Advice please

We have just been notified of the (expected) cancellation of our Baltic cruise due to take place at the end of May 2020.

Living in Spain on extremely strict and well policed lockdown since March 13th we can see that we, will not be allowed border crossing for a while to come, and certainly wouldn't want to put any more strain of front line workers so no cruises for us this year or early 2021.

Husband, not wanting to travel too far fancies a Fjords cruise.  However, our cancelled cruise was with NCl and there is nothing much on offer that I can see.

To take advantage of our 125% FCC and 20% discount  on a new booking that we have been offered, we are looking at the below. Are there any negatives I have not picked up on please?

SOUTHAMPTON (LONDON), GREAT BRITAIN
29 Aug 2021

AT SEA
30 Aug 2021

NEWHAVEN (EDINBURGH)
31 Aug 2021

STAVANGER
01 Sep 2021

ALESUND
02 Sep 2021

HELLESYLT
03 Sep 2021

GEIRANGER
04 Sep 2021

AT SEA
05 Sep 2021

SEYDISFJORDUR
06 Sep 2021

ISAFJORDUR
07 Sep 2021

REYKJAVIK
08 Sep 2021

AT SEA
09 Sep 2021

There is something wrong with the itinerary. Hellesylt and Geiranger are always the same day; there is a technical stop in Hellesylt to disembark passengers that are going overland to Geiranger, and then the ship continues on to Geiranger for the rest of the passengers. If that is the case, there seems to be another sea day in there, or maybe you have missed another port.

There is something wrong with the itinerary. Hellesylt and Geiranger are always the same day; there is a technical stop in Hellesylt to disembark passengers that are going overland to Geiranger, and then the ship continues on to Geiranger for the rest of the passengers. If that is the case, there seems to be another sea day in there, or maybe you have missed another port.

That detail does seem incorrect. No ships spend a day in Hellesylt. Rarely more than a half hour. There's nothing there. And it's barely more than a half hour away from Geiranger.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone. I had not noticed the port times you are all correct we are just one hour in Hellesyit (do we have tome to get off not a massive ship but 2,340 passengers)  then straight to Geiranger

Denise 

1 hour ago, deniseatnycs said:

Thank you everyone. I had not noticed the port times you are all correct we are just one hour in Hellesyit (do we have tome to get off not a massive ship but 2,340 passengers)  then straight to Geiranger

Denise 

Unless you are doing a ship sponsored excursion from Hellesylt to Geiranger you are not allowed off the ship.

5 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Unless you are doing a ship sponsored excursion from Hellesylt to Geiranger you are not allowed off the ship.

This Forum is fantastic thank you gnome2 I was just about to look up private excursions as the NCL one is expensive.  Would anyone know if it is worth doing please.  I wil try and find the details 

Denise 

This Forum is fantastic thank you gnome2 I was just about to look up private excursions as the NCL one is expensive.  Would anyone know if it is worth doing please.  I wil try and find the details 
Denise 
In my opinion, the sail into Geiranger is one of the most beautiful fjord areas. I'd stay on the ship, enjoy the amazing views (from up on deck), and enjoy Geiranger.
For private tours to all the viewpoints, look into the Panorama Exclusive Bus tour.

3 hours ago, just_dont said:

In my opinion, the sail into Geiranger is one of the most beautiful fjord areas. I'd stay on the ship, enjoy the amazing views (from up on deck), and enjoy Geiranger.
For private tours to all the viewpoints, look into the Panorama Exclusive Bus tour.

I think that I agree with you, but, on the other hand, you will have the sail OUT of Geiranger in either case.

I was supposed to do Norway last summer, but the cruise was cancelled due to ship problems. I was looking very seriously at the Hellesylt to Geiranger excursion. But I think I would have been happy either way. Alas! Not sure when I will get to Norway, but I definitely want to do so.

Yes, it's the same scenery on departure, but the lighting is different, and there's just something magical about the quiet morning sailing in past the Seven Sisters and rounding the band revealing the tiny town of Geiranger.

I've cruised to Geiranger twice and never regretted not doing an overland tour from Hellesylt to Geiranger. In my opinion, the highlight of Geiranger is the Geirangerfjord, so I'd rather enjoy both the sail-in and sail-out, since the overland trips tend to visit other scenery in the area. I usually go hiking on my own in Geiranger, but there are several options for getting up into the hills for an overhead look at the fjord, which I highly recommend as the scenery looking down is significantly different from the perspective you have looking up from the ship.

That said, this isn't really a Norwegian fjord cruise if that's what you're after. It's more of a hybrid between a fjord cruise and an Iceland cruise. The Norwegian ports are Stavanger, Ålesund, and Geiranger, and Geiranger is the only Norwegian fjord port on the itinerary. Ålesund is also a pretty coastal town, and Stavanger is a small coastal city, though you can take a small boat cruise from the city center to the nearby Lysefjord. With calls at both Seydisfjordur and Ísafjörður, you're actually seeing more Icelandic fjords (both the western and the northeastern incidentally) than Norwegian ones.