Best way to attract people back to P&O Cruises when some semblance of normality returns?

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

From what I can see Pete there is nothing to stop them going into PUB section and setting one up.

Politics covers a wide set of issues and so does the pub area not just the P&O section .

Too much faffing and fiddling around to usefully follow more than I forum, if you use a smart phone.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Judging by some posts on here recently, maybe a political discussion group would be an attraction (provided it is well supervised). 

Judging by some of the comments on here the polotikos aren't cruising any way, staying indoors. So we can get P&O to do some holiday stuff. Rum punch making lessons etc.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Too much faffing and fiddling around to usefully follow more than I forum, if you use a smart phone.

I don't own a smart phone John but my old Nokia phone I can easy set up a shortcut to take me to any page.

As you say though maybe I would be "faffing and fiddling around" if I owned a high tech smart phone .:classic_unsure::classic_wink::classic_smile:

3 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Judging by some of the comments on here the polotikos aren't cruising any way, staying indoors. So we can get P&O to do some holiday stuff. Rum punch making lessons etc.

Rope knot tying and stevedore diy for beginners as well :classic_unsure: 

• Haha 1

Interesting that Ventura is off to India, to repatriate some of the p and o and Cunard staff. Makes me doubt August or sept as a restart date.

back on track, I think they need to be bold and cut the no of pax to start with until they can prove safe travel for a few months.

3 minutes ago, amfc_lenny said:

Interesting that Ventura is off to India, to repatriate some of the p and o and Cunard staff. Makes me doubt August or sept as a restart date.

back on track, I think they need to be bold and cut the no of pax to start with until they can prove safe travel for a few months.

Even if they reduce pax by 50%, trying to enforce social distancing etc is very difficult.

More to the point, which country is going to allow hundreds of Brits ashore? 

• Like 3

It’s interesting that p and o to the best of my knowledge don’t really do the round British isles cruises that princess do. I could potentially see that working as a small scale trial. 

I do wonder if In the late autumn some of the eu will start to allow tourists. 

I know we are in a pandemic but at some point we have to start the global economy again

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I don't think having a political discussion group will attract people back to P&O. How about more quizzes in the afternoons on sea days. We may get a few more of them if we can't dock anywhere. Music round the pool on sunny days ??.

It used to be a popular enough topic of conversation on cruise lines such as P&O a while back (and certainly Swan Hellenic - sadly missed) but the clientele has changed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

I don't own a smart phone John but my old Nokia phone I can easy set up a shortcut to take me to any page.

As you say though maybe I would be "faffing and fiddling around" if I owned a high tech smart phone .:classic_unsure::classic_wink::classic_smile:

If you dont have a smart phone kalos how do you manage to get on the internet, do you use semaphor?🙂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

If you dont have a smart phone kalos how do you manage to get on the internet, do you use semaphor?🙂

As I posted on the Will track and trace make cruising more difficult? :classic_smile:

it's not a case of not having a phone , I do have one and I bought it a few years ago. It's a windows phone Lumia 530 and it does everything I want from a phone ,like calls ,texts and internet (basic) which does for wifi should I need it. I have never wanted it for e-mails ,so it does everything what I need it to do. Windows stopped doing Apps for this phone and updates ages ago and I will not be rushing out for a new phone anytime soon.

Us from Yorkshire don't part with things easily John ,which I'm sure you will understand being from these parts of the world .:classic_smile:

While it's doing what I  need .."If it aint broke why fix it " outlook :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Interesting article here about Neil Ferguson

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/six-questions-that-neil-ferguson-should-be-asked

Probably just as well that he is no longer involved in making policy.

Please!  The Spectator?  What would you expect from that particular weekly, with its own right-wing agenda and readers who'd mostly want to see deaths before lockdowns for financial reasons.

That was the agenda, you'll recall, before Ferguson's advice was taken.  Are you seriously suggesting that would have been the right approach, given the number of additional deaths amongst the elderly in particular it would have caused - along with the swamping of the NHS?

And remember - his predictions were based on no action being taken.  The action taken on his advice was the thing that prevented them happening.  How can you criticise that?

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Please!  The Spectator?  What would you expect from that particular weekly, with its own right-wing agenda and readers who'd mostly want to see deaths before lockdowns for financial reasons.

That was the agenda, you'll recall, before Ferguson's advice was taken.  Are you seriously suggesting that would have been the right approach, given the number of additional deaths amongst the elderly in particular it would have caused - along with the swamping of the NHS?

And remember - his predictions were based on no action being taken.  The action taken on his advice was the thing that prevented them happening.  How can you criticise that?

Didn't he say we should all have the app. That may help to get cruising up and running again. Sweden may open up some ports. Stockholm is quite pleasant.

10 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Didn't he say we should all have the app. That may help to get cruising up and running again. Sweden may open up some ports. Stockholm is quite pleasant.

For some reason, someone appears to have a personal grudge against the man, despite the fact that his advice has saved thousands of lives. If it had been taken earlier it would have saved thousands more.

He made a stupid decision to have a visitor, even though he considered himself to be immune.  He’s apologised and resigned.  How many politicians making mistakes in this crisis have done that?

His advice will be sorely missed.

11 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

For some reason, someone appears to have a personal grudge against the man, despite the fact that his advice has saved thousands of lives. If it had been taken earlier it would have saved thousands more.

He made a stupid decision to have a visitor, even though he considered himself to be immune.  He’s apologised and resigned.  How many politicians making mistakes in this crisis have done that?

His advice will be sorely missed.

