Anticipate changes due to virus. Mask maker idea.

Izena

According to cruise critic some river cruise companies are making some changes for safer cruising.  ACL has not announced any changes.

it wouldn’t be unrealistic for no more open seating   Instead being assigned a table and eating with the same people all week.  

I am bored and have been making masks.   For all the mask makers  I  have an idea.   I will be bringing 6 extra masks (all the same fabric)

for possible table mates.    It would be fun if other mask makers would do the same.  (if multiple masks are made for same table we could vote —- if that is the case we should bring 8 extra then we could offer another table the masks that are extra)I will also be bringing fabric markers so cruisers could label their masks.   I’m praying my July 25; 2020 Puget Sound Cruise  does not get cancelled.

On 5/13/2020 at 10:40 AM, Izena said:

According to cruise critic some river cruise companies are making some changes for safer cruising.  ACL has not announced any changes.

it wouldn’t be unrealistic for no more open seating   Instead being assigned a table and eating with the same people all week.  

I am bored and have been making masks.   For all the mask makers  I  have an idea.   I will be bringing 6 extra masks (all the same fabric)

for possible table mates.    It would be fun if other mask makers would do the same.  (if multiple masks are made for same table we could vote —- if that is the case we should bring 8 extra then we could offer another table the masks that are extra)I will also be bringing fabric markers so cruisers could label their masks.   I’m praying my July 25; 2020 Puget Sound Cruise  does not get cancelled.

Sounds like a "do-able" idea, although we are not big fans of masks, especially at meal times.

Dining will present enough "problems".

We also have an upcoming ACL cruise (sailing 01 August -- hopefully).  Fortunately, no flights , nor pre/post hotels involved, for this cruise.

NRayH

On 5/13/2020 at 10:40 AM, Izena said:

Just discovered this on the ACL website:

We have taken additional steps to enhance protocols, and to ensure guests are comfortable booking their travel with flexibility. For additional information please call American Cruise Lines toll-free at 1-800-460-4518.

Onboard Health and Safety Procedures

• Onboard Certified Medical Staff

• Pre-Cruise Health Screening of all Guests and Employees

• Increased time between guest departure and arrival for full vessel sanitation

• Continuous Sanitation of all common areas

• Private transportation to / from excursions

• Transmission barriers with touchless solutions for all shipboard experiences

• Hand sanitizing stations placed throughout ship

• PPE available at all times

• Enhanced food safety protocols following FDA Best Practices and Guidelines

• No buffets

• Dining room capacity limited to 50%

• Room service available for all meals

Not sure what they mean by "transmission barriers" or "private transportation."  AQSC has also announced new protocols, though in much greater detail.  They, for example, will be doing a temperature scan every time a passenger boards the vessel, and say that any passenger who appears to have contracted a "contagious disease" (a common cold, even?) will be not allowed back on the vessel to continue the cruise.   

Overnight, I see ACL has added additional detail to their Covid-19 protocols.  Like AQSC, boarding will be denied to anyone with flu-like symptoms.  But at least they seem to have made provisions for letting someone who gets sick on the cruise stay on the cruise:

• Isolation rooms will be created and made available as necessary. An allotment of staterooms aboard each ship to be sanitized and kept unoccupied unless they become necessary for isolation purposes.

Still in a quandary about canceling our July 31 cruise.  I'm almost hoping ACL cancels it, taking the decision out of my hands.  For the moment, though, I still think we'd go.  These new guideline details are encouraging.

The new protocols are reassuring to us, but.....  We have deposited on a Hudson River Cruise in mid-October and have until mid-July to pay the balance. We’ve opted for the Cruise with Comfort offer to give us more time to assess the situation, if we do pay the balance. If the “second wave” occurs, that will decide it for sure for us. Hoping it’s a go, but almost resigned to waiting a year.