Repatriating, and returning with new crew?

Fivehole

I’m confident I’ll be trashed if this has been addressed elsewhere, and/or if this is a dumb one, but I haven’t seen it..after the ships repatriate crews, are they returning with crew members on new contracts? Presumably they will also be testing out new health and safety protocols while en route to be implemented upon receiving guests when sailings resume?

• Like 1

That is generally the plan. First to repatriate those onboard (which is easier said than done as many of the countries are not wanting to take their citizens back off the ships). Manila harbor looks like a cruise ship parking lot with 20 something ships waiting out quarantines and waiting for test results to come back before they will allow their citizens to return. Ultimately when they have a firm idea of restarting they can take on new crew/consolidate with existing and head back. 

Hi,

As I’ve said previously, our son is a Carnival employee on the Fun Squad. EVERY Contract is “new”.  He is evaluated near the end of his Contract by his Supervisor, with Fun Squad that is the Cruise Director.  It, of course, is an actual legal Contract good for a specified amount of time. His Contracts have been 6 months. Afterwards he has been given 2 months off —unpaid. Our son lives with us, and I can say that he needs time on land before committing to another cruise.  

Think how we’re all feeling with the Stay At Home!  He’d tell us ... you just can’t understand Mom!  I walk outside my (shared tiny) Cabin and I’m ON .... no matter how I feel mentally or physically ... for 6 months straight! BTW, he loves his job and the friends he’s made. He doesn’t like every aspect of it, who does?  The debark?? Yep .. not a “favorite” kinda stressful. 😉

Onboard, He seems to have a “Honeymoon Phase“ for about 3 months, a “I’m used to it”,  then that last month or so .... Counting The Days to Home.  This is my opinion as his Mom. 😄

He keeps in contact with his friends he’s worked with, it’s a mixed bag with his friends on those wanting to go back to Ship Life and those not sure. But, IMHO,  get a vaccine and I think those on the fence would return (who were going to anyway, before the Virus).

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Edited by Markmom18
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

As I’ve said previously, our son is a Carnival employee on the Fun Squad. EVERY Contract is “new”.  He is evaluated near the end of his Contract by his Supervisor, with Fun Squad that is the Cruise Director.  It, of course, is an actual legal Contract good for a specified amount of time. His Contracts have been 6 months. Afterwards he has been given 2 months off —unpaid. Our son lives with us, and I can say that he needs time on land before committing to another cruise.  

Think how we’re all feeling with the Stay At Home!  He’d tell us ... you just can’t understand Mom!  I walk outside my (shared tiny) Cabin and I’m ON .... no matter how I feel mentally or physically ... for 6 months straight! BTW, he loves his job and the friends he’s made. He doesn’t like every aspect of it, who does?  The debark?? Yep .. not a “favorite” kinda stressful. 😉

Onboard, He seems to have a “Honeymoon Phase“ for about 3 months, a “I’m used to it”,  then that last month or so .... Counting The Days to Home.  This is my opinion as his Mom. 😄

He keeps in contact with his friends he’s worked with, it’s a mixed bag with his friends on those wanting to go back to Ship Life and those not sure. But, IMHO,  get a vaccine and I think those on the fence would return (who were going to anyway, before the Virus).

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Best of wishes to your son; I hope he gets to sail again soon. Is he one of the ones who does the trivia contests and give away those lovely ships on a stick?

11 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

🛳🛳

Bobbi 

Thanks for the inside look and a perspective that not everyone gets to see. 

I'm sure the big question is has any of your son's work associates been contacted about new contracts? Any kind of insight your son can share with us? 

14 hours ago, Fivehole said:

I’m confident I’ll be trashed if this has been addressed elsewhere, and/or if this is a dumb one, but I haven’t seen it..after the ships repatriate crews, are they returning with crew members on new contracts? Presumably they will also be testing out new health and safety protocols while en route to be implemented upon receiving guests when sailings resume?

Of ALL the various articles I've read about this I've yet to see that the cruiselines are using the current self repatriation efforts to also bring aboard new employee contracts for a possible restart of cruises.  You would think if that's the plan it would have been written up. It would be nonsensical that the cruiselines would go through the expense of using their own ships to repatriate crewmembers at the end of their contract to only recall new crew members 4-6 weeks later and have the logistics of finding them air transportation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Of ALL the various articles I've read about this I've yet to see that the cruiselines are using the current self repatriation efforts to also bring aboard new employee contracts for a possible restart of cruises.  You would think if that's the plan it would have been written up. It would be nonsensical that the cruiselines would go through the expense of using their own ships to repatriate crewmembers at the end of their contract to only recall new crew members 4-6 weeks later and have the logistics of finding them air transportation. 

