What do you think will happen in Hawaii if NCL is gone?

Firepath

2 minutes ago, Newleno said:

I am just trying to figure what would be an approximate salary for a POA room attendant, just some type of general formula, say they only worked 70 hours per week $10.10 is minimum wage in Hawaii? 40X10.10=404, then overtime pay 30X10.10X1.5=454.5, combine them and you have $858.5 per week, annual basis equivalent = $44,642  plus room and board.

Overtime is less than 150% of straight time, at most 125%, maybe less.  When the ships first started in Hawaii, the deck/engine crew had an overtime rate of $0.35 less than their straight time rate.  This is legal if the collective bargaining agreement says it is okay.  We straightened that out within the first year, getting them up to 125%, but I'm not sure of the rate for the hotel staff, as they are represented by a different union, and agreement.

Then, you are saying that the crew get paid fully for 52 weeks, and this is not correct.  They will work 12 weeks on and 4 weeks off, so 39 weeks a year (40x$10.10 +30x$12.62=$782) and get 13 weeks of base pay ($404), so about $35,000 (I think this is a bit off, I don't believe the OT rate is quite that high).  The whole room and board issue is somewhat irrelevant, unless the crew are living rent free at home with their parents, since they would still be paying rent/mortgage on their home even while onboard, and if they have a family, they are paying for their board.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Then, you are saying that the crew get paid fully for 52 weeks, and this is not correct.  They will work 12 weeks on and 4 weeks off, so 39 weeks a year (40x$10.10 +30x$12.62=$782) and get 13 weeks of base pay ($404), so about $35,000 (I think this is a bit off, I don't believe the OT rate is quite that high).  

Thanks just kind of trying to get a general idea, very general estimate of the pay for the front line POA employees

Well I for one hope everything smooths out. We have taken Princess LA RT Hawaii and loved the long sea voyage. That said we also loved the extra time on the islands with NCL. Which did cost more that the 2 week Princess trip this is true but would do it again. As a matter of fact even with the higher cost we hope to take the family there in a few years for the week with NCL. So please keep positive thoughts for those of us looking at future cruising in beautiful Hawaii.

Take care all and please be safe.

36 minutes ago, Newleno said:

Thanks just kind of trying to get a general idea, very general estimate of the pay for the front line POA employees

The bigger problems are they aren't used to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, they haven't been away from home for more than a couple of nights in a row, and they haven't shared a room with 3 strangers, with only 1 small drawer and a locker not much bigger than the one they had in high school for all their belongings.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

well go on another line. I checked the price for NCL hawaii and compared it to Celebrity and NCL was so expensive.

One time i checked the price for 7 days and it was 1899 for an inside cabin, then i went and checked a 16 day cruise on Celebrity out of San Diego and it was 999 inside stateroom, with great itinerary.

Totally inaccurate for me.    “Hawaii” is a great itinerary-  not 10 sea days on a  rt Ca sailing.    The benefits of long port times and overnights are no comparison.  

29 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Yes, they acquired the $4 billion in credit they needed yesterday.

Thanks for agreeing with me, Chief.  With so many negative folks on these boards now,  it's refreshing to have a positive response.