Antarctica Cruise January, 2022

Rickster50

• 4 weeks later...

Along with my three travel friends, I have booked the Antarctica trip which leaves on October 22nd.  We are all very excited,  but, of course we are a bit nervous about the current Covid situation.

Hopefully, all will be well and the trip will go on as planned.  

Had you thought about what you were going to do in the Falkland Islands for 3 days?

We will look out for you while onboard....

Sandra

Except in Stanley, where you get some excursions, you do have to go with the flow in the Falklands if you land on smaller islands. You get ashore and walk around and see the wildlife, there isn't much you can organize in advance there. You can pick excursions in Stanley, from the ship or DIY. Spots are usually limited so it can be a good idea to book in advance if you want to do an excursion. If you want to DIY, then be sure that the excursion is cancellable last minute, as it is always possible that the ship will not dock in Stanley on the expected day (weather conditions prevail). Stanley is nice (but quick) to visit and has a lovely and informative local history museum.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We’re booked on this (also bucket list!) trip and beginning to look at flights.

My husband thinks he saw a recommendation to stay in Santiago for one night after returning from the ship, I guess due to chance of a delayed flight into Santiago.

I can’t seem to find that anywhere. Does anyone know?

Found it! Hurtigruten “strongly recommends” staying overnight in Santiago upon return from the cruise because they won’t know what time the flight from Punta Arenas to Santiago is until shortly before.

(Found that information and much more by following links from the main expedition description page.)

They also have specific gear and clothing recommendations with the ability to buy through an outfit they partner with. Figure we’ll use that resource and find less expensive places to buy it (though on quick glance it didn’t seem really over priced).

On 3/5/2021 at 8:38 AM, karen11g said:

We’re booked on this (also bucket list!) trip and beginning to look at flights.

My husband thinks he saw a recommendation to stay in Santiago for one night after returning from the ship, I guess due to chance of a delayed flight into Santiago.

I can’t seem to find that anywhere. Does anyone know?

Santiago and environs are neat places.  I would plan to spend several days there.

DON

Thanks, Don. We’re going a few days early. Partly to see Santiago and partly to provide a cushion in case January weather interferes with flights.

Anything in Santiago you particularly recommend for probably a 3-day visit?

We are looking at flights too.  Guess we better plan on staying an extra night in Santiago.  Have you talked to Hurtigruten about booking flights?  I’ve requested a call back from their air department but haven’t heard back.  We will also need transfers from airport/hotel pre-trip  and hotel/airport post-trip.  I understand if Hurtigruten arranges air you can purchase transfers from them otherwise you are on your own.  Ml

We had enough miles to purchase airfare (from Pittsburgh), so purchased flights on our own. We'll be figuring out transfers when we figure out where we're staying. Probably the same hotel Hurtigruten is putting us in?

2 hours ago, karen11g said:

We had enough miles to purchase airfare (from Pittsburgh), so purchased flights on our own. We'll be figuring out transfers when we figure out where we're staying. Probably the same hotel Hurtigruten is putting us in?

We are Mary and Ed from Utah and will fly from Salt Lake City through Atlanta or L.A.  I will call Hurtigruten again tomorrow and see what they have to offer air wise.  We will probably stay at the hotel by Hurtigruten, figure it must be ok.

On 3/7/2021 at 6:04 AM, karen11g said:

Thanks, Don. We’re going a few days early. Partly to see Santiago and partly to provide a cushion in case January weather interferes with flights.

Anything in Santiago you particularly recommend for probably a 3-day visit?

We did a full day wine tour w these guys - https://bodegawinetours.cl/.  It was excellent.  If you "talk" to the owner Tom, tell him that Don Schoengold sent you.  Also, if you can spare 5 or 6 days, check out Atacama Desert tours.  It is an experience and a tour that you will never forget.  Check it out.  A bit pricy but worth the money.  When I told my wife that I wanted to do the Atacama, her comment was that it was too expensive.  After the tour, I asked her if she thought it was worth it and she said definitely yes. 

DON

We were in Santiago a year ago pre and post tour, and found it to be a fascinating place.

I can recommend Chile Dream Tours. We did a private 1 day walking tour, and a separate private day tour to Valparaiso, also well worth visiting. They have a range of other tours too.

• Thanks 1

I am on the Jan 2022 Antartic Cruise and recently emailed Hurtigruten to ask about flight bookings (From the UK the cruise fare includes flights from London to Santiago at the moment)

Response was an updated invoice showing BA flights with one day before and after the cruise in the Mandarin Oriental hotel in Santiago and all transfers.

They also stated that we can request a  change to the flights  up to about 2 months before the cruise, for example to add a couple more days in Santiago before the cruise.

The only issue at the moment is that there is no direct Santiago flight to Heathrow for the return as BA are not scheduling the route every day - but this may change by next year. So the current flight booking is with LATAM from Santiago to Sao Paulo, Brazil and then the BA flight to London

We booked with BA on Avios points 360 days out but could only get reward flights for Avios with Iberia on a codeshare via Madrid. However, I checked every day and BA reward  direct flights came up a couple of months before so we switched. We wanted to avoid having to change flights on the journey where there would be another opportunity for our baggage to go astray.

• 10 months later...

We have booked on the Feb, 13th, 2022, sailing to the Antarctic.  Fingers crossed it goes.  We are planning on flying in two days early, seeing Santiago, abit, and resting up for the BIG adventure. We're 'hopeful', as the first reservation in 2021 was cancelled and moved to this sailing.  Since, we're not getting any younger, we would like to complete this adventure, while we can still negotiate, without assistance.  Wonder if there are any other folks joining us?  We're from Oceanside, CA and Cruise often, mainly on smaller ships...