the company.

Appreciate this above link and helpful follow-up regarding the "insider" plays and options used within the financial world.  

From MSN News and this financial website this afternoon, they had this headline: Why Norwegian Cruise, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean Stocks Dropped Today with these highlights:It looks like cruise ship stocks are cruising for another bruising. An ill-timed insider stock sale at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings, combined with a negative analyst note, torpedoed shares of the U.S.-based cruiser -- and took shares of Carnival and Royal Caribbean  down with it.  Norwegian investors are taking the brunt of the damage.  The story begins at Norwegian Cruise, where CEO Frank Del Rio was just reported to have sold off 4% of his company stock -- 58,072 shares -- in a million-dollar-plus transaction on Tuesday.

Norwegian's CFO has sold off a half-million dollars in NCLH shares, too!!  Is is fair to say/summarize "When the Captain of the ship jumps off", does that signal a lack of confidence in the future?  This reporting also noted that their CFO sold off 29% of his stake in Norwegian. Also a day earlier, this company's general counsel sold $788,000 worth of  his stock (16% of his total holdings).  Do they know something we do not?

Per Credit Suisse, one of their investment banker announced a double downgrade of Norwegian stock from outperform . . . down to "underperform".  This analyst says Norwegian is at risk of not earning as much in 2023 as promised.

Ready to buy cruise ship stocks now?

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/why-norwegian-cruise-carnival-and-royal-caribbean-stocks-dropped-today/ar-AA14ev5R

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Fun, interesting visuals, plus travel details from this early 2016 live/blog. At 53,362 views. Featuring Cape Town, South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

From the Wall Street Journal late this afternoon, below are the charts for the three major cruise companies.  

Does the word "volatile" come to mind?  From the dictionary, that word is defined as "liable to change rapidly and unpredictably, especially for the worse."  When you look at the below WSJ stock charts, does that fit?  Another definition is "rapid or unexpected change."

Personally, I cannot remember such a wild, dramatic week for these cruise stocks.  Am I missing something important or different?   Any predictions for next week or as to what will happen in December and January?

Athens & Greece: Visuals, details from two visits in a city and nearby with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 47,860 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the three major cruise company stocks during the most recent five days of trading.  Remember patterns like this during any "normal" or recent times?:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.png.9ba136cd51d4a9bb528fed9918f12337.png

image.thumb.png.eb065261202232e82afc9db31094eea6.png

image.thumb.png.fd0f951a5bbb95f944910c5d47c7d07e.png

Happy Thanksgiving to those who missed it two days ago.  Here in Central Ohio, it is a big, BIG sporting day with Ohio State University hosting the University of Michigan, number two versus three in the national rankings.  All of the top national TV shows and broadcast are here this morning airing activities live.   Giant college football match-up!!  

From the Wall Street Journal, below are their charts for the three major cruise line corporations during the most-recent five trading days.  Due to Thanksgiving, Black Friday shopping, etc., it was not your normal stock trading week.  On Monday morning, things went downward for the cruise stocks, but then, generally, bounced upward for the remainder of this shortened trading week.  

While Silversea did not seem to be offering any major "Black Friday" or "Cyber Monday" specials, some other cruise lines were pushing some specials to try to boost up their 2023 bookings.  Will Wall Street be looking for any sales updates for how the cruise lines are doing with bookings over these pre-holiday periods?

With Disney bringing back its retired, long-time CEO (after his hand-picked successor seemed to fail), it might bring up the two major cruise lines that saw their top executives retire during the past year.  Will all be OK and satisfactory with these new CEO's running Royal Caribbean and Carnival?  As shown below with the Disney stock chart, Wall Street had been negative and then turned upward after bringing back the retired CEO.  

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Live/blog, June 2017 from Portugal to France along scenic Atlantic Coast on the Silver Spirit.  Now at 32,788 views.  Many pictures, details for history, food, culture, etc.:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the three major cruise company stocks during the most recent five days of trading.  At the bottom, as a "change of pace" is the chart for Disney.  They operate some cruise ship, but Sunday night was their big, BIG shake-up as their old CEO was brought back after his successor pick failed.  Does the stock market move in strange ways?:

image.thumb.png.c1963687a5a0b52b1a157e5e152f2a60.png

image.thumb.png.deb3f0fc861b5cc899f74e3e0a3ed6e0.png

image.thumb.png.2642baf70e7f465ca45d82f43a5f30e3.png

image.thumb.png.a40123aada959b0b5222aae2d6f3c931.png

From the Wall Street Journal late this afternoon, below are their charts for the major cruise lines during the most recent week.  It seems that these stocks had lots of "ups-and-downs" during these past five trading days.  And they seemed to have finished late in the week about where they started on Monday morning.  Many "Zig-Zags", but no major, clear trend of direction.  Agree or disagree?

