All Inclusive Beach Day in Puerto Vallarta or Mazatlan??

jagofast

Looking for something similar to Mr. Sanchos in Cozumel,  in either Puerto Vallarte or Mazatlan. Haven't been to either ports in over 15 years and really unsure whats there for beaches. Cruising on the Carnival Panorama in early October, and Carnival does not offer anything similar, if there is anything similar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would think that Las Caletas is about the closest thing we have to something like Mr. Sanchos.  It will be an excursion sold by your cruise ship and cannot normally be booked on your own since the operator, Vallarta Adventures, has a deal with the cruise lines not to sell direct to cruisers.  You will walk directly from your ship to a large boat which will take you across the Bay to the privately leased Las Caletas beach facility.  They have a beach, food, booze, etc.  The entire operation is top notch and is fine for those that want a beach day and could care less about seeing Puerto Vallarta.  The same folks operate a night tour (for cruises and locals) called Rhythms of the NIght which is also highly recommended.  This is only offered to cruises that are in port until late at night or that does an overnight.

Hank 

I'm going on a similar cruise in March 2021 on Princess which is owned by Carnival. From my research, Princess uses Hotel Playa Mazatlan for it's resort day which includes transportation, 1 hr of shopping, and 5+ hours at the all-inclusive resort for $69.95. We plan on buying direct from the resort for 590MXN and taking our own transportation. I don't know which resorts they use in PV. We are looking into Westin Resort & Spa for 350MXN (includes 200MXN food credit) and Hotel Ziva for $65 all-inclusive. See these links below for other resort day passes:

Mazatlan: https://www.traveloffpath.com/hotels-that-offer-day-passes-in-mazatlan/

PV: https://www.venturists.net/best-puerto-vallarta-beach-clubs-day-passes/

I cannot help but put in a plug for Puerto Vallarta.  DW and simply love the town, region, people, culture, food, etc.  While some cruisers like to look for nearby resorts that have day passes, we think they are often short changing themselves with that kind of day.  Resorts (especially those out at Neuvo Vallarta) are very nice and will often be similar to what you would expect to find in Florida, California, etc.  Being at a resort means you miss out on an opportunity to discover some of the real Mexico.  PV has plenty of shops, a large flea market, excellent art galleries, many wonderful food venues, lots of bars, etc.  It is a place where Mexicans and gringos interact and there is lots of mutual respect.   Even or those that do spend some of their day at a resort we would urge them to also come into town (Centro and the Zona Romantica/Old Town), walk around, and soak up the atmosphere.   We first came to PV (over 20 years ago) on a cruise.  That experience brought us back for 10 weeks a year and we consider it our 2nd home.     You are spending a lot of money to visit Mexican ports, so go out and try to discover why more then 50,000 gringos vacation or call the region, Home!"

Hank

Hank, I wish there was a "Thumbs up" button!  My primary PV "adventure" is to visit El Malecon, enjoy the stores and the sculptures, visit the Lady of Guadalupe, and then kill my kidneys on the drive back from downtown.  We have certain stores we always visit -- e.g., Ole and Marino & Marino.  And we have to check out the treasures in Galeria el Triunfo (and I pray that my wife doesn't find anything too large there).  

The closest thing for me to an all-inclusive resort would be a visit to Stone Island in Mazatlán (or to Las Flores hotel in Mazatlán's Zona Dorado), not at all an AI, but with everything a la carte, that is a much better deal for this non-drinker!

I hope the recovery is doing well in PV, Maz and Cabo.  I've heard that some very popular bars are permanently closed (e.g., one of the Monkeys, maybe Cheeky, but I'm not sure which because of conflicting reports).  

1 hour ago, Mike45LC said:

Hank, I wish there was a "Thumbs up" button!  My primary PV "adventure" is to visit El Malecon, enjoy the stores and the sculptures, visit the Lady of Guadalupe, and then kill my kidneys on the drive back from downtown.  We have certain stores we always visit -- e.g., Ole and Marino & Marino.  And we have to check out the treasures in Galeria el Triunfo (and I pray that my wife doesn't find anything too large there).  

