More whale opportunities leaving Vancouver or out of Seattle?

FaithPlus1

I've gone on 2 NCL cruises that left out of Vancouver returning in Seward (I'm a party of 1 and go whenever the rates have dropped). I've been frugal each time first getting a guaranteed oceanview room (lucked out and had a huge porthole with a very minor obstruction which was being on the walking/jogging path), and then a guaranteed interior (room was okay). I've decided to take the plunge and finally get a balcony because I remember hearing people tell me how they regularly saw whales out of their balcony. 

That said, which route are you more likely to see whales on a July/August cruise? Going Vancouver to Seward, or going Seattle to Seattle?

I realize there's a high chance that the cruise will end up canceled, so I have guarded optimism.  Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

However.   you need to invest a lot of time,  "looking"  getting like seconds of view.  🙂    I  spend a great deal of time,  and am always successful.   But,  I also know specific areas where they are frequently seen.    

It's pure chance,   but, you won't see any if you don't look.  🙂   

Vancouver! Done both ways but saw the most whales when we did Seward to Vancouver! I spent a lot of time on deck at the back of the boat looking for them though!  If you get into Vancouver a day or so early, you can also go out whale watching with some great companies there!

To increase your viewing opportunities,   you always track from ahead,   not from the back.   Scanning is necessary,  tracking exhalations-  which is how you see the animal.   You then have extended viewing by tracking.    looking back- you've missed over 50% of your potential viewing.    It's important if you want the most success-  you've got to be on the move- forward and side to side.  🙂    

Educate yourself on behaviors.   These are sea animals who spend 95% +++  of the time, under the water.  🙂   Gaining these skills are of significant benefit in knowing and identifying  what you are seeing .