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the three major cruise company stocks during the most recent five days of trading.  Would "rocky" be a good way to describe the ups-and-downs experienced during this recent period?:

image.thumb.png.0df0d982c28b7b59f83a06587bb06b16.png

image.thumb.png.6ad778898e077c72e8eee9b9ac37020f.png

image.thumb.png.ff9dcc87a3bf2951bb1170190cf3d50b.png

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 8:05 AM, TLCOhio said:

There are still lots of crazy, financial "loose ends" out there, including this headline of "Crypto Exchange FTX Files for Bankruptcy, CEO Resigns."  Sure glad that I did not "invest" (or gamble) with that crazy Crypto crap.  Any losers out there who has lost big money with Crypto?  I always viewed it as "smoke and mirrors", not anything real and trusted.  Was I right or wrong?

I'm with you Terry. There is no there there. But to many,  the Emperor is still wearing clothes. It could be the hologram of him wearing clothes that they are seeing and believing, created by those core Crypto kings that need to keep their financial ponzie scheme afloat. I knew we were reaching new heights of craziness when I found an FTX ad in my fortune cookie. Then came the super bowl commercial, naming rights and magazine cover. 

We are now entertained daily by Bankmans mea culpa interviews. Listening to him explain the co mingling of customer segregated funds sends me rolling on the floor with laughter.  "It's all Omnibus".  "I don't know how it happened". "I've had a bad month". "I really messed up".  "I didn't have the bandwidth to run two companies at once."  😂🤣🤣

Customers could check a box if they agreed to lend their Crypto out, but those that didn't check the box were ignored and funds were lent out anyway. Boom.

He needs an adult time out in the big house.

I thought Cathie Wood was on the aggressive side a few weeks ago on crypto

https://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-outlook-million-2030-crypto-cathie-wood-ark-ftx-collapse-2022-11

but Tim Draper (I don't know Tim) came out today I guess extending his timeline 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/05/tim-draper-predicts-bitcoin-will-reach-250000-despite-ftx-collapse.html

can't make this stuff up

18 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I thought Cathie Wood was on the aggressive side a few weeks ago on crypto

https://www.businessinsider.com/bitcoin-outlook-million-2030-crypto-cathie-wood-ark-ftx-collapse-2022-11

but Tim Draper (I don't know Tim) came out today I guess extending his timeline 

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/05/tim-draper-predicts-bitcoin-will-reach-250000-despite-ftx-collapse.html

can't make this stuff up

I happened to catch that Cathie Wood interview. She was spewing the same double talk that Bankman used to and all the other "believers". Same beady darting eyes.   I can't believe people keep giving her money, even with her track record.  Is ARK still down about 60% for the year?  Don't know Draper either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I happened to catch that Cathie Wood interview. She was spewing the same double talk that Bankman used to and all the other "believers". Same beady darting eyes.   I can't believe people keep giving her money, even with her track record.  Is ARK still down about 60% for the year?  Don't know Draper either. 

Personally I found the $1MM comment to be outrageous, she is down this much YTD and has the hutzpah to say something like that and the media just goes along.  Yes ARKK is down over 60% YTD.  ARKK stock is also lower (marginally) than it was 12/31/2017, the S&P is up ~45%,  QQQ up ~ 84%.    There may be some capital gains and other considerations in there so I attached the Morningstar returns which says ARKK is up 1.95 over 5 years.  Only in America.

I've never heard of Tim Draper either but IMO its a similar situation CNBC runs a story on a guy who said crypto would hit $250,000 by the end of THIS year now he's pushing his target out to mid 2023.   Huh.

https://www.morningstar.com/etfs/arcx/arkk/performance

• Like 1

Tim Draper........or son of Spock?

