Final payment now extend to 60 days

Janet76

We noticed final payment for our August 2020 sailing is now changed to June 23, 2020.  However, if we decide to cancel for a full refund, HAL agent told us we have to do it before May 24, 2020.  We are confused about this.  We thought we can cancel before final payment due date for a full refund.

J

4 minutes ago, Janet76 said:

We noticed final payment for our August 2020 sailing is now changed to June 23, 2020.  However, if we decide to cancel for a full refund, HAL agent told us we have to do it before May 24, 2020.  We are confused about this.  We thought we can cancel before final payment due date for a full refund.

J

Did you book directly with HAL or use a TA?  What does it say on your confirmation letter?

Edited by DaveOKC

They temporarily changed the policy on final payment, they haven't changed the cancelation policy to match however.  We are in the same boat (ship), final payment was May 31st, now June 30th for our August 29th Koningsdam sailing.  We seriously doubt the Alaska cruises go forward at all, however given what they have offered for previous cancelations, if they cancel before May 31st then we likely will take the FCC if it matches what they have previously done.  For us we only have $450 down in deposit so not concerned about losing that if everything goes in to hell.   If they don't cancel by May 31st then we cancel.  That is our chicken date. 

You are correct.  We just confirmed with Hal agent. Our final payment was  May 24th, now June 23rd.  HAL did not change cancelation policy to new extended final payment date.  So we have to cancel before May 24th to get a full refund. 

J

• Like 1

I am confused. My cruise departs (maybe) July 25th. My account says my final payment is due May 26th. It was originally due tomorrow (April 26th) 

We paid a deposit of $100 each for a total of $300.

What are the ramifications if I wait until May 26th to either pay the balance or cancel?

Thank you for any insight.

You should call  today and cancel if you want full refund.  After tomorrow, sliding scale for cancelation policy kicks in. I could be wrong but it’s better to call and talk to HAL agent to be clear. 

Edited by Janet76

51 minutes ago, Janet76 said:

You should call  today and cancel if you want full refund.  After tomorrow, sliding scale for cancelation policy kicks in. I could be wrong but it’s better to call and talk to HAL agent to be clear. 

Thank you, I did call today and started the refund process. It was actually a cruise credit I bought on our cruise last year and immediately applied to this booking.

I appreciated this information. It didn't occur to me the cancellation policy didn't change!

Grateful to Cruise Critic forums.

14 minutes ago, PandaBear62 said:

Thank you, I did call today and started the refund process. It was actually a cruise credit I bought on our cruise last year and immediately applied to this booking.

I appreciated this information. It didn't occur to me the cancellation policy didn't change!

Grateful to Cruise Critic forums.

Assuming that you mean the Future Cruise Deposit that they sell on the ship, if you cancel a cruise that you booked with that, the deposit just goes back into your HAL account, no refund involved, unless you made other payments or deposits.

With current situation, I wish HAL would match cancelation policy with new extended final payment.  We have no choice but to cancel in few weeks if HAL does not revise the current policy or cancel 2020 season.  Since we cannot sail next year, FCC does not work for us.  

J

2 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Assuming that you mean the Future Cruise Deposit that they sell on the ship, if you cancel a cruise that you booked with that, the deposit just goes back into your HAL account, no refund involved, unless you made other payments or deposits.

yes, I did buy the deposit on the ship, but was told it was 100% refundable when I bought it. I actually bought two and requested refunds for both and was told it had been requested. So I don't know.

To get a full refund, get to your credit card company ASAP - indicate the situation is a "third party default" - this means your TA is in default because they do not have your $, the cruise company does and the TA can not meet the terms and conditions of the cancellation at the time of booking.

We were told beyond 60 days is not acceptable.

The credit companies are VERY interested in the behavior of the cruise lines and they are compiling a list of default suppliers. Have your original invoice and highlight the terms and conditions of cancellation.

Do not, do not take no for an answer. 

The cruise lines are actively stealing consumers money - do not put up with it.

11 hours ago, PandaBear62 said:

yes, I did buy the deposit on the ship, but was told it was 100% refundable when I bought it. I actually bought two and requested refunds for both and was told it had been requested. So I don't know.

The deposit is 100% refundable, since if you do not use it, after 4 years they send you the $100 back.  Not sure how it works if you ask for it back prior to that.  Everytime I have cancelled a cruise, the $100 deposit went back into my HAL account (you cannot see it, only the TA can).

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

The deposit is 100% refundable, since if you do not use it, after 4 years they send you the $100 back.  Not sure how it works if you ask for it back prior to that.  Everytime I have cancelled a cruise, the $100 deposit went back into my HAL account (you cannot see it, only the TA can).

So I don't know what will happen, but I will let people know.