Norwegian Border Closure Extended

lovestx

3 hours ago, lovestx said:

I wonder if Viking is waiting until the Risk Free Guarantee May 31, 2020 deadline passes before cancelling the cruises.  I am considering starting a new booking for July 2021 before the deadline so that I will still have that protection and then take my refund for the 2020 cruise when they finally cancel it.

My gut says no.  I think they are unrelated situations.  If Viking is waiting, I think it is to let the accounting department catch up. It seems pretty clear to most of us that between the airlines cutting back flights and borders still being closed -- or open but with restrictions -- that July and August cruises will probably be canceled.

HOWEVER, my gut does say that if you are thinking about traveling 13 months from now, that you should book under the guarantee simply because we have no idea what the new normal will look like in the travel industry  and we have no idea if we will want to travel under those conditions. 

Even without the risk-free language, you have up to 121 days prior to departure to cancel with only a $100pp penalty. Risk-free simply adds some assurances and allows you to cancel for any reason once the heftier penalties kick in at 120-days out without completely kissing your money good-bye. It will be for a future cruise voucher and not cash -- which is still better than losing everything. Especially important since even with cancel for any reason coverage, canceling because of COVID-19 still is not covered by our travel insurance.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Especially important since even with cancel for any reason coverage, canceling because of COVID-19 still is not covered by our travel insurance.

If it's cancel for any reason, can't you just say anything? Why would COVID-19 limit that?

18 minutes ago, Jab843 said:

If it's cancel for any reason, can't you just say anything? Why would COVID-19 limit that?

Even policies providing "cancel for any reason" have limitations and exclusions. The Viking Insurance has 22 listed in Part A, which is the component covered by Viking and not the insurance company.

2 hours ago, Jab843 said:

You may find this Cruise Critic article about travel insurance helpful: https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5242&et_cid=3323708&et_rid=85377508&et_referrer=Boards_Million_Member_Newsub

Got an email from our travel agent last night saying he had heard from Viking that they are extending cruise cancellations to August 31, 2020.  We will now cancel and rebook under the Risk Free Guarantee.

I have just moved our September 2020 Eastern Seaboard Explorer to September 2021. Should things not have improved by this time next year, because we have done this before 30 June, we will be able to cancel and get a FCC, or move to another cruise to be taken within 2 years, I.e up to 2023. In my book a really customer friendly strategy.