Bizarre that I had never heard of him and now he's all over the place. Watching him on TV as I write. Says his call for $250k will be caused by a flight to quality.  And also that women have not discovered Crypto that much yet, they don't see what the real benefits are yet. Women control 80% of retail spending and once retailers accept bitcoin the women and the retailers will see how beneficial this is for them.  It's the equalavant of going from shells to gold.  🤣🤣🤣.

I had to rewind to be sure I really heard him right. Tried to quote him accurately. 

I have this vision of a TV commercial: Women discover Crypto and run out to buy Louboutins like they are on sale at TJMaxx.

You can't make this up is right!

Before I forget, the CFO of Royal Caribbean Nagtali Holtz is on Bloomberg Wed 7:30pm MST. The show is "Bloomberg Chief Future Officer". Could be interesting.

20221205_132108.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

I have this vision of a TV commercial: Women discover Crypto and run out to buy Louboutins like they are on sale at TJMaxx.   You can't make this up is right!

Before I forget, the CFO of Royal Caribbean Nagtali Holtz is on Bloomberg Wed 7:30pm MST. The show is "Bloomberg Chief Future Officer". Could be interesting.

Appreciate these great follow-ups and comments from highplanesdrifters and R&T about the troubled nature of Crypto, etc.  Not sure if I will be able to tune in for the Royal Caribbean CFO on Wednesday night.  Hopefully you will share here a sampling of his insights, viewpoints, etc.  

From the Yahoo Finance News this morning, they had this headline: Is Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL) Recouping From its COVID Lows? with these highlights: “Ariel Investment highlighted stocks like Royal Caribbean Cruises in the Q3 2022 investor letter. Royal Caribbean Cruises shares lost 16.36% of their value over the last 52 weeks. Royal Caribbean has a market capitalization of $15.441 billion.”

Among the Ariel summary was: "Over the long term, we believe the headwinds travel and leisure are experiencing will soften and expect RCL’s fundamentals will prove resilient in the face of adversity. At today’s valuation, RCL is currently trading at a nearly -60% discount to our estimate of private market value."

Full story at:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/royal-caribbean-cruises-ltd-rcl-130618876.html

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 31,638 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

From the Wall Street Journal, below is the chart for Royal Caribbean showing a major negative slide for their stock yesterday and so far today.  What is happening and why??  Part of it is the overall market, but is there something specific affecting the cruise stocks?:

image.thumb.png.6d69aa857140bc7c91dd01ea760845e3.png

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 7:21 PM, highplanesdrifters said:

I've got it taped. Will report after we watch it.

Any updates, details, etc., from highplanesdrifters as to what the Royal Caribbean CFO was able to share earlier this week?

From the Wall Street Journal late this afternoon, below are the charts for the three major cruise lines during trading over the most recent five days.  

Royal Caribbean started the week at $61.42 early Monday morning and went downhill for the rest of the week to slightly above $56.  The other two major companies had similar downward slides.  Right?

From late 2018, see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 21,461 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the major cruise stocks?  Not exactly a positive week, nor trend?:

image.thumb.png.ba06266003b1dbaa269a627026099812.png

image.thumb.png.2566bd94cc527b7f5f49e6d530f7ef50.png

image.thumb.png.9ff7f58cb9ca08e41538737083a2fd50.png

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

Any updates, details, etc., from highplanesdrifters as to what the Royal Caribbean CFO was able to share earlier this week?

Just watched it. Nothing earth shattering, puff piece with lots of chearleading. Their focus is on additional on board revenue, tackling debt, going green with LNG, energy prices. Discussion of new ships including the 7,000 passenger mega water slide ship that I'm meeting @RetiredandTravelon. 🤣 Rah rah rah. For some data I found interesting, see pics of TV screen.

Have a great weekend everyone!  Remember Christmas Cookies have 45% fewer calories than other cookies.

20221209_135648.jpg

20221209_134502.jpg

20221209_134310.jpg

20221209_134216.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Just watched it. Nothing earth shattering, puff piece with lots of chearleading. Their focus is on additional on board revenue, tackling debt, going green with LNG, energy prices. Discussion of new ships including the 7,000 passenger mega water slide ship

Great updating and follow-up from highplanesdrifters.  Yes, would have expected a puff piece with cheerleading.  That's what they do, right??   The charts you shared were excellent and very interesting.  

