Christmas markets

AtMaui

On 4/27/2020 at 11:05 AM, AtMaui said:

Any thoughts on this?  I have a Tauck cruise booked in December on the Danube.  Since Oktoberfest has been cancelled, I wonder if the Christmas markets will also be cancelled.

Too early to tell.  We also have a Christmas market cruise in December booked; waiting to see what happens.

It really is too early to say. As you will be on the Danube you perhaps stand a better chance as Austria is doing okay and easing restrictions on gatherings. But I get the feeling all politicians and medical experts are in agreement that large scale events will be the last thing to return to social life. So, I am sceptical about the standard Christmas markets. Whether they can be held in a scaled down version might enter the discussions. I do not think we will hear much about it before July.

notamermaid

• Like 1

Another factor is that epidemiologists are expressing concern over the Fall flu season as combined with a resurgence or "phase II" of coronavirus.  Holiday markets are truly wonderful experiences.  However, they also represent crowding together in close contact with others.  If there is some way Germany, France, Austria and others can make it work, I'm sure they will try.  We should know by 1 October whether these will be cancelled just like Octoberfest.