That's what I'm saying - I have yet to see anything indicating these ships would be returning with new crew? The Breeze for example, in Europe right now repatriating, scheduled to be one of the eight ships to resume sailing from Port Canaveral 8/1. I can't imagine it will sail empty back to Port Canaveral and await crew via air? Yet nothing to indicate they will return to FL with new crewmembers aboard. Odd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Would seem like a great opportunity to have new crew on board, testing and training on new protocols. 

1 hour ago, Fivehole said:

Would seem like a great opportunity to have new crew on board, testing and training on new protocols. 

What that says to me is that there's no intention to startup cruises in the near future.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Best of wishes to your son; I hope he gets to sail again soon. Is he one of the ones who does the trivia contests and give away those lovely ships on a stick?

Why yes he is! 😂  On Wednesday evenings at 7:00pm for the last few weeks on FB has been hosting Music Trivia. 🎶🎶  Just for fun, something to break up the week. Last week he did 20 Disney Tunes & 20 Movie Songs.  Tomorrow night is Beatles nights! Yippie!  
🛳🛳

Bobbi 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Thanks for the inside look and a perspective that not everyone gets to see. 

I'm sure the big question is has any of your son's work associates been contacted about new contracts? Any kind of insight your son can share with us? 

Nobody HE knows has been contacted yet. He’s on some sort of Wait List, but no real details, and he was messaged that in April.

We’re no experts here, but to Mark and myself, we do believe Carnival will be back cruising.

Yeah, I want to know WHEN too! 😄 I will keep the Forum updated to any news Mark gets, he needs to be prepared though that he might not get back soon. Thousands of employees want their jobs too. If it’s based on seniority — he’s only got 3 years. 🙁 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

• Like 1

Nobody HE knows has been contacted yet. He’s on some sort of Wait List, but no real details, and he was messaged that in April.

We’re no experts here, but to Mark and myself, we do believe Carnival will be back cruising.

Yeah, I want to know WHEN too! 😄 I will keep the Forum updated to any news Mark gets, he needs to be prepared though that he might not get back soon. Thousands of employees want their jobs too. If it’s based on seniority — he’s only got 3

Yeah, I want to know WHEN too! 😄 I will keep the Forum updated to any news Mark gets, he needs to be prepared though that he might not get back soon. Thousands of employees want their jobs too. If it’s based on seniority — he’s only got 3 years. 🙁 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Why yes he is! 😂  On Wednesday evenings at 7:00pm for the last few weeks on FB has been hosting Music Trivia. 🎶🎶  Just for fun, something to break up the week. Last week he did 20 Disney Tunes & 20 Movie Songs.  Tomorrow night is Beatles nights! Yippie!  
🛳🛳

Bobbi 

years. 🙁 

🛳🛳

Bobbi

Just wondering if I have met your son. There was a new member of the fun squad doing trivia on our Carnival cruise 3 years ago this summer. Maybe it was him.

Was his first ship the Carnival Fascination out of San Juan?

12 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Just wondering if I have met your son. There was a new member of the fun squad doing trivia on our Carnival cruise 3 years ago this summer. Maybe it was him.

Was his first ship the Carnival Fascination out of San Juan?

Hi,

His first Cruise was out of Florida.  IDK if you’ve ever done a Land vacation in Puerto Rico, but it such a wonderful island!!   We had 2 cruises stop in San Juan, never enough time to go explore. So in 2016 & 2017 we took our 2 week vacations ... just 💚💚 our time here. 
  🛳🛳

Bobbi 

7 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

His first Cruise was out of Florida.  IDK if you’ve ever done a Land vacation in Puerto Rico, but it such a wonderful island!!   We had 2 cruises stop in San Juan, never enough time to go explore. So in 2016 & 2017 we took our 2 week vacations ... just 💚💚 our time here. 
  🛳🛳

Bobbi 

I guess it was not Mark that I met. Too bad, if it was I had wonderful stories to share.

• Like 1

Sorta doubt they are taking on very many contracts right now.   Two months out from sailing, is a lot of time to have to feed, payroll and house everyone.    I bet they end up leaving ships around the world to quickly pick up crews.   Or just fly them in, since it's not going to be that many ships starting back up.

• Like 2