From the Wall Street Journal late this afternoon, below is a chart for what happened with the S&P 500 stocks during this past five days of trading.  This index moved in a downward direction that matches up closely to the negative trend for the three major cruise stocks during this same period.  

Summer 2019 Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

image.thumb.png.42cc008542106261df59f9a050dabe64.png

• Like 2

On 12/8/2022 at 9:23 AM, RetiredandTravel said:

New analyst at JP Morgan assumes coverage of NCLH & RCL and is off to a slow start, had to issue a correction to his initial note (Tuesday) and price target.  Ouch.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/royal-caribbean-norwegian-cruise-stocks-51670351137

Appreciate the cute comment from highplanesdrifters and follow-up from QueSeraSera regarding: "Christmas Cookies have 45% fewer calories than other cookies".  Is this true?  If I believe in the Tooth Fairy and Easter Bunny, is it possible to have possible this 45% fewer calories hope/fantasy?    

From  Wall Street Journal's sister publication of Barrons earlier this week as smartly shared by R&T that had this headline: Norwegian Stock Is a Buy, Royal Caribbean Is a Sell, I found these highlights of most interest: “The J.P. Morgan analyst wrote in his latest research note that 'our conviction that there could be downside risk to estimates is based on our expectation for lower than expected average ticket prices in 2023/2024… and a lower occupancy base relative to history early next year, which should render it difficult to offset in the balance of 2023 to achieve Royal Caribbean’s record annual Ebitda target.' ”

He also shared his reason for a more positive outlook for Norwegian with an: "outsized growth potential versus peers, as Norwegian has a smaller, nimbler, and younger fleet with premium pricing.”

Full story at:

https://www.barrons.com/articles/royal-caribbean-norwegian-cruise-stocks-51670351137

Early 2020, many visuals and details from New Zealand/South Pacific in going from Auckland to French Polynesia.  This includes Bora Bora, Fiji, NZ experiences, etc:  Live/blog;

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2735732-live-terryohio-“new”-regatta-south-pacificnz-pix’s/

• Like 2

From the Wall Street Journal yesterday, below is the chart that show a super, SUPER wild trading day for Royal Caribbean.  Peaking at $59.32 at the start of the morning and then dropping down to $55.10 mid-day.  That's a drop of $4.22 per share or a 7.1% reduction in just three hours.  Amazing??  

Not sure what is happening and/or why.  Clearly the market is a little "confused" these days over questions of inflation (that remains high at 7.1%), interest rates going up, recession impacts, etc.  

Anyone have understandable answers as to these economic puzzles?  Yesterday, Dec. 13, was wild.  It was not Friday the 13th, but things seemed very unusual. Right or wrong?

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 255,591 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

image.thumb.png.a227ef13407b7900001f93334ac9b5d0.png

Hey Terry, I've been bit tied up so don't have any micro detail, perhaps others do. But I don't believe the swings were specific to RCL. They mirror the S&P chart.  That rally at the opening on Tuesday off the inflation numbers quickly faded once they got into the weeds and the market realized perhaps they weren't that great, and that there was still plenty of inflation.  Just read some info on lots of RMDs happening now. We got a stubbornly Hawkish Fed. Throw in a little FTX crypto entertainment.  All that with the double top at 4100 seems to be raining not snowing on the Santa Claus rally.

Screenshot_20221215-070022_Bing.jpg

Edited by highplanesdrifters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Hey Terry, I've been bit tied up so don't have any micro detail, perhaps others do. But I don't believe the swings were specific to RCL. They mirror the S&P chart.  That rally at the opening on Tuesday off the inflation numbers quickly faded once they got into the weeds and the market realized perhaps they weren't that great, and that there was still plenty of inflation.  Just read some info on lots of RMDs happening now. We got a stubbornly Hawkish Fed. Throw in a little FTX crypto entertainment.  All that with the double top at 4100 seems to be raining not snowing on the Santa Claus rally.

From the Wall Street Journal at mid-day, below is their chart for the S&P 500.   Yes, agree that much of the Royal Caribbean slide is tied to the overall market conditions and uncertainty.  Great mention as to the connections with the RMD's pouring out near year-end, plus the crypto train wreck, interest rates continuing to rise, etc.  

Sure glad that I am not a cruise company CEO trying to juggle these various economic factors and guess how it will impact future consumer travel plans and confidence. 

