Damaged luggage

silkismom

New topic--has anyone had luggage damaged by Oceania? When we got off the Regatta 13 Jan, the pull handle of our large hardside was broken off. We reported it to the lady on duty who took our name, stateroom number, email & said that Mario, the concierge, would be contacting us. Its been over 3 weeks now. I called customer relations & left a message, but haven't heard anything back from anyone. Not sure how to proceed with this. The suitcase is basically worthless w/o a handle to pull it--too big to just pick up. Thanks Ann

You might want to call your TA and have them contact Oceania..but the truth is there is no way to prove Oceania damaged your bag..It could have been the airline or even the ground crew that off loads the bags..I would check the terms and conditions.I would think Oceania takes no responsibility for damaged bags..also check you insurance and see if you are covered for damaged luggage..

Jan

..but the truth is there is no way to prove Oceania damaged your bag..

I believe that the OP is clear on who broke the handle...if it was attached when they put the books out before disembarkation and broken when they picked it up shoreside then clearly it wa the offloading process that is responsible. Proving it, however, would be difficult.

Portolan, there are two different groups that would handle the luggage from the time it leaves your room. The Oceania staff loading it into the bins and the dock/port workers who take it out. Then there are the shifts within the bins as well that could also be a factor, might not have been a human hand at all but another piece of luggage..... The hard part is proving when it happened and how.

Portolan, there are two different groups that would handle the luggage from the time it leaves your room. The Oceania staff loading it into the bins and the dock/port workers who take it out. Then there are the shifts within the bins as well that could also be a factor, might not have been a human hand at all but another piece of luggage..... The hard part is proving when it happened and how.

Understood, but it is still part of what you are buying from Oceania. If one could prove definitively that the luggage was unbroken when put out for pick-up and then broken when received shore-side I'd certainly expect Oceania to take responsibility. A parallel case is air travel where the final segment airline is responsible for any damage without regard to the fact that it might have happened by contract ground crew at the departure airport, or the first airline, or the second airline, etc...

Like I said, the problem is proving it.

Archived