Mardi Gras Further Delay?

Lee Cruiser

19 hours ago, bobandsherry said:

However with all sailings being removed until March, one could draw a conclusion. Carnival rep told me it was due to being sold out with all the other rebookings, however I find it hard to believe that every room was sold out for 3 months.

As noted by others, the sailings through March have not been removed, you just can't book anything.

Three factors could drive the lack of availability:

1. Carnival cancelled a whack of cruises.  Many of those cruisers re-booked, and probably on the Mardi Gras if that was what they originally had booked.

2. Carnival has stated they are trying to reduce the number of pax on board for some period after they start sailing.  I don't know if they have announced numbers, but assuming it could be something like 50% capacity for a period of time, 75% for another period, then full(er) capacity.  It is possible (with or without the re-bookings) Mardi Gras is already at whatever max capacity that Carnival wants to impose.

3. Regardless of max capacity or rebookings, Carnival might be choosing to halt all new bookings on a ship that does not yet exist in their fleet until a very conservative future date "just in case". I strongly suspect this is the reason.

Until operations resume and it is apparent the shipbuilding has continued at full speed, it is all speculation.  Carnival isn't about to discuss these matters publicly.  Carnival reps may have been told something, but I would bet most of their "inside information" is self-generated within the general workforce, not info passed down from senior management, and is therefore rumor-mill/speculation again.

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

3. Regardless of max capacity or rebookings, Carnival might be choosing to halt all new bookings on a ship that does not yet exist in their fleet until a very conservative future date "just in case". I strongly suspect this is the reason.

Until operations resume and it is apparent the shipbuilding has continued at full speed, it is all speculation.  Carnival isn't about to discuss these matters publicly.  Carnival reps may have been told something, but I would bet most of their "inside information" is self-generated within the general workforce, not info passed down from senior management, and is therefore rumor-mill/speculation again.

I agree.  I believe this is the reason as well.

The way I understand it, It's the ship yard that eats a huge loss, when the ship doesn't deliver on time.   I'll have to dig around to find it, but on a Finnish forum, the ship about a month ago was ahead of the current schedule.   They are throwing everything at it around the clock to get it done on time.   This includes the Covid19 setbacks.