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 245,591 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

image.thumb.png.fa23c9bdef58e7cea42b4b0d14606665.png

22 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Screenshot_20221215-070022_Bing.jpg

To add to the misery the S&P 500 also had a couple major fails to get above the 200 day MA (4030) and may test the 50 Day MA today (3861).   A double top may also be forming in the Dow (34300) going back to mid August.  There also seems to be a decoupling of stock and bond prices which indicates the possibility the market is getting more concerned about a recession which probably wouldn't bode well for cruise stocks.  but it is Christmas, never underestimate the power of Christmas 🤩

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

To add to the misery the S&P 500 also had a couple major fails to get above the 200 day MA (4030) and may test the 50 Day MA today (3861).   A double top may also be forming in the Dow (34300) going back to mid August.  There also seems to be a decoupling of stock and bond prices which indicates the possibility the market is getting more concerned about a recession which probably wouldn't bode well for cruise stocks.  but it is Christmas, never underestimate the power of Christmas 🤩

Appreciate this great follow-up by R&T about "never underestimate the power of Christmas."  But, then there are the "real economics" that hit in January and February when you must pay the bills from the holiday spending.  Right?

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they had this headline: Americans Pessimistic About Prospects for the Economy in 2023, WSJ Poll Finds" with this sub-headline: "Over a third of voters say inflation is causing them major financial strain.  Below is a WSJ chart used to illustrate one of their poll question results.  For background, this is a poll of the general USA voting population, not a survey of only their newspaper subscribers/readers. 

Here are some of their poll highlights: A majority of voters think the economy will be in worse shape in 2023 than it is now and roughly two-thirds say the nation’s economic trajectory is headed in the wrong direction, the latest Wall Street Journal poll shows.  The survey, conducted Dec. 3-7, suggests a recent burst of positive economic news—moderating gas prices and a slowing pace of inflation—haven’t altered the way many feel about the risk of a recession, something many economists have forecast as likely.

For Silversea dealing with a higher-end, older customer base for more costly cruises, this trend might not be as seriously impactful.  But for parent Royal Caribbean that must attract a much wider "mass market" customer, this data indicated that 2023 could be challenged for hitting their desired numbers and generating cash to pay off the huge borrowings.  Reactions?

Here was an interesting finding from their survey: "Younger voters are more pessimistic about the economy’s prospects next year than older voters. Roughly six in 10 of those ages 18-34 expect it to be worse over the next year, while 42% of those 65 and older feel that way."

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/americans-pessimistic-about-prospects-for-the-economy-in-2023-wsj-poll-finds-11671150300?mod=hp_lead_pos5

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 239,754 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

image.thumb.png.cb5567a321c0a443364f05789c7fbf04.png

From the Wall Street Journal late yesterday afternoon, below are the stock charts for the three major cruise ship corporations.  The trend?  Downward!!  Also below is the S&P 500 chart to reflect the overall market trend and the three-year history for Royal Caribbean.  

Clearly, the "tide" is not, for now, upward and positive.  The market senses negative "clouds" out there with higher interest rates, consumer confidence falling, lay-offs happening, etc.  Am I missing any major factors and future economic impacts to consider?

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 98,049 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

From the Wall Street Journal, below are the charts for the major cruise stocks.  Was this a positive, confidence-building week to prepare a longer-term trend?:

image.thumb.png.08083203ac8e4fc40ea2487e7306e880.png

image.thumb.png.11b8606724918d55601b44435998b637.png

image.thumb.png.204fa7dca82f80f316a6933657f1cd17.png

From the Wall Street Journal, below is their chart for the more broad, overall S&P 500 Index during the past month.  Clearly this past week, as happened with the three cruise stocks, was a downward period.  What for early 2023?:

image.thumb.png.069a988ad2f877db27593cf556dd890d.png

From the Wall Street Journal, below is the chart for Royal Caribbean during the past three years.  From a peak of $135.05 on Jan. 13, 2020, things have been rocky and generally negative during the nearly three years of Covid challenges. For 2022, RCL stock prices have not been great, but they are upward compared to July 14, 2022, when its price was down to $31.09.  Is now a good time to buy or hold?:

image.thumb.png.1e36dec042e6f47c93b67d404b7e3204.png