Will New Zealand be open for WC 2021

crusinbanjo

I just read this morning that the PM in New Zealand said that their borders are "going to be closed for a very long time"  I tried to find more info on this but have struck out.  Mrs Banjo and I are currently scheduled for 2 segments of the 2021 WC ending in Aukland Feb 13, 2021.  Any intel on what is meant by Very long?  It would be very helpful, because I don't want to be on a cruise that ends somewhere unintended.  

Here is a link to the article  https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52540733

Edited by crusinbanjo
add link

Everyone with future cruises are looking for reassurance. Nobody has all the answers right now. It would be just best to see when the first ships start cruising again and see how they do. If nothing goods happens by November then you could cancel and get all your money back. Just my option... 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, carefreecruise said:

Everyone with future cruises are looking for reassurance. Nobody has all the answers right now. It would be just best to see when the first ships start cruising again and see how they do. If nothing goods happens by November then you could cancel and get all your money back. Just my option... 

I’m thinking I don’t want to make final payment unless I am comfortable that the cruise will likely go as advertised.  So that means I need to make a decision by September 7

4 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

I’m thinking I don’t want to make final payment unless I am comfortable that the cruise will likely go as advertised.  So that means I need to make a decision by September 7

Cruisinbanjo, I do not have a crystal ball but if I was to take a guess I would err on the side of New Zealand not being open to cruise ships by September 7. As I’m sure you know Australia and New Zealand have a very close relationship so I think by September the borders between our two countries will be open but only for land travel and even then it will probably be very restricted, maybe just to visit relatives. But I state again, I have no more info than anyone else. I just thought a view from someone from this part of the world might help.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jland said:

Cruisinbanjo, I do not have a crystal ball but if I was to take a guess I would err on the side of New Zealand not being open to cruise ships by September 7. As I’m sure you know Australia and New Zealand have a very close relationship so I think by September the borders between our two countries will be open but only for land travel and even then it will probably be very restricted, maybe just to visit relatives. But I state again, I have no more info than anyone else. I just thought a view from someone from this part of the world might help.

I agree with your opinions too.

Unlikely Australia or NZ will have open borders for the leisure industry until well into 2022. And with the problems they’ve had with cruise ships and COVID - 19, I would suggest that the decision on when ships other than local cruises can visit will be dependant on how well the freeing of borders with air/land travel goes. Tragic I know. For ourselves, we have cancelled all four of our future cruises until we see what happens. 

And I guess the Pacific Islands, where thankfully there is very little or no infection at the moment , will be very careful when they decide to welcome cruise ships again. Their fragile medical systems could not cope. 

12 hours ago, jland said:

Thanks for that input.  I am planning to call my friends down under tonight for their insight as well.  Was hoping to spend time in Oz after the cruise, that might not be possible now either.  Oh well, just have to wait &  see.