Personally I couldn't care less about the man. Seems that her poor husband had the virus as did the good professor, so it was ok to jump in the car and take a trip across London for a liaison. Seems like us ordinary people have to live by different rules. Nice day tomorrow, so we can jump in the car and drive an hour for a day at the seaside. But plod may object. But I won't be joining the Ferguson fan club anytime soon. Getting back to the thread, do you think downloading has app may help get cruising up and running sooner?🤒

Edited by zap99
Spelling

2 hours ago, wowzz said:

Interesting article here about Neil Ferguson

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/six-questions-that-neil-ferguson-should-be-asked

Probably just as well that he is no longer involved in making policy.

And the alternative viewpoint:  

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/06/headlines-neil-ferguson-coronavirus-death-rate

It happened more than a month ago, and it’s politically very convenient to run the story on a day when our death figures take us even further up the death league and the PM is being questioned on that.

21 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

And the alternative viewpoint:  

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/06/headlines-neil-ferguson-coronavirus-death-rate

It happened more than a month ago, and it’s politically very convenient to run the story on a day when our death figures take us even further up the death league and the PM is being questioned on that.

At the end of the day, Ferguson has been proved wrong on numerous occasions, starting with F&M in 2001. 

No reason to believe he is right now.

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

At the end of the day, Ferguson has been proved wrong on numerous occasions, starting with F&M in 2001. 

No reason to believe he is right now.

You keep saying that - but have provided no evidence at all.  Just opinion, based on something you personally didn't like the outcome of.

I'd back Imperial College against our personal opinions any day though:

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/people/neil.ferguson

48 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Getting back to the thread, do you think downloading has app may help get cruising up and running sooner?🤒

If the app helps to eliminate the virus from UK, maybe it will help. I tend to think the more common Apple / Google one would be more likely to encourage other nations to accept UK visitors but of course we have chosen the other one (or had it chosen for us). 😒

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

despite the fact that his advice has saved thousands of lives. If it had been taken earlier it would have saved thousands more.

I'm interested to see your evidence for that, compared to how many people have died due to not being able to access medical treatment for cancer, transplants etc.

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I'm interested to see your evidence for that, compared to how many people have died due to not being able to access medical treatment for cancer, transplants etc.

So are you saying that we should have had no lockdown, and that the government's whole lockdown policy of protecting lives and the NHS is wrong then?  They do seem pretty committed to it.

6 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

So are you saying that we should have had no lockdown, and that the government's whole lockdown policy of protecting lives and the NHS is wrong then?  They do seem pretty committed to it.

The lock down has nothing to do with Ferguson. Italy, Spain, Germany managed it without him.

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

Seems some of you are never going to agree. I don't know whether he's brilliant or flawed. Bottom line he did something stupid and, rightly,paid the penalty. As for the timing I have far more urgent thing to think about.

Slightly more on topic I worry about some of the things we are all now told to believe are essential in tackling this pandemic.

As a former computer programmer I don't like anomalies.

Many have stated that we started testing too little and too late. Maybe - but then you have to explain the situation in Japan.

They have done very little testing even by UK standards but have hugely less deaths even in a country with over a 100m population. If testing is so important, explain why?

Then there's Sweden - no lockdown that most other countries would call a lockdown. Yes, their outcome so far is worse than their Nordic neighbours but it's hardly catastrophic and they have been able to keep far more parts of their economy going.

Why is Cofid-19 not rampant in Sweden? 

Just me musing.

22 minutes ago, wowzz said:

The lock down has nothing to do with Ferguson. Italy, Spain, Germany managed it without him.

Hang on a minute, there - you might like to read this:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8120501/Draconian-shutdown-measures-18-MONTHS-coronavirus-report-warns.html

Sorry it's the Mail, but government supporters distrust the Guardian and most of the others are paywalled.  

Italy Spain and Germany were urging us to follow suit, Italy in particular, but we took no action because somebody right at the top thought there were better uses for his time while those critical Cobra meetings were taking place.

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

If the app helps to eliminate the virus from UK, maybe it will help. I tend to think the more common Apple / Google one would be more likely to encourage other nations to accept UK visitors but of course we have chosen the other one (or had it chosen for us). 😒

Shouldn't be too hard to change apps. Perhaps having both is an option. Early days yet.

1 hour ago, NoFlyGuy said:

Seems some of you are never going to agree. I don't know whether he's brilliant or flawed. Bottom line he did something stupid and, rightly,paid the penalty. As for the timing I have far more urgent thing to think about.

Slightly more on topic I worry about some of the things we are all now told to believe are essential in tackling this pandemic.

As a former computer programmer I don't like anomalies.

Many have stated that we started testing too little and too late. Maybe - but then you have to explain the situation in Japan.

They have done very little testing even by UK standards but have hugely less deaths even in a country with over a 100m population. If testing is so important, explain why?

Then there's Sweden - no lockdown that most other countries would call a lockdown. Yes, their outcome so far is worse than their Nordic neighbours but it's hardly catastrophic and they have been able to keep far more parts of their economy going.

Why is Cofid-19 not rampant in Sweden? 

Just me musing.

Yes does make you think - and a lot a of variables.  I think it will be a long time before we have any definitive answers, if we ever do!  I reckon population density is a significant factor though.   

Oslo is so different from London - not the traffic, crowds or densely packed buildings.  It has a population of under 700,000 compared with London's 9m.  There's a wide disparity in this country from rural areas to cities.  Sweden has only about one seventh of the population of the UK so their figures need to be multiplied by 7.  They are still doing better than us though but with a land area almost double that of the UK perhaps with a more thinly spread population, transmission rates are lower.  Just my musings.....