The closest thing for me to an all-inclusive resort would be a visit to Stone Island in Mazatlán (or to Las Flores hotel in Mazatlán's Zona Dorado), not at all an AI, but with everything a la carte, that is a much better deal for this non-drinker!

I hope the recovery is doing well in PV, Maz and Cabo.  I've heard that some very popular bars are permanently closed (e.g., one of the Monkeys, maybe Cheeky, but I'm not sure which because of conflicting reports).  

Oh No!  Say it isn't so!  Anything but the Monkeys :(.  I had not heard of any problems with those two bars/cafes.  We live right on top of the Sea Monkey and I would be truly shocked if Troy lost his lease and gave up that business.  As to the Cheeky Monkey, I would be less surprised if he closed that place.   When DW and I arrive at our Condo (in early January) one of our first traditions is to head downstairs and to the Sea Monkey to have a beer (only $1) and salsa,

As to the recovery in PV, my last direct contact left PV last week so we have lost our only direct contact for news.  But just today the owner of our Condo told me that our Condo (which is a major facility in the Old Town/Romantic Zone) is in the process of bringing back the maids (they are full time employees of the building) and getting our building back to something akin to normal.  The town has taken a huge financial hit since they lost the entire Easter season (a major tourist season).  We will have to wait until next Oct-Nov to see which restaurants have survived COVID-19.  We have already purchased our air for our usual winter season in PV and look forward to getting back to our 2nd hometown.   While we suspect that COVID-19 will still be around next winter, DW and I have decided we would just as comfortable in PV as in the USA and the weather in PV is much nicer then here.

Hank

Hank

Thank you to everyone so far for the replies. We are cruising on Carnival Panorama with approx 20 of us and we were hoping to find an all inclusive beach day somewhere other than through Carnival.

Hank, I read it on the TripAdvisor PV forum, which I have been looking at for current status reports.  But the thread it might have been on is over 150 posts, so I can't easily find the one that mentioned the Monkey.

3 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Hank, I read it on the TripAdvisor PV forum, which I have been looking at for current status reports.  But the thread it might have been on is over 150 posts, so I can't easily find the one that mentioned the Monkey.

I have not seen anything on a few private blogs, but few expats/locals would  go to the Cheeky Monkey.  The owner is generally an absentee owner (he lives in Oregon) and I have not seen any posts from him.  The current situation in PV is that the city has opened up....despite COVID-19.  Los Muertos Beach (this is one adjacent to the Old Town/Romantic Zone) is now fully opened.  Folks are supposed to wear masks when out and about.  More restaurants and shops have been opening.   Although it is impossible to get a firm number, some good local sources are reporting there are about 500 COVID-19 cases in the area.  I find this very sad since the population this time of the year is way down when compared to the high seasons.

Hank

Hank --- if you go to the Cheeky Monkey site on Facebook, he says he is or has closed it.  Only went there for nachos & a beer when we stayed at Vista del Sol a few years ago....sounds like the Sea Monkey is still open.

14 hours ago, 57redbird said:

Hank --- if you go to the Cheeky Monkey site on Facebook, he says he is or has closed it.  Only went there for nachos & a beer when we stayed at Vista del Sol a few years ago....sounds like the Sea Monkey is still open.

Thanks for the tip.  We just looked at that FB site and I guess it is true since Gaby (we know her) does speak for the owner.   I would just suggest to cruisers that they visit the Sea Monkey which is located in the Old Town/Romantic Zone where they have a great views of the Malecon and Sea (they have quite a few tables on the sand).   I suspect that when we return to PV next winter we will see many changes in terms of restaurants/bars.   Much of the restaurant/bar scene is not important to cruisers, but for those of us who live (part of full time) those places are a big part of our lives.

Hank